“Great choice !”

Soria Moria Boutique Hotel
Ranked #121 of 343 Hotels in Siem Reap
“Great choice !”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

With so many mid range hotels in Siem Reap I took a shot in the dark and chose this hotel and what an excellent choice ! Rooms are big,clean and airy , during my 4 night stay I can say I had no major problems - the beds are comfy ,air conditioning worked just fine , safe box for your valuables, wifi was fast and reliable and the location is just about right if you want to walk to pub street where all the nightlife is and yet it's far enough not to be disturbed by music etc
Just a few things that could be improved - breakfast is a buffet style with eggs/omelette on request however it's not well organized and there needs to be more staff - constantly it runs out of orange/ coffee etc and you have to ask for more ! Also it's states that there is a fitness room , forget it ! It's a tiny room and pretty much everything in there is either old or broken !
As for the staff on reception they could not be nicer and are happy to give you any advice about visiting the temples and will organize a tuk tuk for you no problem !
All in all I can highly recommend this hotel , it's basic but ticks all the boxes !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 119colinm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

4 of us stayed here recently and I have to say we were all a little disappointed;
Upon arrival, although I booked our rooms in advance and direct with the hotel, they couldn't find our reservation. It wasn't until they gave me access to the internet that I was able to show then my confirmation that they eventually found it.
The A/C controls in the rooms have the most complex and unfathomable system, it proved impossible to work properly and I had to get room service to show me how to use it and for them to fix it because it wasn't working. A few hours after they fixed it, the whole room fused with quite a low bang. As we were getting ready to go out and it was dark, I was astonished to be told that we had to wait, in the dark, about 20 minutes for someone to fix it. They didn't offer another room, suggest we wait in the lounge or bar.
After viewing the many trips offered to view the many Wats and other attractions, we were offered erroneous information regarding our prefered trip. If we had taken in this excursion, we would have been at least 5 hours in a tuk tuk, and most of that in the dark. Thankly, I sensed that the information I was given was wrong and didn't take it but used someone else
Finally, because of a very early start, we decided to settle the bills the evening before we left, only to be held up in the morning because the day staff had found out that the bills were wrong!

This hotel is in an ideal location, offers large and spacious rooms and all the staff are friendly. However, its all very well offering jobs to locals with little or no experience, but untrained people, whether its the language or inexperience, should be supervised when dealing with customers. Otherwise, you will keep getting reviews like this

Room Tip: Stay away from the front
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Newark,Ohio
Reviewed 17 November 2013

The staff at this hotel go above and beyond. They are friendly and helpful and sealed our decision to cut our stay, in Phnom Penh, short so we could return for our last night in country. The rooms are spacious , clean and affordable. The hotel is only 2 to 3 blocks from the old market and pub street. Close enough to be convenient and far enough to be peaceful and quiet. We couldn't have been more pleased with our decision to stay there (twice). We had a late flight out on friday, and they not only stored our bags for us (after our noon checkout), but allowed us to shower before heading to the airport. Thank You Soria Moria for making our trip perfect.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pcceh
Reviewed 15 November 2013

What a great place. But where should I start? The rooms are light, spacious and luxurious and a great place to cool off from the heat of the days temple excursions.

There is roof top bar with a nice view so you can enjoy the sundown with a cold drink and there is also a small pool to cool off in or spa. Location is perfect.

The main thing that stood out was the staff and the ethos of the hotel. Once a week the restaurant has $1 night where the locals can come and train in a real working environment giving them invaluable experience. Also a large percentage of the shares (I think 51%) have been allocated to the Cambodian workers so when they work there they get a slice of the action. The Hotel supports continuing education so they gain invaluable work experience and business skills, complete their education and become shareholders! This lets them properly support their families and helps build the local community for the long term, rather than profits going offshore. It's an inspiring place to be and the direct result from a customers point of view is that you get amazing service while knowing your dollar is going to the right people for the right reasons. Only if this business model could be repeated throughout countries like Cambodia then everyone would be better off! I can't recommend this more highly.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 127innes
Warner Robins, Georgia
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

The Soria Moria was recommended to us by some friends who had stayed there in 2012. Airport pick up was included and we were met by Dara, who became our personal tuk tuk driver for the duration of our stay. When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted with fresh cold tea and taken to our room on the top floor. We were also given free drink vouchers but we never had time to use them. The room was comfortable but the wifi was intermittent. It did not work at all one morning, but as soon as I called the front desk, they had a man in the ceiling tiles downstairs fixing and resetting the router - that's good customer service! The breakfast was included and was tasty. I corresponded with Sochen prior to our arrival and Sochen helped book us into Haven restaurant (#1 in Siem Reap), which I found to be amazing customer service! The best part of the hotel stay was meeting our tuk tuk driver Dara. He was so kind and took great care of us. He took us on a half day journey around Angkor Wat, Bayon, and the other surrounding temples as well as a tour of Siem Reap. He also took us to dinner each evening. My friend was lost in Angkor Wat and Dara went out to find her and he did :) his driving was safe and his English was great. The hotel is so close to the old central market, night markets, pub street and all the other restaurants. We also ate at Khmer Kitchen which was yummy. Thank you for making our visit to Cambodia memorable!

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Lslusars
Herndon, VA
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Located less than 5 minutes walk from Pub Street (where tourists eat, shop & party in the evening), Soria Moria makes everything comfortable and easy for a first-time visitor (like me) to Siem Reap.

My room was spacious, comfortable, clean and quiet. The service and staff were wonderful, and they went out of their way to make me feel welcome and appreciated.

There’s a restaurant on the first floor that’s open all day long. My very reasonable room rate included breakfast, and one morning I got to choose two items from a menu list, and the other two mornings I was offered a breakfast buffet. I also had lunch in the restaurant one day. Everything I ate was tasty and fresh.

I arrived in Siem Reap without making any advance plans for tours, but that was not a problem. In my room, I found an easy-to-use listing and description (including distance, time and cost) of possible tours, activities and day-trips. The front desk makes all the arrangements for you, and this can be done on a same-day or day-before basis. My day-long tour to the Angkor Archaeological Park included a personal English-speaking tour guide who was excellent, as well as tuk-tuk transportation; cost was $35 for the tour guide, and $15 for the tuk-tuk.

Speaking of tuk-tuks, Siem Reap is small enough that getting around by tuk-tuk is both perfectly fine as well as fun. There were always two or three tuk-tuks parked out front of the hotel, and in your room you are provided with a price guide regarding how much to pay depending upon where you’re going. Included in my room rate was a ride from the airport, and as promised, there was a driver waiting for me upon my late-evening arrival.

There are lots of places to get a massage in Siem Reap, but you don’t have to leave the hotel to do so. The hotel will arrange a massage for you (in your room or in their dedicated massage room on the top floor), and the cost is about the same as you’d pay anywhere else in Siem Reap: if I recall correctly, they are about $9 for an hour, or $14 for an hour and a half. I had two massages during my stay, and both were easily among the best massages I’ve ever experienced (and I’m starting to consider myself somewhat of a massage connoisseur).

In addition to the above, the hotel features a number of other amenities which I didn’t use, such as a small rooftop bar, a tiny fitness room, a soaking pool and a little shop selling local goods.

Bottom line, Soria Moria is simply wonderful, and staying there will make your visit to Siem Reap feel even more worthwhile, given the hotel’s benevolent approach to its business.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank afinetraveler
Philadelphia
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I am annoyed at the review from Toronto, Canada. Travelers have different expectations, but no hotel could please this couple. Asking a waiter who speaks limited English for "drinking water", and then whining b/c you "think" the water served caused you and your partner diarrhea is ridiculous. Bottled water is $1.00. Also, scolding Soria Moria for your inability to handle an annoying tuk tuk driver outside the hotel is not the fault of the hotel. Finally, a supposed musty smell in the room? The windows are huge - open them.

1. Location: the hotel is located in an up and coming (read 'less fashionable') area known as Wat Bo. Fifteen min. walk across small bridge to Old Market, Pub Street, Night Market. The welcoming hotel has a kind of upscale backpacker vibe. Young fresh faced travelers mix in with interesting mid level travelers - a great combination.
2. My room #204 was spacious, clean, and comfortable. Big beautiful windows. Room #206 ditto. Elevator, yes. A/C, yes.
3. The cozy Fusion Kitchen restaurant if off the lobby. Food was consistently fresh and simple - Curry Khmer Chicken $5.00 out of this world good. Power, a waiter, was a plus.
4. Soria Moria sent a tuk tuk to pick me up (promptly) from Tara Angkor Hotel across the river (3x as much $ and the food not 1/2 as good) where I was initially staying. Mr. Rihn was my driver. He was not aggressive at all - some days I couldn't find him when I was looking for him! The other drivers were fine.
The one negative was Tony, my burned out guide for Angkor Wat Tour recommended by the front desk.Tony had zero enthusiasm for his subject, yawned frequently, rushed, and was generally bored with the whole Wonder of the World thing. Having travelled thousands of miles and spending thousands of dollars to see Angkor Wat, this negative is unforgivable, but I don't blame Soria Moria - I blame Tony. The hotel will never use him again after his lackluster performance.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo