“Better than expected”

Ranked #119 of 337 Hotels in Siem Reap
perth
“Better than expected”
Reviewed 8 March 2010

I booked the Soria Moria special which was four nights/five days with deluxe room and tours included. Was well worth it and reasonably priced. The room was spacious and all the little extras were thought of. The staff could not have been more helpful. The tour guide provided for Ankor Wat was really knowledgable and spoke good english. The driver provided for all the tours and pickup and drop off at the airport was just a delight to be with giving us a real insight into life in Cambodia. He gave us an experience we might not otherwise have had. The hotel was in a great location within walking distance to the main shopping markets and restaurant area. You could hear a bit of traffic noise in the room we had but was fine. I would highly recommend this small hotel for anyone going to Siem Reap and enjoyed every minute of my stay there.

1 Thank Mary1962perth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Denmark
Reviewed 6 March 2010

We have read about this hotel o the net and liked the local awereness the owners claimed. An we belive it after our visit.
The basics: The room was nice, clean and comfotable with a little balcony to the street. We were warned abot noise from the road, but it was nothing.
The restaurant offered a fine breakfast and som good but little limited dining menu.
But above all: The extremely friendly, always smiling and very, very charming staff. Not all were shining pro's but their approach to us guest is overwhelming.
Eat at the hotel at least one time and watch the apsara dance - the kids are irresistible.

Sydney
Reviewed 5 March 2010

I couldn't fault this hotel. The staff were wonderful and made us feel really comfortable. The rooms were clean and large and the restaurant was very well priced. One aspect of this hotel that impressed me was how active it seems to be in helping the community, eg once a week they have $1 cocktails and tapas so they can train some of the local citizens in the industry. They also have information relating to the area and in particular information on child trafficking and orphanage scams. Christina, the lady who owns it, clearly cares deeply for her adopted community and this helps to create a friendly, happy atmosphere as the staff clearly love working there.

Clapham, London
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Soria Moria represents great value for money. The location is fantastic, just close to the main town. They hire bikes out for $2 per day whch we used to visit the temples at Angkor Wat. The staff are incredibly friendly and made our stay all the more enjoyable.

The only reason I have not given a 5 for value is that the laundry is quite expensive and I thought the quality of the food for room service was ok but not fantastic. In no way did this ditract from our stay but we have been to other similar hotels/guesthouses where laundry is $1 per kilo (the going rate if you use any laundry) and I would expect this to be the price at the hotel too. We took our clothes down the road to get cleaned which was no problem at all.

All in all a great stay and I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2010
Manhattan Beach, CA
Reviewed 26 February 2010

I stayed at Soria Morial hotel for 2 nights in the first week of February. I booked this hotel after reading the glorious reviews from other guests, and I was not disappointed in the least. The hotel is owned by an expat called Christina. She comes to the hotel only for an hour or so each day but she got the entire staff trained beautifully. A Motor bike taxi brought me to the hotel from the airport (I had only a carry on with me and the moto taxi happily placed it in front of him and I sat behind him. I was scared in the beginning but it was a very exhilarating trip), and immediately the reception staff (I believe her name is Cena) issued me a room right away, explained to me all about the Siem Reap and Angkor wat, showed me on the map how to go to various places in the city and so on. She is just as efficient as beautiful. She also explained about the various options to visit places near Siem Reap and she is just so warm.
I stayed in the hotel for 2 nights and everything was delightful. Did not have a chance to try the roof top bar and tapa but I am sure it would be very pleasant. I had the breakfast at the hotel one time, and it was surprisingly good. I could not have the breakfast the second day because I went to Angkor wat before sun rise and missed the breakfast (may be they would have arranged a packet for me if I requested in advance). Everything worked fine in the room. I tried the massage in the hotel (they got some one from outside vendor) and it was only half way decent, I would try it somewhere out side.
On the last day, my flight was at 5:30 PM and I requested to allow me a late check out and even though my room was allocated to some one else, Christina reshuffled the allocations and kept my room available for me. . That was really nice of her.
I had lunch at the restaurant on the last day, and the food was surprisingly good. and was NOT terribly expensive.
The old town is not too far from the hotel but it is not really walkable at least during the day (gets hot after noon). Need to take a moto taxi or tuk tuk to get there. If that is a concern, try to find a hotel in the old town area (Hotels are quite cheap in Siem Reap). One caution, the hotel is not guest friendly, and if you are planning to have a guest over night, make the arrangement in advance.
Hope my review is helpful and have a wonderful stay at Soria Moria.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
Sydney
Reviewed 24 February 2010

From the moment we arrived we felt comfortable at the Soria Moria - the tuk tuk driver met us at the airport and we had an enjoyable trip to the hotel (free of charge). The reception staff greeted us warmly and were informative (we hadn't been to SE Asia before).

We could either walk or catch a tuk tuk into the centre of town (many hotels we saw were much further away). Our room was spacious, clean and everything worked as it should. We felt safe and well looked after. $1 cocktails and tapas night was a real hit.

The included breakfast was varied and nutritious - a nice start to each day.

Thoroughly recommended.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 February 2010

Stayed at Soria Moria for three nights, but wish I'd had more time to enjoy it. This is a great little boutique hotel that delivers with excellent service and comfortable clean rooms.

First night was an afternoon arrival and early departure next morning, then a few days later another late afternoon arrival with next day out and about in Siem Reap, and an early morning departure the next day. I stayed in a Deluxe Single room that was very spacious, with a large bathroom, large & very comfortable bed, air-con, cable tv, tea & coffee facilities, desk, and balcony. Ultra-clean linen and towels. Lots of choices at breakfast in the downstairs restaurant and a relaxing lobby. Didn't have time to make it to the upstairs bar. The hotel is located across the river from the old town centre, making it a good location for a restful sleep at night but only minutes by tuk-tuk for dining, bars or shopping.

The staff at Soria Moria impressed me with their warm and friendly welcome and attention to detail. Their quality training shows as does the fact that they all seem to enjoy working there, which is reflected in the way that they interact with the guests. Since my stay there I've recommended it to friends who returned from Siem Reap full of praise for Soria Moria. I'd love to revisit again and stay longer!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo