“Helpful staff; a decent choice if you don't believe all the hype”

Soria Moria Boutique Hotel
Ranked #144 of 365 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 21 May 2010

I chose this hotel based on the reviews on this website. I stayed in a deluxe room for 4 nights. Since it is the low season, I got the 4th night free. I chose the deluxe room mainly because the other rooms do not have safes in the room. There are some lockers on the ground floor, but this is supposed to be a boutique hotel, not a hostel. From what I could tell, the difference between deluxe and regular is (1) a larger bed, (2) a sunny room, and (3) the safe. So if you don't care about those things, the regular rooms are a much better value.

The room appears to be very clean because the floors have shiny tiles and the room is sparsely furnished. On a sunny day, it just gleams. However, I was very disappointed to find that my tub mat had large brown stains on it (it was folded so I did not notice until the morning) and the bed sheets seemed to have some old stains as well. I asked for both to be changed. Otherwise, I would say the place is adequately clean but hardly spotless. One night I ordered room service. The next day, my room was made up, but the dirty plate remained. Also, the cleaners always draped the hand towel over the sink. I found this unsanitary and hardly conducive to encouraging people to reuse towels.

The breakfast was pretty good. On two mornings there was a buffet, and on two mornings I ordered from a list since there were not enough guests to warrant a buffet. I had dinner at the restaurant, which was good. There is also a reasonable Burmese restaurant just up the street.

There is a booklet of suggested tours in the room, which I found helpful. Unfortunately the booklet does not contain any prices so you don't know what it's going to cost until you've pretty much decided on what to do. The staff is helpful with arranging these tours and activities.

A couple of things that bothered me (but I did not read in other reviews):
(1) The room is large with high celings, but the lighting is very dim. During the day, the room was sunny and cheerful. At night, I found it a bit depressing.
(2) The furniture was not very functional. There is a wardrobe and a few hangers, but it would have been more useful to have some drawers. Reviewers on this site say they lived there for weeks. I think that would be difficult.

The bottom line is that this place is definitely a step up from a hostel and many guesthouses, but it is not the place where you splurge. At a lower price, it is a reasonable option.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank fiddleleaf
sreytin, Manager at Soria Moria Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2010

Thanks for your valuable feedback. I hope it will be useful for other guests planning their trip to Siem Reap.

I’d like to expand on a few things you have written about in your review, which hopefully will be clarifying for others.

The travelers guide you are mentioning has been compiled in order to make it easy for our guests to find out about activities and sights of interest in Siem Reap and Cambodia, as well as giving helpful tips and advise in how to get there, distance, how to dress/behave, to be a responsible tourist and other information.. Cambodia is a wonderful country with a lot to offer and we would like our guests to experience that. We are passionate about Cambodia, and in the booklet we have written about our favorite things, many of which are free activities that can be reached either by walking or bicycle. Others are further away and can be reached by moto, tuk-tuk, car or 4WD. It is meant to be informative reading for our guests to get ideas and inspiration to see and experience more than just the temples. There are no prices in the guidebook, as entrance tickets or fees are subject to change on short notice, especially depending on the seasons in Cambodia, and we don't want to display wrong prices/information. Instead we have updated price lists in our front office, and also our information boards on the ground floor that you can take to the room to study if you wish. It is possible to combine many activities that are in the same direction in one day tour, to make the most out of the time in Siem Reap (this is suggested in the booklet). Locations are marked on the map in the back of the book to make it easier to get a picture/overview of where everything is located etc. The transportation pricelist is also available on our website, for guests who would like to do planning prior to their arrival. Or front office staff are more than happy to call and inquire/book activities for you at no charge

Regarding to our room categories. We have 3 categories, standard, superior and deluxe. Although the deluxe rooms are similar to our other rooms they are the corner rooms and are slightly bigger (32-36 m2) and have more windows (2 sides of the room) so they are very light and bright, and 3 of them have a small private balcony. Additional amenities in deluxe rooms are king size bed, in room safety boxes, DVD player, and free rental from DVD library downstairs. Before only deluxe rooms had coffee & tea making facilities, but we now keep that inn all rooms. As you say, if those things are not important, the superior rooms (30-32 m2) area cheaper. The standard rooms are also similar (around 30m2), but are located either in the ground floor or 4rth floor. They are our cheapest alternative.

We apologize for the stained bath mat, this is not acceptable and we have had meetings with housekeeping/laundry about this issue. I am happy to let you know that our old bath mats have now been exchanged for new ones.

Regarding lighting in our rooms. We usually get comments that the rooms are very light and bright. However, as we, for environmental reasons, use eco friendly light bulbs, rooms can appear less bright than with the use of conventional light bulbs. In addition to the spotlights in the roof and the desk light, there are dimmers on the bedside lights so you can decide the level of light.

I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast, both buffet and breakfast to order. We usually have buffet, but on days with few guests (such as just after the volcano eruption on Iceland that resulted in flights from Europe cancelled/delayed for weeks, or with the recent situation in Thailand where tourism numbers dropped) we offer breakfast to order as an alternative, to ensure the food is freshly cooked to our guests

I appreciate the comment about drawers; it is a good suggestion for us. Regarding to the comment about guests staying with us for weeks; It is correct that we have many people staying with us long term; often 1-3 months or longer, if they are here for business, projects and volunteer work. We are happy to provide extra hangers for the closet and we also have extra shelves we can put into rooms on guests request. It’s always good to ask if you have an inquiry or feel something is missing in the rooms. Most things are easily fixed, and a small thing as an extra shelf could be provided on very short notice should that be needed.

I hope this is helpful information. For special enquiries or questions about our rooms, I would encourage everyone email us in advance or contact or front office staff during your stay. We would like our guests to have a memorable stay with us and are happy to get feedback and suggestions to improve.

Happy travels!!

Kristin

Reviewed 11 May 2010

I had a wonderful experience at this small boutique hotel. As a woman traveling alone I was so happy with the staff, especially the day staff, they made me feel at home and so very comfortable. They assisted me with the things I wanted to see and do, I do not like touristy bus tours, I don't think you can get a feel for a place through tinted windows. They had suggestions off the beaten path and it was fabulous. They also have the best tuk tuk driver by the name of Vutah (sp). Also the guide I hired for the day, they arranged for me, was wonderful, a wealth of knowledge and he spoke English very well. My room was the deluxe single, and was amazing. I was very pleased with the air conditioning in my room, I had heard some of the hotels have black out times, so I was pleased it worked well all the time I was in my room. The restaurant in the hotel had wonderful food. I can't say enough good things about my stay there.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 May 2010

I was working as a volunteer in Siem Reap in February/March 2010. First I stayed in a private accomadation, then I moved to Soria Moria Hotel thinking I would just stay there for a weekend...that never happened and I stayed there for the rest of my trip, 1 month exactly!

The location is perfect and it feels safe to walk alone to the center. As a single woman, that feels important.
The rooms are very comfortable, clean and nicely decorated. The rooftop-bar is the perfect place to watch the beautiful sunset and the friendly bartender will make sure get a good drink to go with it. The food is great and the prices are surprisingly comfortable too. I almost ate dinner at the hotel every day for a month.
The staff will help and guide you and do everything they can to make sure you'll have a pleasent stay. It's like a big family and they even arranged a "goodbye-party" when we left!!
I really recommand Soria Moria Hotel and I am sure you will be satisfied!!

Nina
Oslo, NORWAY

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2010

Just returned from Cambodia and a couple nights at the Soria Moria. This hotel is average at best and is certainly not a boutique hotel. Stayed at the Pavilion in Phnom Penh, a wonderful colonial building with loads of quirkiness, the Soria Moria has none of this; it is a modern, plain and characterless place.

The best thing was the staff, very friendly, polite and ready to help at any moment. Breakfast was a joke, the restaurant featureless. I was faced with pre-cooked poached eggs in a heater which were like rubber bullets, no problem when I asked for fresh ones however.

There is a PC terminal in the foyer which is so slow the trees at Angkor grow faster, the first 15 minutes are free but each time I used it I wasn't able to get beyond a hanging screen in that time.

The room was fine bit one boggle was no safe, some other rooms do have safes but these were all doubles and we required a twin. We were also told the place was full but I dint see evidence of this.

Location is fine, a 10 minute walk from the centre.

Would I stay again? No, for the money there are other more quirky hotels that really are boutiques I would explore first or even pay the extra for a top hotel.

1  Thank Daddymac
Reviewed 2 May 2010

This hotel lingers in my mind. It really sums up the Cambodian spirit and was just the beginning of my love for this country and hotel. We only were able to stay for 3 days, which was definitely not enough to explore Siem Reap.

At the airport we took a prepaid taxi (unaffiliated with the hotel) in torrential rain and our driver was really laying it on thick to get us to take his tours, including claiming he didn't know where our hotel was and offering to take us to another or drop us in the rain.

We were adamant and finally arrived after I spotted it in passing, absolutely soaking wet. Everything from there on out was outstanding. They gave us a welcome drink, offered to carry our bags, and upgraded our room for the entire stay, since ours wasn't ready yet. They also remembered our names the entire time.

The restaurant areas (upstairs and downstairs) are both great. Many options, which are very inexpensive, yet delicious.

We took multiple tours with the hotel and their excellent tuktuk driver, Mr. Roth. They had a large variety of options, which makes deciding difficult.

The hotel is run by Norwegians, who are very helpful and socially aware. It was nice to find literature in our rooms about how to help the street children. This is an honest and upstanding place with high standards and a large social awareness. We're already planning to go back.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2010

Great hotel spotlessly clean and close to the town centre albeit a tuk tuk is probably required but not expensive.The room we had on the first floor was large and every time we came back to the hotel after sight seeing an ice cold towel was given to us.A nice touch.Breakfast was good and although they had evening meals we ate in town at Indochina which was very good and the following evening at the Kymer kitchen which too was good and cheap..The hotel has a jacuzzi on the roof which is a pleasant way to relax with a beer after a day at Ankor Wat which is a must and indiscribeable.The taxi driver who collected us from the airport offered his services for a full day for 30USD plus 5USD for sunrise visit to Ankor Wat.This was my favourite place during my trip to SE Asia .Lastly hotel had free internet at reception.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 April 2010

We stayed there for four nights and had a great time. The staff is incredibly nice and helpful, giving you a feeling of being at home instantly and making your stay very easy. Even for the high Cambodian hospitality standards, the Soria Moria staff definitely stands out. The rooms were very clean, nicely furnished and spacious. We simply enjoyed being there.

The only (slight) disappointment was the restaurant which had rather small portions and was not amazing, even though the breakfast was good. But since the hotel is only a 2 minute walk to all the Siem Reap restaurants that is no problem at all.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple