“The best Siem Reap Hotel”

Soria Moria Boutique Hotel
Ranked #120 of 342 Hotels in Siem Reap
Siem Reap, Cambodia
“The best Siem Reap Hotel”
Reviewed 4 August 2010

Each year a group of volunteer teachers from the US and Sweden spends two weeks in Siem Reap to conduct workshops with teachers from Siem Reap province. We stay at The Soria Moria Hotel and it is a wonderful, gracious lovely boutique hotel. THe location is perfect--close to the Old Market and Pub Street with a couple of reliable tuk-tuk drivers to take us around (ask for Vutha). The hotel rooms are spotless, quiet, large and bright. Wifi is available everywhere, and in the late afternoon the roof top bar overlooking the city is a wonderful place to prepare your work, enjoy their daily special and meet fellow travelers. I would give it SIX stars--the best experience for the best value.
Barbara

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2010

We stayed at the Soria Moria Boutique Hotel for 4 nights in July 2010 and felt we could not have made a better choice concerning quality/price. The service was excellent. We chose the hotel because it was listed as “our pick” in the Lonely Planet guidebook and we were not let down.

The room was spacious, clean, well laid out and well air-conditioned. The bed linens/decor were crisp, simple and attractive. When we arrived, we found that we had been given an upgraded room which we were very happy with except for the noise from the street. We asked for another room and were given one immediately. In fact, we were allowed to choose.

The breakfast buffet was certainly adequate with cereals, toasted bread, fruits, juices, and a few other hot items that don’t come to mind at the moment. We particularly liked the banana pancakes – yum!

We had an assigned tuk-tuk driver that was waiting for us at the airport and took us everywhere we wanted to go during our entire stay. Considering that drivers approached us every 2 meters in town offering a ride, it was a relief to be able to say we already had a driver waiting.

We booked an English-speaking guide through the hotel for visits to the Angkor Wat Temple complex. Our guide was very pleasant and we were pleased with our time with him.

The hotel is well located near the Old Market. It’s a short walk, but in the heat of the day we usually opted for the $1 tuk-tuk ride there. Ditto for the Night Market, which is just a bit further. A rooftop bar and hot tub are available, though we were too tired at the end of the day to try these out.

The staff was exceptionally helpful and friendly and we certainly appreciated every effort to make our stay so comfortable. If we return to Siem Reap in the future we will definitely return to the Soria Moria. We would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2010

For nine months during the period August 2009 through June 2010 the "Soria Moria Team" provided a consistently high level of service through all aspects of my stay in Siem Reap at a competitive group rate. I especially enjoyed the restaurant service, the variety of the menu and the weekly "special culinary events ". The houskeeping and laundry services fully support the needs of the long-term working guest. The sunset views from the rooftop were inspiring, Best of all the staff and management are working hard together to make the Soria Moria experience ever better.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Lamalif
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 1 July 2010

My friend and I stayed at the Soria Moria during our trip to Siem Reap. We chose the 4N5D package they offered at only USD199 each. This was definitely a great deal because the package included: airport-hotel-airport transfers in an AC car with an English speaking driver, a tour guide during the one-day tour of the Angkor Temple Complex, visits to Tonle Sap, West Baray, Sangkheum Center, Angkor Silk Farm, breakfast everyday, a traditional Khmer dinner upon arrival, and a traditional Khmer massage. All entrance fees and driver + AC car were included in the package!

We got a deluxe double room which was very spacious. The room and the bathroom were exceptionally clean too! There was a complimentary fruit basket upon arrival and complimentary bottles of water, coffee and tea everyday! Also, during the tours there was an endless supply of water in the car to make sure you don't dehydrate in the heat! The bathroom also had nice clean towels and had the regular amenities (shampoo, soap, toothbrush, comb, etc.) and there was always a full stock of toilet paper!

Upon our arrival at Siem Reap airport we were greeted by our driver, Theara. He spoke English very well and I highly recommend this guy as he is very knowledgeable of his country and culture and is excited to meet new people and learn about different countries and cultures. The drive to the hotel from the airport was only about 15-20minutes. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by the very friendly and heart warming staff. We had absolutely no problems with our booking and everything was in order. The receptionist, Sokha, made everything clear and told us about the hotel and a little bit of Siem Reap town. We were first booked for a room with a queen bed but Sokha asked if we preferred two single beds and allowed us to see the rooms and choose which one we wanted.

The hotel is only a 5 minute walk to the Pub Street area and Phsar Chas (Old Market). You can also take a tuk tuk for USD1 but we thought it was a bit silly to take when it wasn't raining since Pub St. was so close. Soria Moria is located on the corner of Wat Bo Road and Street 24. You can walk down Street 24 towards the Pub St. area but at night it is very dark. We were 2 girls and we walked this street at night and it was still relatively safe. I believe that the crime rate in Siem Reap is very low! But we were still very aware of our surroundings. Other times we take the next street down instead since it was more lighted. Down Wat Bo Road are other restaurants to check out such as Viroth's.

There is a rooftop bar and a jacuzzi for those who want to take a dip after a hot day at the temples. There is also a small workout area and spa on the 4th floor. The traditional Khmer massage that was included in the package is definitely worth it after all the walking and climbing at Angkor! The breakfast food was really good and they made some changes everyday so you won't really get sick of it. The traditional Khmer dinner was really good too!

I highly recommend this hotel because of its cleanliness, location and, most of all, its staff! They are all so friendly and always smiling and willing to help you the best way they can. The good thing about a smaller hotel is that the staff know your name and make you feel really welcome. Not only did we have a wonderful time seeing Angkor Wat and the other temples and other parts of Siem Reap, we also made friends with the people of Soria Moria! I will definitely stay here again the next time I am in town.

Forgot to mention, there's WIFI all throughout the hotel. I didn't bring a laptop but I was able to connect without any problems through my mobile phone. There is a computer downstairs for the guests to use although only the first 15 minutes are free.

By the way, I highly recommend Theara to be your driver if you decide to stay at the Soria Moria! Make sure you request for him!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank jordynhmoreland
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 24 June 2010

The staff at the front desk were so nice and helpful during my stay that I was a bit sad to say goodbye to them. Seriously. Extremely helpful with planning/scheduling tours for me.

PROS: The hotel was exceptionally clean. Laundry was very affordable and shows up same day. Staff is absolutely wonderful. Location is just a few blocks from the hustle and bustle, but nice and quiet. Room (Superior Single): roomy, very clean, marble floors, lock box, fridge, a/c.

CONS: Only one real complaint - the strength of the air conditioning. A/C turns off when you're not in the room. If you're looking for quick relief after a scorching hot day of touring temples, you won't get it. Not in a hurry anyway. The a/c was very slow to cool things off. The wireless reception was OK (laptop good, phone not so much). I liked the beds but I know many would call them too hard.

I would definitely consider going back despite my comments about the a/c. (In general, all of Siem Reap is very, very sparing in its use of air-con)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 21 May 2010

I chose this hotel based on the reviews on this website. I stayed in a deluxe room for 4 nights. Since it is the low season, I got the 4th night free. I chose the deluxe room mainly because the other rooms do not have safes in the room. There are some lockers on the ground floor, but this is supposed to be a boutique hotel, not a hostel. From what I could tell, the difference between deluxe and regular is (1) a larger bed, (2) a sunny room, and (3) the safe. So if you don't care about those things, the regular rooms are a much better value.

The room appears to be very clean because the floors have shiny tiles and the room is sparsely furnished. On a sunny day, it just gleams. However, I was very disappointed to find that my tub mat had large brown stains on it (it was folded so I did not notice until the morning) and the bed sheets seemed to have some old stains as well. I asked for both to be changed. Otherwise, I would say the place is adequately clean but hardly spotless. One night I ordered room service. The next day, my room was made up, but the dirty plate remained. Also, the cleaners always draped the hand towel over the sink. I found this unsanitary and hardly conducive to encouraging people to reuse towels.

The breakfast was pretty good. On two mornings there was a buffet, and on two mornings I ordered from a list since there were not enough guests to warrant a buffet. I had dinner at the restaurant, which was good. There is also a reasonable Burmese restaurant just up the street.

There is a booklet of suggested tours in the room, which I found helpful. Unfortunately the booklet does not contain any prices so you don't know what it's going to cost until you've pretty much decided on what to do. The staff is helpful with arranging these tours and activities.

A couple of things that bothered me (but I did not read in other reviews):
(1) The room is large with high celings, but the lighting is very dim. During the day, the room was sunny and cheerful. At night, I found it a bit depressing.
(2) The furniture was not very functional. There is a wardrobe and a few hangers, but it would have been more useful to have some drawers. Reviewers on this site say they lived there for weeks. I think that would be difficult.

The bottom line is that this place is definitely a step up from a hostel and many guesthouses, but it is not the place where you splurge. At a lower price, it is a reasonable option.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank fiddleleaf
sreytin, Manager at Soria Moria Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2010
Thanks for your valuable feedback. I hope it will be useful for other guests planning their trip to Siem Reap.

I’d like to expand on a few things you have written about in your review, which hopefully will be clarifying for others.

The travelers guide you are mentioning has been compiled in order to make it easy for our guests to find out about activities and sights of interest in Siem Reap and Cambodia, as well as giving helpful tips and advise in how to get there, distance, how to dress/behave, to be a responsible tourist and other information.. Cambodia is a wonderful country with a lot to offer and we would like our guests to experience that. We are passionate about Cambodia, and in the booklet we have written about our favorite things, many of which are free activities that can be reached either by walking or bicycle. Others are further away and can be reached by moto, tuk-tuk, car or 4WD. It is meant to be informative reading for our guests to get ideas and inspiration to see and experience more than just the temples. There are no prices in the guidebook, as entrance tickets or fees are subject to change on short notice, especially depending on the seasons in Cambodia, and we don't want to display wrong prices/information. Instead we have updated price lists in our front office, and also our information boards on the ground floor that you can take to the room to study if you wish. It is possible to combine many activities that are in the same direction in one day tour, to make the most out of the time in Siem Reap (this is suggested in the booklet). Locations are marked on the map in the back of the book to make it easier to get a picture/overview of where everything is located etc. The transportation pricelist is also available on our website, for guests who would like to do planning prior to their arrival. Or front office staff are more than happy to call and inquire/book activities for you at no charge

Regarding to our room categories. We have 3 categories, standard, superior and deluxe. Although the deluxe rooms are similar to our other rooms they are the corner rooms and are slightly bigger (32-36 m2) and have more windows (2 sides of the room) so they are very light and bright, and 3 of them have a small private balcony. Additional amenities in deluxe rooms are king size bed, in room safety boxes, DVD player, and free rental from DVD library downstairs. Before only deluxe rooms had coffee & tea making facilities, but we now keep that inn all rooms. As you say, if those things are not important, the superior rooms (30-32 m2) area cheaper. The standard rooms are also similar (around 30m2), but are located either in the ground floor or 4rth floor. They are our cheapest alternative.

We apologize for the stained bath mat, this is not acceptable and we have had meetings with housekeeping/laundry about this issue. I am happy to let you know that our old bath mats have now been exchanged for new ones.

Regarding lighting in our rooms. We usually get comments that the rooms are very light and bright. However, as we, for environmental reasons, use eco friendly light bulbs, rooms can appear less bright than with the use of conventional light bulbs. In addition to the spotlights in the roof and the desk light, there are dimmers on the bedside lights so you can decide the level of light.

I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast, both buffet and breakfast to order. We usually have buffet, but on days with few guests (such as just after the volcano eruption on Iceland that resulted in flights from Europe cancelled/delayed for weeks, or with the recent situation in Thailand where tourism numbers dropped) we offer breakfast to order as an alternative, to ensure the food is freshly cooked to our guests

I appreciate the comment about drawers; it is a good suggestion for us. Regarding to the comment about guests staying with us for weeks; It is correct that we have many people staying with us long term; often 1-3 months or longer, if they are here for business, projects and volunteer work. We are happy to provide extra hangers for the closet and we also have extra shelves we can put into rooms on guests request. It’s always good to ask if you have an inquiry or feel something is missing in the rooms. Most things are easily fixed, and a small thing as an extra shelf could be provided on very short notice should that be needed.

I hope this is helpful information. For special enquiries or questions about our rooms, I would encourage everyone email us in advance or contact or front office staff during your stay. We would like our guests to have a memorable stay with us and are happy to get feedback and suggestions to improve.

Happy travels!!

Kristin
cosmopolis
Reviewed 11 May 2010

I had a wonderful experience at this small boutique hotel. As a woman traveling alone I was so happy with the staff, especially the day staff, they made me feel at home and so very comfortable. They assisted me with the things I wanted to see and do, I do not like touristy bus tours, I don't think you can get a feel for a place through tinted windows. They had suggestions off the beaten path and it was fabulous. They also have the best tuk tuk driver by the name of Vutah (sp). Also the guide I hired for the day, they arranged for me, was wonderful, a wealth of knowledge and he spoke English very well. My room was the deluxe single, and was amazing. I was very pleased with the air conditioning in my room, I had heard some of the hotels have black out times, so I was pleased it worked well all the time I was in my room. The restaurant in the hotel had wonderful food. I can't say enough good things about my stay there.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo