“The best and most friendly hotel I've ever stayed in.”

Soria Moria Boutique Hotel
Ranked #135 of 356 Hotels in Siem Reap
Stavanger, Norway
“The best and most friendly hotel I've ever stayed in.”
Reviewed 4 November 2010

This hotel has the most amazing staff ever! One of the first things you notice is how happy they are and how much they love their jobs. David the bartender is one of the cutest guys I ever met! The hotel staff is so organized, welcoming and polite. They helped us to organize trips to Angkor Wat, the floating village and a silk farm. In few words, I do not have a single complaint about this hotel! The location is amazing, the staff is the most friendly hotel staff I've ever met , the food was a magical culinary experience and this hotel made my trip to Cambodia complete! I would recommend this hotel to everyone I know!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarthaJohanne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Trysil Municipality, Norway
Reviewed 4 November 2010

Walking distance to shopping, markets and restaurants
Local food around the corner
All the information you need in the lobby
Very good restauant
Roof top bar have better view than top of Angkor Wat.
Frindly staff, we had 10 nannies for the children.
Kids love the jaquzzi.
No problem with children in the temples but take only half days.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank trysilknut
new york, ny
Reviewed 2 November 2010

I spent several lovely nights in Soria Moria and had a great time. the food was excellent and the staff extremely helpful. Highly recommended! Would definitely visit again!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 October 2010

Although this is a hotel with good locations, and friendly staff (actually only 2 of the staffs are friendly and know what they were doing), although this hotel do good things to help the local communities, but I will NOT recommend this hotel to my friends. Firstly, I had requested for a smoking room and was allocated to a non-smoking room on a non-smoking floor. Upon checking with the staff, she had mentioned that all the smoking rooms are double rooms, and did offer to swap me to the other room. But what would I wanna do to the other bed since I am traveling alone? In the end I had to suffer the inconvenience of smoking outside the hotel. Not too good. Secondly, during my first night stay, the water from the hot water tap looked rusty and was not hot! I called up the front desk and the lady on night shift mentioned that I should leave it on for 5 mins. I left the water running for 10 mins and it is still rusty! I had to go down to the front desk and ask for a change of room. When I arrived at my new room (by the way I had to drag all my belongings with me, no help of shifting was rendered whatsoever!), the first thing i did was to check out the hot water tap. It was working fine with no rusty looking water, this is when i realise i had been taken for a ride! Thirdly, the EXTREMELY UNFRIENDLY owners just won't try to hold a conversation when I tried to initiate one. The lady own (some blonde lady) just gave me the impression that she is extremely uninterested in the conversation and kinda shoo'ed me away. Throughout the hotel, only 1 of the staff knew what she was doing. When she is away from the front desk, GOOD LUCK to whoever approached them! OVERALL EXPERIENCE IN THIS HOTEL, BAD!! oh yeah they seemed to be extremely friendly with Caucasians , if you are an Asian, good luck, the owners of this hotel simply wouldn't give a damn about you!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Diviva
sreytin, Owner at Soria Moria Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2010
Dear Divivi,

Thank you for your feedback from your stay in Soria Moria. I am very sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay in our hotel. I am the owner and manager of Soria Moria, and unfortunately I never had the chance to meet you in person. As I spent the whole month of October in Bangkok attending a course in Southeast Asian Development studies, accompanied by one of our key front office staff and only returned this weekend, we were not in Siem Reap during your stay in Soria Moria.

To clear up any misunderstandings there might have been with regards to the smoking policy in Soria Moria. As you wrote, you were given the opportunity upon check-in to choose a smoking room, but were correctly informed that smoking rooms have two beds rather than one, and you chose the non-smoking room with one bed only. As you were informed, all our smoking rooms are twin rooms (charged at single occupancy for single travelers) located on the top floor. This is to avoid the smell of the smoke spreading to the non-smoking rooms. There are three designated smoking areas in our hotel; in the outdoor seating of our restaurant and outside the hotel building at the ground floor, and the Rooftop Bar on the 4th floor. I believe this is common practice in most hotels these days, and the majority of our guests seem to appreciate and respect this policy. Thanks anyway for giving us your feedback.

With respect to the broken hot water tank in your room, this is unacceptable and we are very sorry for the inconvenience it caused you. This is clearly a bad oversight from our housekeeping and maintenance department which should not have happened, and we will revise our routines on room checks after each checkout to prevent this from happening. I am however glad to hear you received a new room without problems immediately.

I must admit that I am a little unsure how to act in response to the comment about the lady owner "some blond lady" being extremely unfriendly and extremely uninterested in holding a conversation with you. We do appreciate constructive feedback, but the fact that I was not in Cambodia during your stay and never actually had the chance to meet you or talk to you, makes me feel this comment is somewhat unfair. I believe there must have been a misunderstanding somewhere along the way causing you to write it. To give you a little clarification; In Soria Moria we have only 3 staff that are not Cambodians. Myself and our trainee from a Hotel school in Holland who are from Norway, and my husband who is half Japanese. It could be that you are referring to our trainee, but although she is western she is not blond like you describe (and I would think too young to be mistaken as an owner). I can only guess, but I suspect that you might have mistaken one of our long term guests you would have seen around; wearing smart casual / business attire, doing work on laptops in the common areas and sometimes having small informal meetings in the lobby, feeling homely and often talking with other guests, might have given you the impression that they are to be associated with the hotel ownership, and not giving you the service and conversation you were expecting?

Regarding the statement that the owners of this hotel wouldn't give a damn about Asian guests, we are sorry that you have felt that way. I can, however, assure you that all nationalities are most welcome in Soria Moria, and we do not intentionally differentiate between the services provided according to race or different nationalities. Although I am from Norway and we welcome many Scandinavian, American, Australian and other European guests, I have spent most of the last ten years in Asia and very much enjoy the company of Asian guests. A large part of our guests (both short- and long-term guests) come from Asian countries including China, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and India, as well as many local Cambodians guests. As I mentioned, my husband who was is in charge of the hotel operation during our absence is half Japanese himself, and certainly enjoys talking the Asian tourists staying with us. We keep in touch with many guests that have stayed with us, and as you can see from our facebook page and other online reviews, there is a good mix of nationalities - including many Asians.

With respect to the capabilities of our staff, I am sorry that you did not appreciate their efforts, and felt that only 2 of the staff know what they were doing. We usually take pride in the quality and consistency of our staff. Especially seeing that 95% of the employees in Soria Moria come from disadvantaged families living below the poverty line with very limited future outlooks, we are very proud of their performance and continuous development. As you mentioned, we are concerned about the local community, and have a strong focus on training and development of the local staff , hoping to create a win-win situation where both the guests and the locals can benefit from the interaction. To better cater for our Asian guests, all our staff recently received 3 months of Japanese language and culture lessons from a Japanese professor who stayed with us long term, and two of our receptionists have been on training trips in Thailand. They are also given onsite language lessons in English and Norwegian language. In addition to onsite training, we offer a higher education program where currently 11 staff are being sponsored through university, we conduct yearly all-staff training trips to other parts of the country where our local staff can learn about other destinations in the country and experience first-hand how it is to be a tourist. The intention is to create a deeper understanding of the dynamics of tourism and, thus, be able to better serve visitors to Soria Moria, Siem Reap and Cambodia. One of the main things learned on these trips is the importance of providing the same level of service to all guests regardless of their race or nationality and I feel sorry that your experience in Soria Moria has been perceived otherwise. I can ensure you that we will take your comments to our hearts and do our best to avoid anyone else having a similar experience in the future.

On behalf of myself and the staff in Soria Moria, we are sorry that we did not meet your expectations, but we hope you accept our sincere apologies and that you still enjoyed some of the magnificent sights of Siem Reap, and the friendliness of the Cambodians you may have met along the way during your sightseeing.

Kristin Hansen,
Hong kong
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Nice little hotel. Nothing fancy, but great service. Staff tried their best to help out with any questions. It was very quiet. The tuk tuk drivers they have outside are varied. Go for the quiet guy with the big smile. He never tried to rip us off. Very nice.
B'fast was satisfactory. Not a huge choice, but lots of fresh fruit.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Ballan, Australia
Reviewed 7 October 2010

This was my third trip to Siem Reap and first time staying at The Soria Moria Hotel. As a solo traveller, I was so glad to stay here as I felt very comfortable and totally safe. The staff were genuinely warm and friendly, very knowledgable about the Siem Reap and outer areas, and I could sleep well knowing my money spent at Soria Moria was going to good causes in the local area in terms of community development.

The Fushion Kitchen is a must, even if you don't stay here. I loved being able to have a wonderful traditional Fish Amok with a serve of wedges! The roof top bar was my favourite place at the end of the day to wind-down with a mohito in the jacuzzi or chat to the lovely bar staff, watch the sun set over the city, and download my photos onto Facebook using the free wifi found throughout the hotel.

I'm not sure how many rooms are there, but I certainly got that boutique feel - not too busy, not too quiet. Small, but with first-class service. It's an easy walk into town so you don't always have to use tuk-tuks. One block from the river also makes a nice opportunity for a stroll if you like.

I got really sick on the last day (after eating out of town and making a slightly dodgy choice for lunch) and the staff were so brilliant and looked after me so well. I was so close to just cancelling my flight but they helped me get myself together and provided me with paracetamol and Immodium and a Vitamin C drink, and helped me with my bags and all my stuff. By the time I arrived at the airport I was feeling ready to fly. I can't thank them enough.

Finally, this was the first time I've stayed in a developing country and not had anything stolen! I think its credit to the hotel that the staff are obviously very well looked after.

Anyway, it's quite clear from my review that I absolutely recommend this hotel and will definately stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 30 September 2010

The staff at Soria Moria went above-and-beyond to make my stay with them as enjoyable as possible. Room decor was simple, but very clean and spacious with well-appointed bathrooms. Rooftop bar and jacuzzi were nice touches. The location is excellent. A little tough to find for someone new to Siem Reap, but that's actually a good thing: it's a very quiet environment despite being only a 5 minute walk to Pub Street.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo