“Honeymoontastic”

Ranked #31 of 353 Hotels in Siem Reap
London
“Honeymoontastic”
Reviewed 5 March 2009

We booked this hotel last minute and I can't believe that they still had spaces. The main reason that we chose the hotel was because Sebastien answered our queries so quickly and because they offered airport collection and a tuk-tuk at our disposal all day. This saved a lot of stress with bargaining on a trip by trip basis. (Ask for Mr Sett as your driver if he is free.)

The gardens of the hotel were blissful after a hot day at the temples. The rooms were fantastic and very clean. However, the best aspect was the helpful and friendly staff. We left early to catch the riverboat and they waited up with us in reception and provided a free breakfast pic-nic for our trip.

The thing that made it special was all the little touches such as water in our room, bedtime stories, mosquito coils on the balcony and a sense that you as a guest mattered.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Schubert_Rd_London

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Saigon
Reviewed 2 March 2009

From the fast response of the first email contact, Sebastien and staff demonstrated how they have earned the top slot in the Angkor area. From lemongrass tea upon arrival, fun and friendly tuk-tuk transporation, stylish accomodations, relaxing garden and pool, Khmer bedtime stories, to secret gifts upon checkout! We WILL be back to this charming hotel. They exceeded our expectations by paying attention to the small details that are appreciated rather than getting distracted by the big ones that don't really matter.
Thanks for a perfect weekend!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 2 March 2009

Historically, I have tended to take online hotel reviews with a pinch of salt as, in the most part, people make more of an effort to complain than congratulate and this can lead to unfair bias and often un-representative reviews. Likewise, any hotel that appears to have ridiculously high praise and limited apparent faults is also cause for scepticism.

The Pavillon D'Orient, on virtual paper at least, initially fell into the latter category for me (in fact, as far as tripadvisor reviews are concerned, it apparently had NO faults).

However, having just stayed at the Pavillon for 3-nights, I was very chuffed to discover that all the reviews on tripadvisor, to this point at least, were absolutely warranted. It is a gem and stands out, as quite simply, the best hotel experience I have ever had.

As previous reviewers have noted, the entrance is non-descript but once through the doors, a tranquil, charmingly decorated oasis awaits. However, it is not the quality of the decor, the bathrooms, TV's, gifts, fresh fruit , bedtime stories and food that inspired this review (albeit very welcome) but the unrelenting quality and friendliness of service from Sebastien and his team.

Nothing was too much trouble. Service above and beyond was always offered and more often that not, completed without request . For example, within 10-minutes of arriving, following a cold towel and refreshing drink, we had a bespoke itinerary discussed, prepared and printed (tuk tuk driver introduced and briefed) that would see us at the best temple locations, avoiding the crowds, at the best times of day for viewing.

During our stay they also packaged a painting I had bought ( I only asked to borrow some tape), offered to burn my photos to CD at a local shop, booked us a balloon ride and generally looked after us to such an extent, that I will genuinely miss it.

Our tuk-tuk driver for 3-days (included in the rate) was charm personified and gave us an insight into the country and its people, picking us up before dawn on one day and remaining available until 10pm (and doubtless beyond if required). He also ensured that we benefitted from his local knowledge and had access to local eating (on one day we bought freshly grilled fish, rice,sauces and drinks, then ate by a lake, far away from anyone else).

In summary, it was fantastic. ALL other hotels take note..as you are probably not as good as the Pavillon D'Orient..and you really ought to be. This was perfection and it was a pleasure to experience it first hand..for the first time.

2 Thank IndietravellerUk
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 27 February 2009

My wife and I spent 2 nights at the Pavillon d'Orient and we could not have been more impressed.
On our arrival we were welcomed with cold towels, fresh drinks and a level of personal attention that would persist through our entire stay. We had originally wanted to spend 3 nights here but due to the hotel being fully booked we could not. However Sebastian, the General Manager, was extremely accommodating and arranged for us to spend 1 night at their sister hotel the Pavillon Indochine. We were fully taken care of with airport transfers and transfers between hotels.
Our room was very spacious with fresh fruit, bottled water and tea/coffee facilities provided. The open air restaurant was an ideal place to relax with a few drinks after a tiring day of temple trekking. The menu itself is small but well priced and delicious, offering traditional Cambodian faire with French-European influences. The restaurant staff are helpful and polite, but occasional minor mistakes with food order accuracy do occur (a language barrier more than anything else).
Let the reception staff recommend temple itineraries for you, all you need to do is turn up with a camera, sunscreen and comfy shoes.

london
Reviewed 27 February 2009

Hotel is really nice. Never had such helpful staff anywhere. The rooms are very comfortable, and slightly colonial. Every wish was accomodated and the staff attention was just incredible. I would have loved to have stayed much longer! Although the hotel is a bit out from the centre this doesn't matter in the least as you have your own tuk-tuk and driver to take you around. The tuk-tuk made our stay hassle free and was great fun. Book into this hotel and you will have a great stay.

London
Reviewed 26 February 2009

There is a reason this hotel is currently number 1 - it is fabulous! I am a very picky about hotels and this is one of the nicest places I've stayed. The rooms are done up to a very high standard, and feel cozy and romantic (also, the sheets smelled heavenly). The bathroom had a luxury spa feel, great water pressure in the shower for cleaning off after visiting dusty temples all day. I cannot speak highly enough of Sebastien and his staff - the level of service was incredible. One of the warmest welcomes I've received at a hotel and Sebastien helpfully organised an itinerary for us. We had the use of a friendly tuk tuk driver for our entire stay, as well as car transport to/from the airport all included in the price of the room - fantastic value. The hotel is located a bit out of town, but it's really better that way - less noisy, closer to the temples and very easy to get into town with the tuk tuk driver. My only regret is that I didn't stay longer.

2 Thank vegan_princess
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 25 February 2009

I stayed at Pavillon d'Orient for a total of 4 nights (1 night alone, 3 with friends) and have to say it is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.
The property looks quite unimpressive from the outside, but the minute you step in it's like being transported to another world. The decor of the hotel is excellent, and the rooms extremely comfortable with a private balcony, airconditioning & flatscreen TV. The rooms also have a safe, minibar and telephone. I loved the closet, which could be opened and closed with a curtain instead of the traditional door. The bathrooms have a seperate bathtub and a very nice rain shower.
The restaurant (Les Planteur) is nice, with reasonable prices and a good selection of local and international dishes. I did not use the spa myself, but a friend was extremely pleased with the massage she got. The pool is absolutely perfect to jump into after a long, hot day touring the wats.
The location of the hotel is perfect for those who want to be away from the bustle of the main city centre. It's located approximately halfway between the Old Market area and Angkor Wat (15-20 minute tuk tuk ride to both), so you are not surrounded by tourists but at the same time is accessible. The hotel also provides a free tuk tuk for the duration of your stay, which makes it extremely easy to get around. Ask for Mr. Chin, who has to be the nicest tuk tuk driver in Siem Reap.
What really sets this hotel apart from any other is the service. The staff always had a smile on their face, at anytime of the day or night. The staff made sure that we were out of the room before they did the turn-down service (I hate it when I'm in the middle of a shower and I get a knock on the door, which happens in every other hotel I've stayed at). What I really appreciated was that when my friend had to fly back early due to a family emergency, the hotel helped organize the air ticket (on a Sunday!) at no extra charge. They also provided a free airport transfer! On checking out, we were given with thoughtful personalised gifts, even though it was 6 am in the morning.
Sebastien and his team at Pavillon d'Orient do an excellent job of making your stay a memorable one, and I will definitely be going back multiple times!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends