“Charming boutique hotel with delightful staff - a destination in itself!”

Pavillon d'Orient Boutique-Hotel
Ranked #31 of 354 Hotels in Siem Reap
Singapore
“Charming boutique hotel with delightful staff - a destination in itself!”
Reviewed 19 May 2009

An excellent hotel with a superb and delightful staff who made every effort to ensure our stay with them ran smoothly and was enjoyable. I can't thank them enough for all of their efforts - we had a great time in Siem Reap and will definitely be back one day.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 18 May 2009

Thank-you trip advisor for guiding me to this elegant and intimate hotel. The Manager Sebastien and his staff ensured that our stay was a huge highlight of a 3 week trip. Mr Dany was a stand out of the excellent staff whom looked after me like I was a long-lost friend. The rooms were large and atmospheric, the restaurant with cambodian and french influences was inexpensive and outstanding quality. The pool was a welcome relief and the end of each day. I enjoyed having the option of tuk-tuks included for my stay, but we also had a car and an excellent driver called Mr Hot. Sebastien arranged an excelllent itinerary which included travelling to remote and only recently opened temple ruins. This small intimate hotel thoroughly deserves the number 1 rating for Siem Reap. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2009
2 Thank drbenhanson
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 16 May 2009

We booked to stay here based on the reviews of Trip Advisor ~ our sole intent of travelling to Siem Reap was to explore Angkor Wat. Now I would go back just to stay at this delightful hotel. Sebastien and his staff just cannot be complimented enough.
The hotel is clean and comfortable, intimate and friendly. The staff ensure that everything is just as you would wish. The extras provided eg the free tuk tuk for the day make it excellent value, especially with our driver who was always on time, always friendly and with plenty of answers to our sometimes silly questions.
We've stayed at all sorts of hotels all over the world, from the 7 star Burj al Arab to the starless delights in Thailand. I can honestly say that a lot of big-name 5 star hotels can learn a lot from Pavillon d'Orient. This hotel puts a lot of them to shame.
Can't give you any tips re Siem Reap as we just wing it ~ but can most definitely highly recommend this excellent hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed 13 May 2009

The only reason we went to Siem Reap is to see the Angkor complex. We were there for only 3 days.

I have booked the room when I decided to check out their official website and realised their room rate is lower AND more value with daily breakfast, return airport transfer and daily tuk tuk driver from sunrise till 10pm!

I contacted the hotel and the Manager, Sebastien is most helpful and efficient. Quick to address my concerns and helped me cancel my initial booking so I can take advantage of their room offer. What a relief and what a delight!

The only downside is that we didn't get to enjoy their breakfast because we were out for sunrise and by the time we got to the room, it was already dark. We didn't even use the pool and it did look nice! Lastly, we didn't get to use the spa too because we were busy with Angkor sightseeing.

We loved our room (though the bed is small for us and the netting can be a bit annoying though visually looks romantic), loved the balcony and pool view (nicely covered with tall plants for privacy), loved the farewell gift of two scarves and zodiac necklace! They acknowledged us as honeymooners with a bottle of wine but since we don't drink, we are still grateful for the thought and card.

Our tuk tuk driver is a shy young man but not an annoyance to us at all. He takes us to wherever we wanted to go. Friendly staff from the security guard who doesn't speak a word of English to the housekeeping lady we bumped into oaccasionally in the hallway.

Unfortunately, I had food poisoning the day we checked out but doubted it was from the hotel food. So be careful with raw lettuce especially at roadside stalls! The hotel room service serves a generous portion of food and must try is AMOK - their local fish dish....lovely!

Thank you for having us!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 12 May 2009

Traveling with children can be like visiting a dentist for a toothache - it's either something simple requiring no more than Tylenol for inflammation or the other extreme, an extended visit of seemingly long needles, endless drilling, and enough Vicodan to have you floating for a week. It doesn't matter if it's Disneyland or a third world country - there are enough variables out of your control that the best you can do is pack a lot of patience, flexibility, and make sure every kid has their own Nintendo.

With an adventurous spirit we traveled with our three children ages 11, 9, and 7 to Siem Reap, Cambodia and had a truly amazing trip. The Pavillon d'Orient was integral to the success of the trip. Parents have an inflated sense of ego when it comes to traveling with children - if it's a disaster we blame the crowds, hotel, weather etc. If it's exceptional we feel we've pulled off a feat akin to conquering Mount Everest. Sebastien and his exceptionally friendly staff, the large beautiful rooms, and of course the daily outings made this one of our favorite family holidays ever.

First off, Sebastien quickly responded to an inquiry about room availability. Traveling as a family of five can be expensive as family suites outside of the US are rare and booking for than one room adds up. Sebastien gave us a great deal on two rooms adjacent to each other. They were not connecting as with large hotels but this is not your average Holiday Inn. The rooms are beautifully decorated with vintage photographs of Cambodia, mosquito netting, flat screen TV's, and a daily plate of some of the freshest fruit we've ever eaten. The bathrooms are spotless and large. The balcony overlooks the pool where I lounged while my kids took advantage of the pool.

A breakfast buffet offers plenty of healthy offerings including cereal, fresh yourget, fruits and juices. Eggs cooked to order are offered when you sit and a basket of croissants are brought to the table. Dining is al fresco under a shaded shaded pavilion in front of a koi pond. No pancakes or omelette station here which would seem grossly out of place. My children had plenty to eat and were very satisfied with the food. The ambience of the lobby/restaurant is so quiet and inviting that my husband sat out there with his laptop and caught up on some work.

Our daily outings fell into a pattern with early morning outings, afternoons spent at the hotel relaxing, and evening excursions to town. We stayed for four nights and visited one site per day, Ankor Wat, Ta Prom, and Ankor Thom. You can probably do more but it's not worth the inevitable whining. We also rented quads for a half-day excursion that included a memorable visit to an orphanage. If you do the latter, pack an extra bag of clean, used clothes to give the to children.

If you have an iPod, load it up with kid movies and bring the video cords to plug into the flat screen. It may sound cheesey but you'll get some relaxation if your kids have their own entertainment for an hour or two after a hot, dusty excursion. My boys watched vintage Star Trek episodes while I read or napped.

The night market offers plenty of local color and we allowed the kids to pick out one souvenir. As far as restaurants go our favorite was Abacus, one of the best french restaurants we've ever eaten at. Enough variety on the menu for everyone. The Red Piano was so-so. My children liked Molly Malones for the pool table. The FCC was also very good.

Our tuk-tuk drivers were friendly, flexible, and knowledgeable about the various sites. Of course the kids loved riding in the tuk-tuks.

Overall, it was truly an exceptional experience and we look forward to returning to the Siem Reap and the Pavillion d'Orient very soon.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank SDMom1
London
Reviewed 12 May 2009

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We booked as a result of the reviews here and we weren't disappointed. The staff are very friendly and competent, the rooms spacious and nicely decorated, breakfast good.

The hotel arranged a very good guide for us (Jack). We didn't have much time, and he was very happy to take us to all the places we wanted to see over some fairly long days. His knowledge was better than many other guides that I overheard on our travels.

Having the tuk-tuk as part of the deal is also a very good idea - especially since they aren't in the center of town. The driver we had was friendly and efficient.

I've seen a couple of less positive reviews earlier. I think the key things to bear in mind is to send an email a couple of days before arrival just confirming you will be coming and what flight you will be on. I was a little worried they would lose our reservation so probably overcommunicated, but no harm in doing so.

Also... if you want to compare the hotel with a luxury hotel in a major city... you aren't comparing equivalent places. This place doesn't have some of the same polish as say the Peninsula in HK, but it's perfectly comfortable, a lot more friendly, and the staff work hard to make sure your stay is an enjoyable one.

Anyway... bottom line.. it's a great place to stay and I would love to come and stay again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Rockville
Reviewed 10 May 2009

We spent three nights here at the end of April. Possibly the friendliest, most attentive hotel staff we have ever come across, truly outstanding, but also unobtrusive. You feel part of their family for the duration of your stay. We can only endorse the other comments from previous reviews, the service was excellent, from my initial e-mail appoach, to our final check-out.

I will try to reflect things maybe not mentioned previously. The most important aspect would be visiting the temples, I guess what we are all going there for. There are packages offering the use of tuk-tuks, however we opted to pay for the use of a car and driver. I would certainly recommend the car over the tuk-tuk. Angkor Thom and Angkor Wat are 5 or 6 miles away, Ta Prohm further still, with outliying temples such as the Roulos group 15-odd miles or more. In the sweltering heat, and on the sometimes bumpy roads, the air-conditioned car was a god-send. The driver kept bottles of water and refreshing towels on ice for when we emerged sweating from the temples. We also experienced some down-pours of biblical proportions, leaving the roads flooded, again can't think that a tuk-tuk would be so much fun in those conditions. My advice - opt for the car. Our driver Paai was a delight, offering insights into local life, with extensive knowledge of the temples as well. He met us at the airport on arrival, and dropped us off when we left, we cannot recommend him highly enough, a lovely guy.

The manager Sebastien helped put together an itinerary to enable us to see as much as possible during our short stay. We did find the heat quite taxing, and were unable to fulfil the whole schedule as we just needed to get back to the hotel and relax at times.

In the evenings, the tuk-tuks will take you into town and back, again all part of the package.

Being a small hotel, you may find the options at breakfast slightly limited, the same could be said of the evening menu, but that really is a small point. At breakfast, you can ask for bacon, sausage, egg, rice to be cooked if you wish.

A lovely atmosphere prevailed throughout the hotel, it made our short stay a real pleasure

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple