“The best service and staff!”

Pavillon d'Orient Boutique-Hotel
Ranked #30 of 384 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 22 May 2009

We enjoyed our stay at Pavillon D'Orient. Sebastien answered all our emails so quickly and has the best staff that we have ever encountered in any hotel.

First of all, my husband and I are independent travelers and usually don't spend much time in our hotels, except to sleep. Pavillon D'Orient was so charming and comfortable, that we found it so hard to leave the premises to go sightseeing. This has never happened to us in our world travels.

Our rate included airport transfers upon arrival and departure. We were welcomed with an air conditioned car and our driver gave us cold towels and drinks upon meeting us. We were also greeted with cold drinks and towels upon arrival at the hotel. We loved our room which was very comfortable and had a porch/balcony. The bathroom had a separate tub and shower and amenities.

The hotel is located about 10-15 minutes away from town and also 10-15 minutes away from the temples. It is hidden on a nondescript street. It is nice to come back to a secret oasis.

Our room rate also included a remork/tuk-tuk and driver from sunrise to 10 pm every single day during our stay. This was such a wonderful bonus. We had the nicest drivers who took us to Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, and the other temples. We would visit the markets, lunch/dinner, back to the hotel, and pretty much anywhere we wanted to go.

Breakfast was also included in our rate. There was a buffet that included homemade jams, local honey, pastries and juice. There were also fresh croissants/bread, eggs, fried rice and other items that were cooked to order. One of our favorite items was the little glass container of homemade yogurt.

Every night we would return from dinner and enjoy a bedtime story and a list of all the movies that were on HBO. When we checked out, we were surprised to be given parting gifts before leaving for the airport.

The staff was the kindest, most attentive staff we have ever encountered in all our travels. We were always greeted with warm smiles. It is because of the staff and the comfort of the hotel that we found it hard to ever leave. We enjoyed hanging out in the swimming pool with waterfall and almost always had it to ourselves. It was a great way to relax from the heat in between our sightseeing and temple visits. We arranged to have massages in the spa room. There are two computers in the lobby which we sometimes used. We were so happy and lazy and ate a few lunches and dinners in the restaurant and enjoyed our meals. We felt like we were staying in someone's colonial house with family and good friends.

I have to thank Sebastien and his staff for making our first stay in Siem Reap so pleasant and enjoyable. Other hotels can learn from all of you because you really take care of all your guests and we still can't stop thinking about it, almost a month later. Thank you for thinking of everything!

1  Thank sfslinky
Write a ReviewReviews (2,136)

Reviewed 21 May 2009

We arrived at Pavillon d’Orient, Siem Reap, after an harassing journey in the middle of the hot season. The coolness of the garden was the first element that called our attention upon arrival. We then sat down in large and comfortable cane armchairs in the hotel’s hall and started taking our marks. The hall was on the ground floor of a traditional Khmer house totally opening on to an internal garden. Less then 30 seconds after our arrival the hotel staff welcomed us with wet and fresh tissues to clean our faces and presented us cool drinks made of citronella and honey. This was the starting point of three marvellous days of happiness in this little earthly paradise.

The staff were really caring and started calling me by my first name the day after my arrival; the room was really comfortable facing a luxurious garden and a swimming pool of salty water where we used to relax after visiting the temples; the hotel also included an excellent restaurant serving a great diversity of occidental and Asian food, a double massage room that allows for massages as a couple; the cost of tuk-tuk travels to and from the temples was included in the cost of the room. We were particularly surprised by the kindness and professionalism of the staff and of its manager – Sébastien – who was always both efficient and discrete. We were charmed as well by these small details that make all the difference, such as fresh fruits in the room, a different traditional Khmer tale on our bed at night (was it to sleep well?), presents for the Khmer New Year and upon departure (bracelets and traditional scarves).

It was an environment that was both intimate and discrete, very well adapted to a romantic journey as a couple.

Reviewed 21 May 2009

As many other reviewers of this wonderful have mentioned the care provided by Sebastien and all his members of staff is outstanding. I have never been as well looked after in a hotel. Phally at reception in particular accomodated our every request with a lovely smile and genuine warmth. We loved the room, the pool was heaven and hardly ever had anyone else in it, the food excellent and the little touches such as bedtime stories and departing gifts very touching. We were given a late checkout for no charge as our flight was in the evening and then just as we were about to go we found out our flight was delayed for 2 hours and once again we were given our lovely room back and the driver was asked to return in 2 hours. It honestly didn't seem to trouble the staff at all. We were so grateful to have a cool room to relax in rather than the airport. I hope I will have the chance to pass this way again and will definately stay at this wonderful hotel if I do. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2009

An excellent hotel with a superb and delightful staff who made every effort to ensure our stay with them ran smoothly and was enjoyable. I can't thank them enough for all of their efforts - we had a great time in Siem Reap and will definitely be back one day.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2009

Thank-you trip advisor for guiding me to this elegant and intimate hotel. The Manager Sebastien and his staff ensured that our stay was a huge highlight of a 3 week trip. Mr Dany was a stand out of the excellent staff whom looked after me like I was a long-lost friend. The rooms were large and atmospheric, the restaurant with cambodian and french influences was inexpensive and outstanding quality. The pool was a welcome relief and the end of each day. I enjoyed having the option of tuk-tuks included for my stay, but we also had a car and an excellent driver called Mr Hot. Sebastien arranged an excelllent itinerary which included travelling to remote and only recently opened temple ruins. This small intimate hotel thoroughly deserves the number 1 rating for Siem Reap. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2009
2  Thank drbenhanson
Reviewed 16 May 2009

We booked to stay here based on the reviews of Trip Advisor ~ our sole intent of travelling to Siem Reap was to explore Angkor Wat. Now I would go back just to stay at this delightful hotel. Sebastien and his staff just cannot be complimented enough.
The hotel is clean and comfortable, intimate and friendly. The staff ensure that everything is just as you would wish. The extras provided eg the free tuk tuk for the day make it excellent value, especially with our driver who was always on time, always friendly and with plenty of answers to our sometimes silly questions.
We've stayed at all sorts of hotels all over the world, from the 7 star Burj al Arab to the starless delights in Thailand. I can honestly say that a lot of big-name 5 star hotels can learn a lot from Pavillon d'Orient. This hotel puts a lot of them to shame.
Can't give you any tips re Siem Reap as we just wing it ~ but can most definitely highly recommend this excellent hotel.

Reviewed 13 May 2009

The only reason we went to Siem Reap is to see the Angkor complex. We were there for only 3 days.

I have booked the room when I decided to check out their official website and realised their room rate is lower AND more value with daily breakfast, return airport transfer and daily tuk tuk driver from sunrise till 10pm!

I contacted the hotel and the Manager, Sebastien is most helpful and efficient. Quick to address my concerns and helped me cancel my initial booking so I can take advantage of their room offer. What a relief and what a delight!

The only downside is that we didn't get to enjoy their breakfast because we were out for sunrise and by the time we got to the room, it was already dark. We didn't even use the pool and it did look nice! Lastly, we didn't get to use the spa too because we were busy with Angkor sightseeing.

We loved our room (though the bed is small for us and the netting can be a bit annoying though visually looks romantic), loved the balcony and pool view (nicely covered with tall plants for privacy), loved the farewell gift of two scarves and zodiac necklace! They acknowledged us as honeymooners with a bottle of wine but since we don't drink, we are still grateful for the thought and card.

Our tuk tuk driver is a shy young man but not an annoyance to us at all. He takes us to wherever we wanted to go. Friendly staff from the security guard who doesn't speak a word of English to the housekeeping lady we bumped into oaccasionally in the hallway.

Unfortunately, I had food poisoning the day we checked out but doubted it was from the hotel food. So be careful with raw lettuce especially at roadside stalls! The hotel room service serves a generous portion of food and must try is AMOK - their local fish dish....lovely!

Thank you for having us!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple