“Lovely old-world style and ambiance - gracious hospitality”

Pavillon d'Orient Boutique-Hotel
Ranked #31 of 353 Hotels in Siem Reap
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Lovely old-world style and ambiance - gracious hospitality”
Reviewed 16 November 2009

We stayed 4 nights at Pavillon d'Orient. The room was spacious and beautifully decorated in an old-world, colonial style. It was comfortable and had all the amenities. There was a private balcony overlooking the picturesque and tranquil grounds and nearby pool. The only suggestion - and it's a minor one - is to add a second bottom sheet or mattress pad/cover to the bed. The sheets were very thin and you could see/feel the mattress ticking. But it wasn't a big deal. Just wanted to add this as a suggestion.

The location was off a canal outside of the town, so you had to rely upon tuk-tuk to go shopping, sightsee or go to other restaurants. But this wasn't a problem at all as the tuk-tuk was included in our room rate. The driver was ours during the duration of our stay - from early in the morning until 10 pm. But with the exception of one night, we sent him home early. We were so tired after hiking through temples all day - we chose to get room service and relax at night. The staff were very friendly, warm and eager to help. Service was always prompt and with a smile. Breakfast was delicious and had a variety of pastries, fresh fruit and choice of eggs, sausage, bacon, etc.

All in all, would definitely recommend the Pavillon d'Orient!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jhawkx2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 November 2009

I had the pleasure of staying for 4 nights at Pavillon d'Orient earlier this year. At the time of booking, I couldn't ignore the near perfect reviews for this hotel on Tripadvisor and the reasonable prices ($75 USD per night). I can honestly say the hotel exceeded all of my expectations.

The airport transfer was smooth; the polite driver I had made a slight detour so that I would be able to get my first glimpse of Angkor Wat. Check-in was very civilized with a much needed cold towel and refreshing drink. I did not make any pre-arrangements for tours but was able to secure a guide for the next day at check-in. I was very pleased with the guide the hotel arranged for me so I utilized him for the duration of my stay. The guide and the tuk-tuk driver provided by the hotel are friends so they worked well with each other.

The superior room I had made a great first impression. The room is well-proportioned, beautifully decorated, and had modern appliances (strong air-con, flat screen TV with a good range of channels). I appreciated the small touches in the room and service: for instance, the retractable clothes-line over the tub, incense coils on the balcony, and the nightly turndown service. Fresh fruit and bottled water is replenished daily. There is free wi-fi although the signal was quite weak from my room.

The included breakfast had a good range of continental breakfast items and eggs cooked to order. I thought it was very smart and kind of the hotel to not limit breakfast to traditional breakfast hours. I often left the hotel before dawn to get an early start on touring and ate breakfast near the temples. I then returned to the hotel for a break at around noon or later, and took a second breakfast as lunch!

The only possible downside to the hotel is the location. It is about 15-20 minutes from the Old Market area of Siem Reap by tuk-tuk. Location may be a factor for visitors that want to enjoy the nightlife offered in Siem Reap; one will need to arrange transport back to the hotel on their own past 10 PM . It was not a problem for me; I was back at the hotel by 9 at the latest, as I was too tired from the early start each day. As for the location of the hotel in relation to sightseeing, I don't really think it makes a difference.

Check-out was smooth. My flight was in the late afternoon so the staff arranged a second room for me to relax in as I waited for the car service back to the airport.

I can't elaborate much more on the service. It was absolutely impeccable, very friendly and proactive.

All in all, no complaints from me and would not hesitate to recommend Pavillon d'Orient to others!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank tripleflip
Arlington, VA
Reviewed 14 November 2009

My wife and I stayed here during our honeymoon in May 09. We had an absolutely amazing time here!

The hotel is clean and beautiful. Rooms are also clean and have a modern/tradional decor. The staff is great - very polite and extremely helpful. The hotel's restaurant is also very good - try the amok fish!

The Angkor temples are amazing, and staying at the hotel and having your own tuk-tuk driver and guide take the experience to the next level. I would recommend hiring a guide for a trip to the outlying temples too, like kbal spean - you'll be able to see some of the countryside while you do so.

I highly recommend staying here. I'll remember this trip for the rest of my life!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ivebnevrywhereman78
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 13 November 2009

We spent 3 nights here in Nov 2009. On the whole, things were good- easy check in, adequate room, nice pool area and spa. What really makes this place stand out is the service. The staff is very proud of their hotel and it shows through in their attitude and smiling faces. Plus, since it's a smaller hotel, they really seem to get to know their guests. Also, everyone had excellent english skills (one of the few hotels I've stayed in in Asia where for once, there were no communication problems). Love the personal tuk-tuk concept and the location is very good- close to both the temples and downtown (though neither is walkable but again no problem thanks to the tuk-tuk).
The reason I didn't give them five stars is that the breakfast is not that good- limited options, same thing everyday (although the homemade yogurt is great). Minor issue but there is no wi-fi in the rooms; you can use free wi-fi in the pool and lobby areas and they do have two computers availabe free for guest use in the lobby. Also, it appears they are on the point of starting to look a bit rundown in the common areas- hallways, lobby, etc. If they can maintain and upkeep everything as it starts to wear down, they will be fine but I'd be interested to see what they look like two years from now. Overall though, definitely recommend!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 12 November 2009

We stayed here in September and it was without a doubt one of the friendliest most helpful hotels that I have ever stayed in. The hotel is lovely, location perfect, food is great and the staff go above and beyond to make your stay worryfree. The inclusion of transport options makes Angkor Wat sightseeing very easy and comfortable. Their private car driver speaks very good english and their tuk tuk drivers are very friendly.
We definately want to go back

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 2 November 2009

We stayed for three nights after a cycle ride from Saigon to Angkor Wat. Pavilion d'Orient was a perfect choice for us. Relaxing, lovely pool, fantastic rooms and bathrooms, great massage, cocktails and tuk tuks on hand for our trips to town. Without execption, the staff at the hotel are excellent, so friendly and helpful.

We would all love to stay there again.

Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 October 2009

This is a completely amazing place, I would never have expected such a beutiful place behind these walls. Perfect hotel, the best I stayed in Indochina, and I stayed in 30 hotels in this area. Go there and book early, it's often booked out.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple