“Cute little temple”

252 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 247 helpful votes
“Cute little temple”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I loved this temple, it's smaller than the famous Angkor Wat of course, but it's a quaint one. It's far from the main Angkor area, about an hour to get there but it's worth going to see. The color of the temple is a bit pinkish which is quite different from the usual temples we have visited. The detailed carvings also offer an interesting twist.

The area seems to be managed quite well, you can see some of the staff roving the area. A lot of locals too, who visit towards the end of the day. The lighting was great also towards the end of the day, but I did read that the pinkish colors stand out more during early mornings.

Not crowded at all, and this allows us to have a relaxing walk to and around the temple. I think this is the best way to really appreciate the serenity of the place.

We did this as part of a Beng Mealea, Kbal Spean and Bantay Srei loop, so our last stop was Bantay Srei. Great way to end the day and the overall temple visit, we went to the main Angkor temples the day before.

Bantay Srei is part of the Angkor Wat ticket so make sure you have a valid one.

As with any temple, there are kids selling postcards, souvenirs, etc. One particular kid was trying to sell me a pack of 12 postcards for USD1. Expecting that they will be pushy, I told him that I already have one and no I'm not interested in getting another. But this kid was smart, he stayed on to show me where the entrance is, walk beside me until the entrance and answered my questions and told me that he will wait for me outside and maybe I'll buy his postcards later, without sounding like pushy or whiny. And indeed, I saw him running back to me with a big wide smile on his face when we came out. And because he wasn't pushy, I decided to buy a pack of postcards from him :-)

Visited June 2014

• Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
98 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 145 helpful votes
“Well preserved and compact”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Having read some the earlier reviews, I think there is some confusion between Banteay Samre and Banteay Srei. Banteay Samre is the one made from grey sandstone near the south east corner of the Eatsern Baray. Banteay Srei is the one made from red sandstone, located about 20km north east of Angkor Thom.

Anyway Banteay Samre is a well preserved (restored) compact temple with a single tower (very much like the main Angkor Wat tower), surrounded by the usual galleries and walls. It is very compact with small spaces between the structures which gives the illusion of the building and walls being much higher - a bit like midtown Manhattan.

There are fewer (group) tourists here so one can spend a quiet time wondering around and understanding the basic concepts behind Angkorian architecture, making a visit here before the major sites such as Angkore Wat or Preah Khan a worthy investment.

Visited May 2014
London, United Kingdom
110 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“Another amazing Temple.”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Great temple to explore and not many other tourists around to spoil your shot.

Very peacful place that is not too far away from Angkor Wat to discover.

Some of the steps are steep but worth it to see this temple up close.

Restaurant across road from entrance is good for food/drink break.

Visited March 2014
Brussels, Belgium
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“My number 2 of all Angkor temples”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This temple is my number 2 of all Angkor temples (after Ta Prohm). Although it is located outside of the small and big rounds, and you need to pay extra 15$ to the taxi driver(for fuel), it worth the visit. We visited this temple on the way to Banteay Srey (to pay extra only once :) ) This temple is awesome and it was completely empty. We took amazing shots.
We had an awesome driver/guide, which I recommend to all of you:

Visited April 2014
Broughton, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“My favourite temple”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Don't know why I like this temple above the 10 others we visited but its just stunning. Possibly more of the Indiana Jones feel as opposed to the Lara Croft feel ?

Visited March 2014