“Fantastic”

Ranked #58 of 180 things to do in Siem Reap
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kompong Phluk is a village on the Tonle Sap Great Lake.
Nerang, Australia
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

We paid $20 for the tuk tuk, $24 for 2 on the boat and $14 for 2 on the canoe . A total of $29 each and it was worth every cent. We loved our tuk tuk ride out . Our boat driver was great a described things to us as we went. He even let my husband have a drive of his boat. We got to the village , which was amazing with young children jumping into water and playing,houses on stilts with pigs, rabbits, chooks and people going about their every day life. I just cant imagine how they live life every day like it. We had an older lady take us around on the canoe and loved every minute of it. These people are trying to make a living to survive each day. My husband gave her a $2 tip at the end and she couldnt believe it, smiling and thanking us continually. We loved that theses people allowed us to step into their backyards.

1 Thank purplestamp

• Vietnamese first
Dubai
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Excellent view into local water village life”
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

A great experience to see how a water village operates with exceptional photo opportunities!
Entry ticket is $25 this does not include the small boat ride into the mangroves/forest. They will tell you it does but it doesn't. No other entry purchase option.
The experience is worth it, but it did slightly ruin our time when they tried to sell stuff & charge for things.

West Haven, Connecticut
81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“NIce to get away from the temples for a half day”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

It's work the ride in the mangroves after seeing the fishing village. It's supposed to be not as impressive in the dry season. We would have gone out on the lake itself for a short ride if the waves had not been kicked up so much. Nice villagers and different look at the Cambodia life. Glad we took the trip out there. Our tuk tuk driver even went out with us (we didn't take a guide as it wasn't really necessary for this part) since he'd never visited the fishing village. Enjoyable for sure. It was nice to have a break from the temples so we could enjoy the next day, our last day, in the Agnkor park a bit more.

Visited September 2013
Siem Reap, Cambodia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It has changed!”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

After a good review in our guide book, we decided to give this site a try. After reaching it, however, it seems like it has gone from a charming attraction to a rip-off in the past few years. My boyfriend and I paid 15 USD to get out to the dock, where we expected to pay 8-10 dollars for the ride. Instead, for 20 dollars each we got put on a giant noisy boat with a guide that spoke no English. After a long a noisy ride out there, we paddled around in a canoe paddled by a cambodian woman, who took us through a bit of the town and trees for another 10 dollars. I think this trip might have been a really cool thing a few years ago, but isn't worth it at all now!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Larkin B
Toronto, Canada
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“You Better Like Boats & Water!”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I can't honestly remember what I paid for the boat trip but what the other reviewers have noted; $20 is probably correct. This cost is in addition to the taxi but it was included in the other activities I had negotiated with my taxi driver (Roy) ahead of time. When I traveled there in mid September it was raining so I was happy to be in a covered taxi rather than in a tuk tuk. It was an ugly drive to get to where I caught my boat so I can only imagine what it would have been like in the tuk tuks we passed that day. Better safe in a taxi than sorry on those non North American highway roads!
After Roy dropped me off to pay the fee and catch my long wooden boat, I headed down the Tonle Sap river way along with my captain who couldn't have been more than 16 yrs. old but he sure knew how to handle that boat. We passed fisherman and plenty of rice fields until the river opened up a bit to expose some colourful wooden houses built on stilts. One of the first one's we came across was a school which I thought was pretty neat. There was a few other community buildings before the residential housing appeared. I'm not sure how sturdy these are but I certainly couldn't live in one of these homes (I like my plumbing). They had floating gardens where vegetables were being grown and floating cages where chickens and pigs were being raised.
A little further down, the boat captain docked at floating community fishery ecotourism centre. It also doubles as a restaurant and from what I could see on the chalk board, a school at times. I had a nice meal which I almost felt compelled to buy even if I was mildly hungry. I opted to take a 30-40 minute paddle boat ride around the 'floating forest' I think my paddlers were a mother/daughter team and the daughter couldn't have been more than 12 years old and she was the one in the back steering! The mom & daughter duo slowly followed the semi-marked trail around this unique forest. It was a very peaceful ride as I was seated on the floor of the boat,
Aside from some rain during the motorized boat ride to and from the village it was an enjoyable side of Siem Reap to see other than temples.

Visited September 2013