“Affordable!”
Review of Lucky Angkor Hotel

Lucky Angkor Hotel
Ranked #210 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We stayed here for our 2012 new year celebration. Our room is clean, comfy and complete with amenities. The bathroom has a tub, h&c shower etc. There is a free tuktuk ride to the hotel from the airport or bus. But they fetched us from another hotel. The free breakfast is buffet style. Not bad for a 4star hotel and on a promo rate. The pool is great and the garden is relaxing. The staff are cheerful and accomodating. The location of the hotel is a bit far from the market and the city center (restos, bar and spas). But there are small stores and restos a few meters away. Overall, a very nice hotel in the middle of Cambodia.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 April 2012

This hotel was a good value last year and a better value this year. The pool bar is now open and the rooms now have free wifi. I was given a room upgrade and stayed in a new room, with a view of the pool, in the back building. The room was very comfortable, with a flat screen TV with 80 channels. The bathroom has a spacious shower and a bathtub. Toiletries, slippers and bathrobes were all provided. The hotel restaurant was offering a discount so I gave room service a try. The menu choices are limited but I was surprised to find the Khmer meals were as good, and the quantity better than Pub street. The pool deserves special mention. It is large enough and is surrounded by lots of flowers, bushes, and trees. Together with a tropical drink from the bar it is very relaxing. You can even sit in the shade with your laptop as the pool has wifi too!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 March 2012

The tour company we booked our holiday through moved us to this hotel after having a bad experience. We were quite surprised to find that the rooms were big, clean,no nasties,the pool was big and the staff happy to help. The only con was that it was not near the tourist area but we didn't mind paying $3 for a tuk-tuk. The breakfast was hot and had a variety of things.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I only had the pleasure of staying here for 2 nights. I wish I could have stayed for a week. The staff here are extremely helpful, friendly and very well-spoken. The rooms are extremely clean and tidy with very comfortable furnishings. State of the art electronic room control system right next to your bed which controls the lights, temperature and alarm clock.
When I left the hotel, I forgot my weight pockets for my BCD in the room and only realized this once I arrived in Phuket and was unpacking my dive gear. I was really worried as these are worth $100 each. I emailed the hotel once I realized I had left them there and they confirmed they had them and said they would send them to me in Sihanoukville at no extra cost. Once I arrived in Sihanoukville about 1 week later, the package was there waiting for me.
I highly recommend this hotel to anyone as it truly is a great hotel to stay at.

Room Tip: They're all good.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank KiwiDiverAbroad
Reviewed 8 September 2011

The rooms and hotel itself were spacious and comfortable. The price was very good - so good in fact that I booked individual rooms for my adult son and myself. Amenities were few although the pool was quite nice. Staff were friendly and unobtrusive. Breakfast was fine - nothing special but certainly adequate and with enough variety to suit most tastes.
The distance from the center of town (Pub Street) was a concern at first, but it was still only a $3 tuk-tuk ride away and a very pleasant trip at that. All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel for the value conscious traveler.

Room Tip: The hotel seems to be in two sections. We stayed in the wing furthest from the road and behind the...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 July 2011

It is definately one of the best value for money we have stayed in, the room was large and well appointed with everything. It is like a resort with a large pool, Gym (not that we used it),restaurantetc. The staff are helpfull and courteous, It is very clean, Nad they will pick you up from the airport

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank normancoochie
Reviewed 6 June 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in January for $75. A taxi from the airport desk to the hotel cost $7. Our driver wasn’t sure exactly where the hotel was but we drove through town & then onto National Road no.6. The hotel is situated a speedy 7 mins drive down the road to Phnom Penh, after the market (Psa Leu I think) on the left hand side. Look out for the prominent Smiling Hotel on the right hand side & it's just past here.

We arrived at about 7.30am and assuming we would not be able to check in, were pleasantly surprised when we were greeted by the hotel manager with a refreshing drink, cold flannel and a key to our room! The hotel is in 2 buildings, separated by the pool in the middle. Our room was in the front block on the corner of the 2nd floor, overlooking the road and a small building site next door. We were immediately worried about the noise but amazingly, we weren’t disturbed at all & I am a light sleeper! The room was huge and nicely decorated with comfy traditional Khmer furniture and had a big tv and tea & coffee making facilities. Storage space was a little lacking but we were living out of our bags so this wasn’t a problem. The bathroom was nice (with bath) & toiletries/hairdryer. The pool area is great - we’d deliberately stayed here rather than in town as it was more spacious & had a nice looking pool – the photos did not disappoint! There were only a handful of sunbeds (16 at most) but it was also never particularly busy. There was only one time when all the beds were taken & when 2 guests came down, the pool boy grabbed the extra sunbed cushions & laid these out on the floor. As is the norm in Siem Reap – the hotel clientele is in the main Korean – but that’s also good as they tend to go out on their big tour buses early on & don’t come back until late. Facility wise - there’s a free internet terminal in the lobby. There was supposed to be a spa but we never found it.

The hotel’s restaurant serves breakfast , lunch & dinner but we only ever had breakfast, preferring to eat dinner in town. Breakfast was reasonable (choice of cooked eggs, lost of asian hot dishes, streaky bacon, potatoes, fruit, pastries & breads). We tended to eat quite late (9 onwards) and were always the only people eating so there were only a couple of bits of everything left but if you look like you want to eat something the staff bring extra portions from the kitchen!

The location is absolutely fine – yes it is a bit out of town but you get more for your money here and we became quite fond of our slightly hazy tuk-tuk rides home each night! Tuk-tuk drivers wait outside the hotel at all times & although they start off at inflated prices into town ($4/5 each way!) the norm is $2 each way. We tended to get dropped off in town after our days out & get a tuk-tuk back at night. We were travelling on to Phnom Penh afterwards & the manager kindly booked bus tickets for us & these were added to our bill.

I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it as a comfy base with great facilities.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple