“Great people, great memories.”
Review of Lucky Angkor Hotel

Lucky Angkor Hotel
Ranked #222 of 374 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Wow, I'm surprised to see so many mediocre or downright bad reviews for Lucky Angkor. Our experience was the complete opposite back in September 2013.

We found Lucky Angkor on the agoda app and booked for a great rate. I emailed the hotel our flight information and asked for transportation to be arranged. When we arrived in Siem Reap we were greeted by our driver Mr. Chet. He was a great guy. His English is limited but we loved playing charades to understand each other. Arrival at the hotel was seamless. We didn't have any issues with the staff not understanding us and the welcome drink was refreshing on a hot Cambodian evening.

The room we received was one of the better ones during our 21 day trip. The room was clean and featured a large size safe, a spacious bathroom, and a cool little gecko in the corner keeping the place bug free. The bed was definitely hard like some have pointed out, but I found that to be the case all across SE Asia on our 21 day trip so I can't fault Lucky Angkor for that.

The location might be off-putting to some but we found it perfectly fine. You'll be about halfway between downtown Siem Reap and Angkor Wat. To get to either you'll need a tuk tuk but, that's fun, right? Driving through the city, seeing the life. Our driver showed up each morning at the time he specified and took us to the various temples as well as a nice place for lunch. When we got back to the hotel he would ask if he wanted to go out downtown that night so he could come back to get us. We declined both times because we were pretty exhausted from the heat and temple exploration, and because there was a nice surprise at the hotel we wanted to enjoy.

The nice surprise was the staff. The detail that tips this review rating from Very Good to Excellent is that the staff was absolutely fabulous from the front desk to the housekeepers to the bartenders, to the restaurant, to the porters. We were lucky enough to schedule our trip in the slow season when the hotel was mostly empty so we got to talk to everyone a lot more than the average visitor.

Each day we came down to have breakfast/dinner in the hotel restaurant where we had a great time talking with the entire staff there and enjoyed some delicious food. In the evenings we skipped going down to Pub Street because we adored hanging out by the pool with the bartender Mr. Chen, and the porter who's name I can't remember now. He is studying Chinese to someday be a tour guide at the temple. Mr. Chen has some business aspirations of his own. Those two guys were so fun to talk to in the evenings. It's funny to me now that Angkor Wat is one of the most intriguing historic sites in the world and yet when I think about my trip the first thing I remember is listening to Mr. Chen and the porter speak about the details of their lives, how things go in Cambodia, etc.

When we left the hotel and made our way back to Thailand, the whole front desk staff came out to say goodbye and good luck. It was the first and only time on the trip where we were sad to be leaving because we had spent enough time talking with them on a personal level. If I were to come back to Siem Reap, I would absolutely stay at this hotel again purely because of how much we liked the staff. Thank you, Lucky Angkor!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank milesandtime
Ratana5793, Manager at Lucky Angkor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear Milesandtime,

Warmest greetings from Lucky Angkor Hotel! Happy Khmer New Year!

On behalf of our management and staff, we sincerely appreciate your valued comment to our properties and service. Our commitment is to provide our best services to the customer.

We look forward to your return trip to Lucky Angkor Hotel again.

With best regards,

The Management

Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

That hotel is a bit far from the city. You will need a tuk tuk.
Room size are fine but it was not 100%clean, especially the bathroom. The staff are ok but I can not say more than that!
All your expenses in that hotel need to be carefully checked before payment!!!

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Booked on fairly short notice. It was easy to find, and conveniently close to Angkor Wat. The room was clean, and quiet. Internet was quite slow and didn't work from the room for the first night. The bed was hard as a rock however. Staff was friendly and courteous.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Canada_Garnet
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Looks good from the outside but it seems like they skipped a few steps during construction. Also, I didn't realize when I booked that it was so far from the city centre. We were only in Cambodia for 2 nights and given the location of the hotel I didn't feel like we really got to explore Siem Reap. We took a tuk tuk into town one night for dinner after exploring the temples at Angkor and things were definitely more lively and happening there. I would recommend finding a hotel in that area. To top things all off I am pretty sure the cleaning lady stole cash from us...

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ledercho
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights. I already had some qualms with this hotel before arriving, as I had tried to contact them via email about our airport pick up from siem reap international airport but after several unsuccessful attempts I had no response. And surprise surprise there was no-one waiting for us at the airport and we had to get a taxi. When we arrived the staff were ok. A lot have a limited understanding of English and will not be able to understand you easily, be careful and use your words wisely. Our room was nice and had all the basics. The breakfast was pretty average, not the best by a long shot. The hotel also includes a daily free tuktuk to the old market in siem reap town for online bookers. Also we sometimes got a 20% discount on drinks and food at the poolside bar. I'm not entirely sure why we did sometimes and other times not but I'm not complaining. We had some problems with the staff. We called to reception to get our bathroom fixed and had to call several times before they understood and came to fix it. Sometimes we just gave up trying because they clearly did not understand and it was easier just to leave the small things and work it out ourselves. We visited the temple one day and wanted to have a pool day the next but the pool was closed for the whole day for cleaning I assume, we weren't impressed as besides the temples, there's not much to see here. We tried to ask the staff when the pool would reopen but they didn't understand, we gave up instead. They did however manage to organise our bus to Phnom Penh which was good. Door staff are obviously only trained to say hello, but offer to help you, get confused, and smile at you instead. Hmmm. Overall a pretty good hotel, it's not really in the middle of town but tuktuks are cheap and readily available. Pretty easy to get around here.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Henry S
Reviewed 14 January 2014

This place lacks in comfort. The beds are rocks, only 1 small flat pillow per bed and bathrooms need major overhaul. The hotel has potential but could use a remodel in the dining area, breakfast is just ok, place is very dark. The customer service lacks, the poor girls at the front desk can't answer a single question without going into the back room to ask a mysterious person for approval. Charged a $1 for ice in a bucket. Transfer was included from airport but they didn't provide a car big enough for the 8 people that were part of our party. I rented 3 rooms. Many emails were exchanged about having 8 people and needing a big car for which they said no problem. No apology or attempt to pay for our taxi. I definitely would not go back many other hotels to choose from in the area.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank wmreajs
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I took this hotel because it was included in the package. However, I checked that the price via internet would be around USD50 a night that was not so expensive. I stayed here for 3 nights and took the so-called "French style" dinner here in the first night because that was also inclusive in the package. In my opinion, food and service are OK here after considering the price.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo