“Awful!”
Review of Home Sweet Home

Home Sweet Home
Ranked #197 of 292 Speciality Lodging in Siem Reap
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Me and 4 friends booked to stay here for 3 nights. We booked a 5 bed room and paid a deposit online.

When we arrived they gave us our key. We went to our door to discover a big hole in it from where the door handle and lock was missing and when I pushed the door open, there was a worker in one of the beds and the room stunk!

The worker seemed annoyed at us to have woken him and said we could have an extra room with one bed for the same price. He didn't understand there was 5 of us together and we wanted to stay together!!

They also said they would fix the door. Too little, too late!!

We got our deposit back and left. Went to two dragons next door where the service is excellent and the room is clean!!!

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank ElleLemon
There are newer reviews for Home Sweet Home

Reviewed 12 January 2012

My friend and I stayed in Vietnam at first and booked our Cambodia trip just the same day as we leave on the midnight. Home Sweet Home was not our first choice since we didn't know about it yet until a couple in the hostel we stayed in Vietnam told us about it. Since we didn't have time to contact and search other hostels, we just chose this. We tried to email them, however there was no response since we needed a confirmation from them right away.

Since the call from hostel phone in Vietnam to Cambodia is expensive for my friend and I, I was forced to ask my boyfriend who is in the Netherlands to call them. He had a hard time understanding them since he is not exposed to Southeast-asians trying to speak english.

However, I think he still made his message get across.

So after 12 or more than hours trip from Vietnam to Phnom Penh, we got to the central station and looked for a telephone. Home Sweet Home answered right away and I told them that we will be sleeping there that night and we need a room for 2 people and a person to pick us up from the bus station.

They just asked the time of our departure and which bus station.

After long hours of trip again, our tuk-tuk driver, Tiger, had a sign with my name on so we were relieved that our booking via phone last minute was good.

Anyway, the staff is great. VERY FRIENDLY AND ACCOMMODATING. They would love to talk to us Filipinos and chat with us every now and then. THE FOOD IS GREAT. Try BEEF LOK LAK, one of the best meals I tasted there.

I love it there and I am looking forward to stay at Home Sweet Home again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 January 2012

The rooms are clean, spacious and have balconies. The toilet is very clean and spacious.
Every day, clean rooms, changing bed sheets, pillow cases.
Only $ 6 for two persons, without breakfast but they have free internet, and speed is ok.
The only criticism is that oppress to eat at their restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Looking for a place to stay, We stayed here for 4 nights. Staff were friendly and helpful. there is plenty of places to eat near by.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 December 2011

I have booked 1 single room 04 USD at this Guesthouse ( GH) on Agoda.com
After that, I booked directly 3 other nights with this GH with the same price
When I came to this GH, its staff , in good mood , told me that my breakfasts when I was there would be free because there was a promotion from the GH, I thanked him so much!

When I intended to pay , this GH 's boss said that I had to pay 08 USD for 3 nights!.because that was the price for my room !
( Please be minded that he did not mention about the breakfast , that means:
- implicitly that whether the breakfast was included in the room charges as the 1-night room charge I paid via Agoda.com included the breakfast ,or
-that came from promotion I was told by his staff )

.I said that " all had been settled clearly between your staff and me by e.mail, I could prove that to you"

He let me use his computer, but after a while using, I told him that I could not use it, he was near me but did not do anything to help me. I had to go to an public Internet on the street to have my e.mail printed out to show him. He read the paper maybe in 3 minutes and told me:" Ok, you will pay this with my staff at 07pm"

07pm, and his staff told me that I would pay 08 USD /night for 3 nights! because of the breakfast charges!

I told him that right when I came, he did tell me that was free, he answered he just said about the one night I booked via Agoda.com and there is no mention about breakfast included in the room charges in our e.mails!!!

I intended to stay 1 more day to bring this problem to the local police, but my trip plan and my hotel booking were fixed, so I had to pay

So, who ever intend to book room of this GH must be extremely cautious ! One of this GH staff told me that I was not the first to get problem with this "no-smile" and "you- must- look- at- me- as-a -VIP" boss, and I think I will not be the last!

To the GH boss: when you do something illigitimately to someone, remember the " cause and effect " relation !

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I paid 5 dollars a night for a clean room, with a roof fan, wooden furnitures and with TV. I couldn't get more for this price. During my 2 months backpacking trip in SEA, I couldn't help but sharing the tip with all the travelers I met. If you travel on a shoestring but still request comfort and cleanliness...that's the place to go in Siem Reap!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I would certainly recomend Home Sweet Home to anyone staying in Siem Riep.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and spoke good english. They helped us to orgnaise a trip to Angkor Wat and our transport to our next destination.
The hotel also had a restaurant which was open at 4am to serve us breakfast before we went to Angkor Wat for sunrise.
Our room was spacious, with big comfy beds, wardrobe, tv etc. Bathroom was adequate. And it was all clean too.
They also had 2 computers (with internet) which were free to use!
And it was so cheap - we payed about $2 each per night. Brillaint value for money.

Good location aswell - it only took us about 10 minutes to walk along the riverbank into the centre of the city to the restuarants and markets.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
shisv, Manager at Home Sweet Home, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2011

Home Sweet Home is good hotel in SIem Reap