“wendy, australia”

Ranked #293 of 342 Hotels in Siem Reap
Hobart, Australia
“wendy, australia”
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I have stayed at Angkor Way hotel two times now,the first being an intrepid visit. I find it a very friendly family run hotel with lovely staff. I like the restful spacious pool area and the beautiful traditional rooms, lined in timber. For the price including a vast array of breakfast, its very good. My colleague stayed at the borei angkor for more than ten times as much and really, it wasnt an enormous difference apart from the extra flunkies. The beds are a little hard, but very clean and the full size bath is lovely. Its only a $1 tuktuk to town if you are too lazy to walk, but you can walk along the river which is interesting. The reception staff could not be more helpful. They do need a computer room upgrade soon however. I would say it was a great budget option for backpackers and families.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Warragul, Australia
Reviewed 2 October 2012

The hotel does have tired sheets, and the service is very slow but the people are so nice and compared to areas where more resources are available seem to be doing the best they can. Cambodia lacks many things and one of the reasons I went there was to experience the world of others. Yes, the power does flicker, but is this the fault of the hotel, just look at the outside services, how can one compare it to better resourced places.

The wifi was free but intermittent. I heard that it was better at the pool but I don't want to go pool when I am insomniac at 3 in the morning. It was free that's to their credit and if the hotel is having trouble meeting running in a difficult environment, well isn't that what I went to find out about, so how could I complain?

The pool is wonderful. I was supplied with an electric kettle which to me means so much because not only do I very very much appreciate a nice cup of tea how and when I want it but also a kettle ensures plenty of safe water for tooth brushing etc.

The fragrant oils massage I had was wonderful, and for $15 in my own room such a pleasure . Even the tuk tuk drivers out the front were nice, they took a refusal with a smile and blessings.

The restaurant was poorly run and the breakfast sub standard but there are a few nice places within 100 meters. One I was so impressed with I went back later to find the waiter to give him a tip,he was so pleased, but I wasn't so pleased when I found out thet what I had thought was a generous tip was only worth 25 cents, Ho hum I suppose that can be the result of not understanding the local currency.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 September 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on an Intrepid tour and the hotel reflects a lazy approach to hotel selection.
We checked in and walking down the hall way was like walking into a dim, dark funeral parlour. There were barely enough lights on to find your way. When I got to the room it was clean, but with obvious signs of wear and tear in the bathroom including built up mould on the tiles and shower curtain. The air con in my room was not working so I was quickly moved to another room... In which the tv was not working and only two of the four dim lights had working light bulbs. After I'd used a torch to sort out my stuff I went to jump in the lift and surprise, the entire lift area was in pitch darkness. Not a single working light.
Worst of all were the beds. It was like sleeping on concrete. I've slept (or attempted to sleep) on more comfortable floors.
The hotel is a good 20 minute walk from anywhere so budget several dollars for the tuk tuk trips you will no doubt be paying for.
The staff are sweet and accommodating and the pool is really lovely but the awful beds and lack of maintenance overshadows the positives.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank LuckyMH

Travellers are raving about these Siem Reap hotels

Reviewed 1 September 2012

Stayed 3 nights on Intrepid tour.

Has nice outdoor pool/bar area, gym (without any fans or air con.. A sweaty workout! Equipt old and not maintained)

Rooms nice, air con works well. Clean. Hardish beds but clean linen.

Brekky included but pretty average western options. Asian options were broad and seemed to please other guests.

Owned by Chinese family (I was told) who live on site. They seem lovely.

Wifi great in pool area + reception. Bad in rooms. Crappy, slow computers!

• Stayed August 2012
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We checked into our superior room Sat 25/8/12 it was ok, could have been slightly cleaner, the location was good close enough to the city centre and Angkor Wat and airport, however our driver did get us lost on the way from the airport. After two nights we noticed the air con was leaking so we called reception, staff member was quick to inspect, the problem continued and we requested a ro change-which was no hassle at all. We move to a room that had a view of the pool, the staff were all extremely friendly-especially the pool cleaner! Breakfast was a good selection too! Overall a pleasant stay with the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank gg_waz
Honolulu
Reviewed 10 July 2012

The pool was lovely and hardly anyone there! The staff were helpful and friendly.
The room was average. The beds were soft and could feel every spring. The bathroom was gross. Ewww. lots of mold on the shower curtain... and dingy lighting.
The breakfast buffet was decent - plenty of vegetarian options.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
North Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We arrived at midnight after flight delays and were met by friendly staff who showed us the room booked as part of our package. The air conditioner was not working so they kindly moved us to another room promptly. Higher category rooms have been recently renovated. We had a standard room which could have done with updating, however it had nice pool views and was adequate for our 2 night stay.
This is not a glitzy new hotel but is a charming, traditional style building with beautiful timber work detail in the foyer and restaurant. The pool area was nice with an outside bar. There is an antiquated gym and spa area.
I note they have a new web site which claims it to be of boutique standard - however I feel it has a fair way to go. Once renovated and updated I'm sure it will fit the bill. Even though there were independent travelers staying here, it looked as though many larger tour groups also favour this hotel.
The hotel is a short tuk- tuk ride away ($1- $2) from the main part of town, and is only a short walk to the museum. Tuk-tuk drivers are always at the front of the hotel. Seek out Bol, as he was a great guy and spoke English well.
The Restaurant Manager and General Manager introduced themselves to us and were very professional and friendly. They guide an enthusiastic team who want only the best for their guests. We were invited to lunch to try the traditional dish of fish amok. This was prepared and presented to the highest standard by the head chef, who was partially trained in France.
The hotel has a charm of its own, however if staying longer try and book a higher category room with a pool view on a higher floor.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple