“Dingy”

Angkor Way Boutique Hotel
Ranked #303 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 16 January 2013

This place is great for backpackers. It was booked via my tour agent as a three star, but really it was 1 or 2. I've never hated a hotel so much that I would write a list and take pictures just to share on tripadvisor, so here it is!.
-There were ants all over my sink coming out of the drain. I had no food
-my shower curtain looked like it's never been changed...ever. It had blood stains (took a pic) and it was too short for the tub thus water liked to flow out.
-the showerhead has a removal head, but it's too short for any mobility. But if left on the wall, the water would spray out to floor. So showering for tall people I imagine would be hard as I'm 5'2" and had to bend down to get my hair wet (while balancing myself as I didn't want to touch the shower curtain.
-the shower had hair in the drain before we arrived and was never cleaned our entire 3 day stay
-no hair dryer in hotel or safe
-the towels are not super clean. One had hair stuck on it, and another had stains.
-room service never refilled our ammenities such as toilet paper or tissues
-power is spotty so AC would turn off in middle of night and lights would go off during the day and night
-I couldn't get my keycard in properly to turn on the lights for the room. SO we showed a folded up brochure into it.
-Buttons didn't work on TV. We had one station.
-wifi is free but it never worked unless I was at the pool where there are a lot of mosquitos.
-music in the hallway is loud. you can hear it in the room while you're trying to sleep
-my view was of the neighborhood homes garbage and laundry
-the lamp shade in our room was old, yellow and ripped.
-the breakfast was so-so but it was free.
-there is a sign that says money exchange but they will only take your foreign money and give you local currency, not the other way around. They had some excuse like I don't have enough change. But I saw they did have enough, the manager just didn't want to give up American dollars for local currency. he was real shady. His staff was about to change for me and holding the change that supposedly wasn't there while he yelled at them and told them to go away while he lied to my face. TIP DONT EVER GET LOCAL CURRENCY. They don't even accept that at their local supermarket. Everyone seems to use USD.
-another incident I had at this hotel is that my room was the first one next to the elevator. So people coming and going which was normal. What's not normal is to awaken to the sound of the phone ringing non-stop at 7am in from of the elevator. What was it you ask? Well after three times of going outside answering the phone and yelling at whoever it was, I called the front desk from my room to complain to find out its the front desk trying to get a hold of their maids who were down the hall cleaning another room. I was so mad I unplugged the phone. and 20 minutes later it was ringing again!!!
But that could be a one time event.....maybe....
So some ok parts of the hotel...
-the beds were ok. a bit hard and pillows flat but much better than the bathrooms.
-the floors were hardwood and were always clean.
-they gave us two free water bottles that would be replaced if you took one.
-the pool looked nice but I didn't go in as there were many leaves in it from the surrounding trees but they were being cleaned by someone.
-the bar at the pool is not always staffed. i had to go find someone to get a beer.
-i asked for extra pillows and towels and the front desk staff brought it up for me. So i assume this place just has multiple tasks for staff

It's not really close to anything but there are so many tuk tuk (pedicabs or motocabs) that it's not difficult to get around.

Room Tip: DOn't stay here
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank monsternina
There are newer reviews for Angkor Way Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 13 January 2013

This place was very good overall but the pool needed a more prominent attendant. The hotel has recently been purchased by some a Chinese business and they chatted with myself while I was poolside about what I thought could be improved on in the hotel. They agreed with what I said and I felt that they also had similar ideas about what upgrades needed to be done. Hopefully in the future there will be more lighting in the rooms and easier access to money changing facilities as I had to argue a little with attendants about breaking a $50 US note so I could get a tuk-tuk into town. If you want a hotel which isn't too far from the temples, then this is a good place. The lay out of the hotel is very nice and the pool is well maintained.

Room Tip: Good place to stay if you're seeing the temples.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Stayed here on an Intrepid Trip. Easy location for Temples and into Siem Reap. Food at Pool Bar was acceptable but very, very slow service. Pool is very refreshing after a day in the temple heat. Just beware that there are some biting insects which i didn't spot whilst relaxing there but they did spot me! Room was clean & comfortable and the lights are controlled by the bed side table - it takes a while to work out which switch is for what as they don't match what it written down! Breakfast had an array of different things from eggs to spaghetti carbonara.
Overall quite a good Cambodian hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank twiga5280
Reviewed 14 December 2012

We started our 3 week trip Cambodia /Vietnam here,it is in a good situation with an easy swalk to the main centre for restaurants,plus many cyclo options outside

Room was Delux and was spacious with efficient air conditioning,and very clean.Staff were friendly,but be careful when using mini bar to keep records and receipts

Breakfast had a good selection

The pool area was excellent and remarkably cool in comparison with high humidity everywhere else

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank WALKTHEWORLD187046
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I have stayed at Angkor Way hotel two times now,the first being an intrepid visit. I find it a very friendly family run hotel with lovely staff. I like the restful spacious pool area and the beautiful traditional rooms, lined in timber. For the price including a vast array of breakfast, its very good. My colleague stayed at the borei angkor for more than ten times as much and really, it wasnt an enormous difference apart from the extra flunkies. The beds are a little hard, but very clean and the full size bath is lovely. Its only a $1 tuktuk to town if you are too lazy to walk, but you can walk along the river which is interesting. The reception staff could not be more helpful. They do need a computer room upgrade soon however. I would say it was a great budget option for backpackers and families.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 October 2012

The hotel does have tired sheets, and the service is very slow but the people are so nice and compared to areas where more resources are available seem to be doing the best they can. Cambodia lacks many things and one of the reasons I went there was to experience the world of others. Yes, the power does flicker, but is this the fault of the hotel, just look at the outside services, how can one compare it to better resourced places.

The wifi was free but intermittent. I heard that it was better at the pool but I don't want to go pool when I am insomniac at 3 in the morning. It was free that's to their credit and if the hotel is having trouble meeting running in a difficult environment, well isn't that what I went to find out about, so how could I complain?

The pool is wonderful. I was supplied with an electric kettle which to me means so much because not only do I very very much appreciate a nice cup of tea how and when I want it but also a kettle ensures plenty of safe water for tooth brushing etc.

The fragrant oils massage I had was wonderful, and for $15 in my own room such a pleasure . Even the tuk tuk drivers out the front were nice, they took a refusal with a smile and blessings.

The restaurant was poorly run and the breakfast sub standard but there are a few nice places within 100 meters. One I was so impressed with I went back later to find the waiter to give him a tip,he was so pleased, but I wasn't so pleased when I found out thet what I had thought was a generous tip was only worth 25 cents, Ho hum I suppose that can be the result of not understanding the local currency.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 September 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on an Intrepid tour and the hotel reflects a lazy approach to hotel selection.
We checked in and walking down the hall way was like walking into a dim, dark funeral parlour. There were barely enough lights on to find your way. When I got to the room it was clean, but with obvious signs of wear and tear in the bathroom including built up mould on the tiles and shower curtain. The air con in my room was not working so I was quickly moved to another room... In which the tv was not working and only two of the four dim lights had working light bulbs. After I'd used a torch to sort out my stuff I went to jump in the lift and surprise, the entire lift area was in pitch darkness. Not a single working light.
Worst of all were the beds. It was like sleeping on concrete. I've slept (or attempted to sleep) on more comfortable floors.
The hotel is a good 20 minute walk from anywhere so budget several dollars for the tuk tuk trips you will no doubt be paying for.
The staff are sweet and accommodating and the pool is really lovely but the awful beds and lack of maintenance overshadows the positives.

• Stayed: September 2012