“There are better options in Siem Reap”

Angkor Way Boutique Hotel
Ranked #291 of 340 Hotels in Siem Reap
Melbourne, Australia
“There are better options in Siem Reap”
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We had a 3 night stay here recently and while it wasn't an especially bad experience I'm sure there are better places to stay in Siem Reap in this price bracket.

Unfortunately there were issues with the pool during our stay which resulted in water issues on our first night (eg. caught in the shower when the water was turned off). Fortunately this was fixed for the remaining 2 nights.

We found the location to be too far from the centre of town to be convenient. It's a 20-minute walk to Pub St, albeit quite a pleasant walk once you get to the riverside promenade, about a quarter of the way in. There are, however, a ready supply of tuk-tuks out the front.

We had a big comfortable (twin) room with TV, A/C and fridge that showed signs of wear and tear. A proper bathroom, with a separate bath and shower, not one of those horrible wall-mounted things that make a mess everywhere. Strangely a kettle was provided but nothing else to make a tea or coffee.

The (included) buffet breakfast is extensive, though probably a bit too heavy on the "asian" options for the average westerner. I found the choices that were to my taste quite limited. Extra points, however, for having a toaster (even if it didn't work overly well) and omelettes made to order.

While there are several other positives (eg. a lift, an efficient - if pricy - laundry service, very friendly, helpful staff, free water provided daily and free internet in a room off reception) it wouldn't be enough to make me stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CBK23

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

The pool was lovely. Lift was a bonus. wiFi was hopeless. Breakfast was very ordinary. Went as part of an Intrepid trip. Would rather stay closer to town & source our own breakfast. Room was ok. Laundry service a bit expensive.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
San Jose, California, USA
Reviewed 16 January 2013

This place is great for backpackers. It was booked via my tour agent as a three star, but really it was 1 or 2. I've never hated a hotel so much that I would write a list and take pictures just to share on tripadvisor, so here it is!.
-There were ants all over my sink coming out of the drain. I had no food
-my shower curtain looked like it's never been changed...ever. It had blood stains (took a pic) and it was too short for the tub thus water liked to flow out.
-the showerhead has a removal head, but it's too short for any mobility. But if left on the wall, the water would spray out to floor. So showering for tall people I imagine would be hard as I'm 5'2" and had to bend down to get my hair wet (while balancing myself as I didn't want to touch the shower curtain.
-the shower had hair in the drain before we arrived and was never cleaned our entire 3 day stay
-no hair dryer in hotel or safe
-the towels are not super clean. One had hair stuck on it, and another had stains.
-room service never refilled our ammenities such as toilet paper or tissues
-power is spotty so AC would turn off in middle of night and lights would go off during the day and night
-I couldn't get my keycard in properly to turn on the lights for the room. SO we showed a folded up brochure into it.
-Buttons didn't work on TV. We had one station.
-wifi is free but it never worked unless I was at the pool where there are a lot of mosquitos.
-music in the hallway is loud. you can hear it in the room while you're trying to sleep
-my view was of the neighborhood homes garbage and laundry
-the lamp shade in our room was old, yellow and ripped.
-the breakfast was so-so but it was free.
-there is a sign that says money exchange but they will only take your foreign money and give you local currency, not the other way around. They had some excuse like I don't have enough change. But I saw they did have enough, the manager just didn't want to give up American dollars for local currency. he was real shady. His staff was about to change for me and holding the change that supposedly wasn't there while he yelled at them and told them to go away while he lied to my face. TIP DONT EVER GET LOCAL CURRENCY. They don't even accept that at their local supermarket. Everyone seems to use USD.
-another incident I had at this hotel is that my room was the first one next to the elevator. So people coming and going which was normal. What's not normal is to awaken to the sound of the phone ringing non-stop at 7am in from of the elevator. What was it you ask? Well after three times of going outside answering the phone and yelling at whoever it was, I called the front desk from my room to complain to find out its the front desk trying to get a hold of their maids who were down the hall cleaning another room. I was so mad I unplugged the phone. and 20 minutes later it was ringing again!!!
But that could be a one time event.....maybe....
So some ok parts of the hotel...
-the beds were ok. a bit hard and pillows flat but much better than the bathrooms.
-the floors were hardwood and were always clean.
-they gave us two free water bottles that would be replaced if you took one.
-the pool looked nice but I didn't go in as there were many leaves in it from the surrounding trees but they were being cleaned by someone.
-the bar at the pool is not always staffed. i had to go find someone to get a beer.
-i asked for extra pillows and towels and the front desk staff brought it up for me. So i assume this place just has multiple tasks for staff

It's not really close to anything but there are so many tuk tuk (pedicabs or motocabs) that it's not difficult to get around.

Room Tip: DOn't stay here
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank monsternina

Travellers are raving about these Siem Reap hotels

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 13 January 2013

This place was very good overall but the pool needed a more prominent attendant. The hotel has recently been purchased by some a Chinese business and they chatted with myself while I was poolside about what I thought could be improved on in the hotel. They agreed with what I said and I felt that they also had similar ideas about what upgrades needed to be done. Hopefully in the future there will be more lighting in the rooms and easier access to money changing facilities as I had to argue a little with attendants about breaking a $50 US note so I could get a tuk-tuk into town. If you want a hotel which isn't too far from the temples, then this is a good place. The lay out of the hotel is very nice and the pool is well maintained.

Room Tip: Good place to stay if you're seeing the temples.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Stayed here on an Intrepid Trip. Easy location for Temples and into Siem Reap. Food at Pool Bar was acceptable but very, very slow service. Pool is very refreshing after a day in the temple heat. Just beware that there are some biting insects which i didn't spot whilst relaxing there but they did spot me! Room was clean & comfortable and the lights are controlled by the bed side table - it takes a while to work out which switch is for what as they don't match what it written down! Breakfast had an array of different things from eggs to spaghetti carbonara.
Overall quite a good Cambodian hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank twiga5280
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2012

We started our 3 week trip Cambodia /Vietnam here,it is in a good situation with an easy swalk to the main centre for restaurants,plus many cyclo options outside

Room was Delux and was spacious with efficient air conditioning,and very clean.Staff were friendly,but be careful when using mini bar to keep records and receipts

Breakfast had a good selection

The pool area was excellent and remarkably cool in comparison with high humidity everywhere else

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank WALKTHEWORLD187046
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I have stayed at Angkor Way hotel two times now,the first being an intrepid visit. I find it a very friendly family run hotel with lovely staff. I like the restful spacious pool area and the beautiful traditional rooms, lined in timber. For the price including a vast array of breakfast, its very good. My colleague stayed at the borei angkor for more than ten times as much and really, it wasnt an enormous difference apart from the extra flunkies. The beds are a little hard, but very clean and the full size bath is lovely. Its only a $1 tuktuk to town if you are too lazy to walk, but you can walk along the river which is interesting. The reception staff could not be more helpful. They do need a computer room upgrade soon however. I would say it was a great budget option for backpackers and families.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business