“We Left, the only way you can vote for this one is by not staying”
Review of Hotel Be Angkor

Hotel Be Angkor
Ranked #300 of 485 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Cape Town
“We Left, the only way you can vote for this one is by not staying”
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We were the only guest in this small boutique hotel. It is a gay friendly hotel which i find cool, enough discrimination everywhere.
The owner was there accross the road when we arrived, me and my wife. I guess positive discrimination in this case lead him not even to come and say hello and welcome, was your 24H trip to Cambodia ok. He knew we were arriving from Cape Town.
He didn't bother to wave at us during the 36H we spent there, was busy courting and that seamed more important than welcoming a guest.

We had the Sepia room. Supposed to be the best. The room is indeed large and nicely decorated, but the 2 air con (32°C outside means you have no choice) sounded like an old russian or chinese war engine coming out of a recycle war machine. And it had no bath tub, not OK for me in this price range.

We were told the reception was up at 6, which is already late to see sunrise in Angkor. Woke up in the morning and called, No answer. Called 10 min late... no answer
I went down, found no one, meaning not a single soul in the hotel, all exterior doors closed, ie we were locked inside.
A nice staff arrived at 7:30 and told us the other person left because he had to study for an exam.
I hope he succeeded at least.

The best part was the massage me and my wife had. really good and this is why i give it a star.
If you are looking for a man2man massage, i guess this is an excellent place. In my case my masseur was very well trained and respectful of my body.

We took a tuktuk and found the FCC hotel which was splendid for cheaper.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jh-pb
, Owner at Hotel Be Angkor, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
This review, and the one from 29 June are from the same guest stay, one from the husband and one from wife. I am not sure ifTrip Advisor allows multiple reviews for the same stay but will let them sort this out. As with some reviewers, they feel the need to be heard and sometimes more so than the many other guests that have an enjoyable stay and do not feel compelled to write a review. This would seem to be the case here with two reviews saying the same thing.

To be sure, we as a hotel had shortcomings in some areas during this guest's stay that have already been addressed with the staff when it happened, prior to receiving any reviews. Due to our intimate size we know exactly when we have satisfied guests, as the vast majority are, and when we have missed the mark. That other guests have not found the same shortcomings is somewhat heartening but not at all acceptable from our side as we strive to make every guest stay the best it can possible be.

As the owner, I am disappointed that the guest thought that I somehow neglected them upon arrival. As it turned out they were scheduled to arrive in the afternoon but missed their flight and arrived later in the evening. At that time I was with other customers and having dinner and assumed incorrectly that I would see them when they came down after check-in or during their planned five day stay. As that did not happen I am very disappointed. The majority of the guests that I do have the pleasure of meeting I will tell them that that staff are there to take care of them and I sincerely hope they have the best possible service as a result. We as a team fell short in this case but as a result of understanding this we are better for it, as we can make the necessary adjustments to better serve future guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Yomitan-son Nakagami-gun, Okinawa, Japan
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My husband and I are world travelers and have stayed at some really great places. Hotel Be Angkor is now one of our favorites and FOR SURE the place you want to be. The service of the staff is truly first rate- they were just amazing. Being a small hotel of 3 rooms, they were so attentive and super friendly. We actually miss them…we spent so much time talking and laughing with the guys that work there. The rooms (apartments, really) are unique and artistic, and sooo comfortable! The planning and beauty of this hotel is unparalleled!! If you want something no one else has that is special and one of a kind, while luxurious and pampering...this is it!! We felt so safe and content there, we were very sad to leave. We've never gone back to the same place twice, but I feel certain we will go back to Hotel Be Angkor. It is located EXACTLY where you want to be in Siem Reap....on Passage Street (all the delicious restaurants!). The next street on one side- Pub Street. The next street on another side- all the markets! Everything you want is a short walk! We could not have picked a more wonderful place. You will fall in love with it like we did!! You won't regret choosing this boutique hotel! It was AMAZING and above all the service and staff were the BEST EVER!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Denver, colorado
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel for three nights. Great location in town. Beautiful photos/furnishings, nice linens, comfortable large rooms and friendly helpful service. Breakfast was sketchy (instant coffee, fruit juice, eggs and toast). Our driver was fantastic - used the SUV service for two days. Have him take you to his friend's espresso coffee truck as you are touring Angkor Wat - fantastic coffee.
Recommended restaurants: Cuisine Wat Damnak (wow!), Aha, Viroth's, Cafe de la Paix (lunch).

Room Tip: All three rooms looked nice.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I knew that I had chosen the right place to stay as soon as I was met at the airport by the hotel's driver. (Return transfer is included) He immediately made me feel welcome and at home.
I stayed in the saffron room, which having looked at the other rooms available I actually preferred. It was very comfortable with a nice separate seating area and a good sized balcony from which to enjoy a nice cocktail or your breakfast. Room service is very good and they make the best cosmopolitan cocktail.
There is a good rain shower and nice amenities. For such a centrally located hotel it is very quiet and I was not disturbed by any of the noise from the restaurants or bars near the hotel. However the room is located above the AHA restaurant and there were times when noise from this restaurant could be heard. There was a good choice for breakfast which you order the night before and is served in your room at a time of your choosing. The quality of the breakfast was very good.
A minor hiccup was on the first night there were problems with the electricity and water supply but the staff were so wonderful in trying to sort out the problem and did everything to make us comfortable so it wasn't a big issue at all.
Personally I was not impressed with the AHA restaurant, the food is good but I think there are much better places to eat with better surroundings, for example Viroths restaurant.
The staff really made my stay a fantastic one, they are so friendly and I think that they genuinely care that you are having a good stay and do everything they can to ensure that you enjoy yourself.
House keeping was excellent, the room always looked nice and clean with a turn down service in the evening. I would have no problem recommending this hotel and I look forward returning there when I next visit Siem Reap.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Stayed at Hotel Be Angkor for 3 nights recently during my trip to Siem Reap. The hotel was located right in the middle of everything which is very convenient. The staff was absolutely amazing and very helpful and always had big smiles on their faces. We stayed in the Saffron Room which did not have its own terrace but breakfast in front of the hotel in the morning was just as nice. I would definitely recommend my friends to stay at this hotel as it is really great value for the price they charge. Also, a must try is the AHA restaurant in the hotel with the best food I have had in a long time.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Good sized room bang in the middle of everything in Siem Reap, yet remarkably peaceful place to enjoy a good night's sleep after excellent food at Aha Restaurant downstairs and a few drinks in the numerous local bars.

Staff are friendly and very helpful.

If you want swimming pools and bus loads of Asian tourists there are, of course, plenty of alternatives. If you want to soak up the unique atmosphere of the old market area of Siem Reap and be a few short steps from your base, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank lighthouse3132
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Hotel Be is an oasis in Siem Reap, it's in the heart of the action giving you access to everything the city has to offer at your door step. We stayed in the Sepia Room which is a stunning room of modern design. The bedroom opens onto a small balcony overlooking the street below, the living room is spacious and comfortable which also provides access to the rooftop which gives stunning sunset views across the rooftops of Siem Reap as well as providing a private space to unwind on the banana lounges after a day of temple trekking.

The design of the Sepia Room is brilliant, ultra modern and brilliantly decorated. We really enjoyed our stay and valued the space this room afforded us most of all, it was more like an apartment than a hotel room.

The staff are all very friendly and helpful, we were met at the airport in a lovely airconditioned 4WD and from that moment on we were treated exceptionally well. What I like most about the staff is if they see you out and about in town while they are running their own errands they will stop and say hello and ask how your day is going.

I would highly recommend this hotel, beats staying at some chain hotel group and you just can't beat the location to really experience Siem Reap. I can also recommend the restaurant downstairs - AHA, not owned by this hotel but excellent.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple