“Exquisite people - good money value” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of European Guesthouse

European Guesthouse
Ranked #134 of 499 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Massarosa, Italy
“Exquisite people - good money value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I spent 5 nights in a twin room for single occupancy. I only have nice comments about this guesthouse. Friendly staff, nice chill-out area, very clean and spacious room. You have all the comforts at a reasonable place. Also had all my breakfast there and it was lovely all served with a warm smile. I would definitely go back there and would recommend to everyone

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Hi there
Thank you very much for your kind review. The staff try very hard to get things right and it is very nice when I can show them reviews like this.

Please come again and good luck with the rest of your travels.

All the Best

Murray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I switched to European after getting dumped at some guesthouse the tuk tuk driver at the bus station made a commission off of. I have to say that I am forever grateful that I did! Immediately upon arriving, I met the owner, Murray, and had a lovely chat with him about his involvement in the community (as this is one of the reasons I was drawn to this place). The staff were more than welcoming and went out of their way to assist me. I chose an AC dorm room, room 16, upstairs, which was great- super clean, large, and very cool.

The food at European is delicious! I enjoyed their pizza as well as several other dishes. I really didn't need to go anywhere else to eat or drink, however, Nicole, the manager, was very helpful (and spot on) in recommending places on and off pub street. I especially liked her recommendations off of pub street where many ex-pats hung out.

A few days into my stay, I got very ill. Murray, the owner, took it upon himself to take me to a blood lab to get tested as I thought I had dengue. Turns out I had typhoid (got the jab 4 yrs ago instead of 2). He made sure I got the proper medication and then instead of having to be miserable in a dorm room, they were kind enough to move me to a private room with a friend who I had made there so I could completely rest. They delivered soup up to my room and checked in on me daily. I couldn't have asked to be at a better place during a time when I couldn't even get out of bed.

I can't thank Murray, Nicole, and the rest of the staff at European enough for the hospitality they showed me. They really went out of their way and treated me like family. Everyone who I have referred there since has had nothing but great things to say as well! In fact, another one of my friends felt ill last week while staying there and Murray got her all sorted out as well.

Nothing at all bad to say except the food can get a bit pricy if you are there a while and on a backpackers budget-but if you aren't bedridden- that shouldn't be a problem :)

If you want cleanliness, cozy environment, chilled out space, and great staff- stay at European! By the end of my time there I had stayed in the downstairs dorm room, dorm 16 and a private room and all were great and very reasonable.

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
1 Thank 79wanderlust
Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Hi there
Thank you for your very nice review. I will share this with the staff who will be delighted.

We genuinely try to get things right. We also appreciate that people are far from home and when any problems arise medical or otherwise we do feel that we have a certain responsibility to help.
You were part of a really good bunch and we were glad to have you. You have also sent us a lot of referrals for which we are very grateful.

For your information I now have tropical medicine medical degree on my to do list :)

Happy Traveling

Murray , Nicole, Chankea and the Team
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Friendly helpful staff with a good sized quiet room but our air-con was broken (we still had a fan which wasn't very good) - but we were told that we should have let them know the air-con wasn't working so they could fix it. The area was a 15 minute walk from the centre of Siem reap or a $2 Tuk Tuk that was always available. Decent cheap food in the restaurant. Main problem was the electricity in the area kept going off intermittently, and on our last night was off for a good hour so the hotel put on the generator after a while which didn't work that well. This was more a problem with the area than the hostel as all the other hostels lost electric too and so it could be a bit spooky walking around the area at night with no street lights.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Hi there
First of all thank you for your review. I am sorry we have taken a little bit of time to reply however I wanted to make sure I had the facts since you have a number of negative comments.
First of all your air con was not broken. When you checked out and reported that you had a problem we immediately checked the Ac unit and there was nothing wrong with it. That does not surprise us because we check all Ac's as part of our pre arrival check and make sure that everything is working. Whether you were pressing the wrong buttons on the hand unit I dont know but we really don't understand why you didn't tell someone during your stay instead of waiting till check out. Makes no sense.
You said that the fan wasn't very good. The fans in each of our rooms, to support AC where a guest wants it, are standard roof mounted tropical fans the same as pretty well everywhere else in SE Asia or Africa or wherever. They are about the size of a small aeroplane propeller and if you turn them full up they will blow the covers off your bed. So I dont understand your comment that it wasn't very good. What else was it supposed to do?
The electricity going off was the Siem Reap part of the Cambodian National grid over which we have no control. Unlike a lot of places though we have a back up generator which we use if power is off for any length of time. But you say "the generator didn't work that well". If we didn't understand the problem with the fan we are pretty well bamboozled at what was wrong with the generator. It was on so what was to like or not like. Our generator is off site so the guests cant even hear it!
Finally as mentioned earlier the power was off in the whole of Siem Reap not just our street. However even when the power is on most of the streets dont have street lamps anyway. This is the poorest country in SE Asia so get used to the dark whether it is spooky or not.
I am satisfied that your issues seem to be more to do with the state of the Cambodian National Grid than our guesthouse.
However thank you for your stay and safe traveling.

Porto Alegre, RS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

The place is cool, have wifi everywhere and the staff is friendly. The big problem is that the dorm, during the morning and day, is VERY hot! You wake up at 8 o'clock in the morning sweating. The restaurant prices are not friendlies.

Room Tip: Dont take fan rooms!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dalvan M
Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Hi there

Thank you for the review.

However I think you are being a little bit misleading and I think you are aware of this. You opted to go for the budget fan dorm. We told you that outside the cool season the fan dorm is going to be warm and for an extra $1.50 per night you can sleep in an AC dorm. But you decided that this is what you wanted because it was cheap. You cannot have things all ways. Buy a Toyota and complain that it is not a Rolls Royce. The fan dorm is cheap because it is a fan room not AC. It was your choice against our advice so it is very disappointing that you now blame us for your decision.

Anyway such is life

Ostrava, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Really nice guest house with good restaurant. Very cheap. Hotel is very near to centre of siem reap. I was in dormitory room and price 5$ is realy nice. If i going to siem reap again european guest house is the perfect choice

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
Hi there

Thank you very much for your very nice review. It is always very nice to have a happy guest.

I hope the rest of your holiday goes well and maybe we will see you again sometime.

All the best

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

The room was very clean as were the toilets, showers and bar area. The staff were really nice and helpful. Happy to talk to you about your trip, help you plan things or just give advice. They all speak English so there are no communications issues and you can get some really good info from them. I opted for the tuk-tuk from the bus station and really glad I did. when I arrived it was dark, pouring with rain and busy with drivers looking for business. My driver was stood at the very front of the bus door with my name on a sign, he helped me with my things an I was out of the crowed in under 2min. I really recommend you book this or you could be told your hotel isn't there anymore an take you anywhere the driver likes.
The guesthouse has it's own tuk-tuk drivers and will help you plan your own unique day out or can take you to the best known spots all for a very reasonable price. Plus they all speak English so last minute changes in the trip are possible. In fact I did this at 5am and there was no problem at all. As a solo traveler the communal area being clean and friendly is one of the most important things for me and it was. The wifi connection was good, plenty on comfortable seats and good food. I recommend the place and can't see any relation between the negative comments made here and the guesthouse I stopped in.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Hi there

Thank you for your very nice review.

We always advise that guests take a Tuk Tuk pick up as it gets their stay off to a good start with no hassle. And we also recommend that guests use the Tuk Tuk s for temple visits. The drivers can help you organise your time to make sure that you get to see all of the temples and there are quite a few! Some with pretty steep stairs so it is good not to have to walk too much between temples.

Anyway thank you for this and we hope to see you again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Clean spacious rooms, reliable wifi, friendly and helpful staff. Last but not least a really nice traveller vibe. All your needs are covered here and the staff are happy to sort you out with whatever you need, without being intrusive or pushy. Good location, with tuktuks right outside and bike rental onsite. Great value for your money. Would definitely visit again!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Hi

Thank you for the review. I always enjoy being in the European when we are a little busy as it is great to watch all of the different nationalities and age groups getting on so well. Very pleasant atmosphere for the guests and also for our staff who respond very well to happy guests. Cambodia is that kind of place.

Anyway we would look forward to seeing you again and I hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.