“An excellent choice!”
Review of Khmer Inn Angkor

Khmer Inn Angkor
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Siem Reap
Khmer Inn Angkor
Ranked #142 of 262 Speciality Lodging in Siem Reap
Beijing
“An excellent choice!”
Reviewed 23 February 2010

We arrived in Siem Reap quite late and this hostel was not very easy to find. But our stay in Khmer Inn was totally worth it. 14$/day with a big and clean room. And we didn't expect we'd have a nice breakfast included. Although we didn't visit ant other hostels in SR but I do think that this is one of the best options for backpackers to stay.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kenny_Chou

Families
Business
The Exotic Orient
Reviewed 1 February 2010

Best to avoid rooms which face the wall (dim and stiffling) and those on the ground level (no privacy as those are near the reception and breakfast area). Rooms on the top floor appear to be nicer (more natural light coming in and have better views). The guesthouse actually looks better on the outside (corridor seating area) than the room inside.

It's impossible to read in the room at night - not enough lights inside and they're all very dim. Shower room is large but doesn't seem to be well maintained or clean.

Breakfast is below average : VERY diluted coffee and tea and bland marmalade for your baguette. Staff service is so so. The owner is very persistent in asking if you need tuk tuk for the temple visits or if you want to book bus tickets from her.

At US$13, it's ok for those on a budget - otherwise check out other better places at a slightly higher price nearby.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank TravellingApe
Dubai
Reviewed 8 January 2010

We've been staying at the Khmer Angkor Inn since mid December and don't actually check out until mid March (volunteering at a local orphanage). Considering the duration of our stay my friend and I felt that finding the right guest house/hotel was extremely important. We spent a silly amount of time searching through websites and looking on trip advisor so I thought I would do anyone else in the same boat a favour by strongly recommending this guest house. It is a family run business and as it's small (about 12 rooms) you really get to know the owners (in fact they have invited us to their sister's wedding today which we are very much looking forward to).

The rooms are bigger than average for the price range with very comfortable beds. The bathrooms are large (no baths though, just the typical 'wet room' effect that you see over here). There is also a shared balcony with deck-chairs and a overhead fan where we spend most of our time. The room also has a small fridge, ceiling fan and I believe most rooms if not all has air-con. There are also a couple of chairs, a wardrobe and a TV with stand, oh and not forgetting WIFI.

They clean your room every day and provide fresh towels and water every time. Sorry if I'm going into detail here but when you're on a strict budget you normally can't afford the luxuries of having your room cleaned every day but we were pleasantly surprised when they pitched up to clean our room!

The breakfast comprises of toast and eggs (in whichever format you prefer!). This coming week Polly (the owner) is going to show us how to make a traditional breakfast and in return we're going to show her how to make pancakes (they may therefore be on the menu by the time you get here!).

So basically you're getting a really good service with exceptionally clean and well appointed rooms for a bargain (trust me, we've been in and out of guest houses here and Phnom Penh and are happy that we found this little gem). Also if you stay on a monthly basis then they will give you an even better rate.

I should point out that there are a couple of down sides (not really negatives but something to keep in mind). The rooms can be little dark at times, given the direction the building is facing. Because of the shared balcony though we spend most of our time out there as it's much more enjoyable than just sitting on my bed the whole time. Also the entrance to get into the guest house is not exactly breathtaking. it looks like you're walking up someone's driveway and into their home. After the first day though you soon forget about it and actually enjoy the fact that if feels like a home you walking to rather than a big hotel.

The location is good. It's on a back street just off the main road and is about 5 minutes walk to the main part of town. You can hire bikes for very cheap (and in the evenings they will just give you the bikes for free). There are also a couple of tuk-tuk drivers who are always playing pool downstairs that will take you to the temples etc. for a good price.

I can't recommend this place enough...

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank AshleyMcDonald
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 9 October 2009

I was actually surprised when i arrived in my room. I'd read not to judge the hostel by the outside (which was great advice!) but when i got to the inner courtyard, it's actually very nice. The rooms were very large and had seats on the balconies outside. They offer a free airport transfer which was helpful. I then used that driver Mr Soun for the next 5 days for a great rate. He took me to see everything, even on long days when i was ready to go back to the hotel, he was keeping me motivated to see more. He was great. If you stay there, ask for him!
It's a 10 minute walk to the bar street and main part of town. I was actually glad it was away from that area as it was nice to be in a more local quiet part.
Yes it would have been nice to come back to a swimming pool after a day in the oppressive heat there, but want can you expect for such a great price.
If I went back to Siem Reap, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank travelinginasia
HCMC
Reviewed 1 August 2009

The room is spacious & cleaned everyday and the cost is so value for money. The host is so nice. The most memorable thing is the warm & cozy breakfast every morning :) Well, it's not that fast, to be honest - this is not a 3-4 star hotel, what can we expect? But it can't be denied that the host is always trying his best to make his guest at the most comfort.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 15 July 2009

This place is really good value. It is cheap but nice! It gets you more than what you would expect for the price.

As a solo traveler I got a big room with two big beds. There was also a closet, two chairs, a desk, bedside tables and bedside lamps. I loved how the room was painted pink, brought a lot of charm. The bathroom was fairly big and had a great shower. Free towels, toilet paper and drinking water were included. The room was very clean. Only thing was the crack under the door: I had a cockroach walking in from the garden outside the door once (but luckily the owner was nice enough to remove it for me).

The location is OK: a 10 to 15 minute walk to pub street and situated in a quiet street. Don't be put off by the entrance, as on the inside it is really quite nice with a little garden and relaxing chairs. One negative aspect I would regard as safety. When you leave during the day you are supposed to leave your key, but they hang it on a wall outside basically for everyone to grab. There is a drawer in the wooden closet that you can lock with a key, but it is quite small so could only keep your passport and money.

The owner is very friendly and helpful and speaks good English. The place has free wifi but unfortunately when I stayed there it didn't work most of the time, according to the owner this was due to heavy rainfall.

I would probably stay here again unless I am on a bigger budget, but then again, what you get here is probably the same as what you would get in slighter upscale places, so it is really good.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
Germany
Reviewed 8 February 2009

The Khmer Inn is a new little, nice and very cheap hotel in Siem Reap. Is is a 10 minutes walk from all the restaurants and bars. From the street is does not look so welcoming because it lies in the backyard of an older and simple house. But the hotel itself is quiet and very clean. Our room was big and nicely furnished and came with air con. The bathroom was simple but clean and had hot shower. The friendly owner speaks english and german. A very recommendable little place.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)