“A Garden of Eden”
Review of The Kool Hotel

The Kool Hotel
Ranked #205 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 2 September 2011

From the minute we checked in until the minute we checked out we were made to feel like members of the Kool Hotel family.

This hotel‘s service is second to none. Nothing is too much trouble and the lovely managers will arrange everything to make your stay as relaxing and comfortable as possible - transport to Phnom Penh, tickets for the museum and massages to name just a few. They are very knowledgeable on the history, attractions and activities of Siem Reap and the surrounding area.

The breakfast is filling and the menu has so many choices. The food is fresh and when my husband asked for something a little different it was made with no fuss or bother at all. Also tried some of their lunch and dinner options…yummy!

The swimming pool is a fantastic after a hot day out at the temples or around town. The laundry service is reasonably priced and they did a good job of removing the mud from our shoes and clothes after quad biking. The free wifi and use of two computers is a added bonus.

I know some have mentioned that the hotel is not centrally located in town, but for my husband and I this was a plus as you are away from the noise of Pub Street and have the benefit of a lovely garden. It is only a fifteen minute walk or a few minutes in a tuktuk away from all the action.

I can not recommend the Kool Hotel highly enough and have recommended it to my family and friends. I was sorry to leave and can’t wait to return to paradise and the Kool family.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank moomoonz2011

Reviewed 2 September 2011

Decided to stay at this hotel after looking through all the reviews here gushing about how perfect this hotel is.

Reality was a bit less ideal.

Cleanliness- nothing to fault here. Everything was nice and clean.

Location- A bit far from the town centre. You had to take a tuk tuk to everywhere. I've been to Siem Reap twice, and I realised that after a long day out visiting all the temples and eating at road side restaurants or eateries, you wld want to enjoy a bit of air con or ambience while having dinner, and the only place that offers you the two are in the town centre. Therefore, having a hotel near the town centre would be make it more convenient.

Price- was affordable but frankly, you can and do get better value at other hotels/guesthouses. (Stayed in Angkor Voyage in 2006 for USD13/night- and Angkor Voyage was on a quiet street just off the town centre)

Pool- Salt water and was closed for maintainance the whole 4D3N i was there. So I cant provide more comments on this.

Transportation- Transportation around the temples is of course more expensive if you get the hotel to arrange for you. A tip- go to the town centre, pick a tuk tuk that looks newer and more comfortable, have a chat with the tuk tuk rider to see whether you are comfortable with him, and arrange for him to ferry you around the temples. I did this (with my mom and aunt) and we managed to find a very dependable driver who was nice enough to double up as our guide to various sites.

Conclusion- to be fair, if you aren't too concerned about location, this place is ok. But if you are on a tight-ish budget, you can find hotels/guesthouses providing better value with a better location.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Infinity00
GMDerleng, Manager at The Kool Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2011

Thank you for taking your time to give us some feedback regarding your stay.

We aim to provide good value for money with friendly and personalised service accommodation at a hotel standard with swimming pool, freshly cooked and made to order breakfast, bathtub, highly efficient air-cons and some other items that they are not found at guest house level. Obviously our rates are highly than those guest houses particularly the mentioned one ($13 in the year 2006) but from what we provide at our hotel, we thoroughly believe that we are still a good value for money hotel accommodation. By comparing a hotel to a guest house, it might be like comparing an apple to an orange. They are all fruits but they do not have the same tastes.

Location wise, we are located within of Siem Reap town area, it takes 5 min ride to the pub street. There are also a number of great restaurants very close to us e.g Abacus. We also provide complimentary shuttles to and from pub street area nightly . One great benefit to stay a bit away from pub street is a good nights sleep.

It is quite impossible that our pool was closed during the date of your stay. Our swimming pool was closed for maintenance for a couple of days only in January 2011 not in March 2011. After Jan 2011, we never close our swimming pool unless it is closed for maintenance after 19.30 hrs nightly. We will definitely put a notice on our website or through our agents if our pool have to be closed more than a day.

Reviewed 1 September 2011

Short facts:
- super clean and nice hotel
- VERY, VERY friendly people (the manager can directly be the customer service manager of the Ritz)
- a nice swimming pool
- very nice rooms with anything you can expect within this hotel category

....for 45 USD per room!

For sure there are even better hotels in Siem Riep, but in this category, that one is MINIMUM 5 out of 5 stars!

THANKS to all. We'd love to stay with you again!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I was actually very surprised about every aspect of this hotel. From the personal greeting we received where we were introduced to both the surrounding area and the things to do - to the very nice (warm) pool, the fantastic cocktails and the excellent included breakfast, I was thoroughly impressed.

Before booking this hotel, I was a bit skeptical about all of the glowing reviews on Trip Advisor - and had assumed that a large number of them must be fake, especially given the price. However, I am convinced that all of these highly rated reviews are legitimate. I have stayed at numerous hotels throughout Cambodia - in Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville, Battambang and Siem Reap, but this one is likely to be my favourite.

Room Tip: All rooms are fine.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2011

An accomodation that aims to provide guests with 5-star hospitality. Management is friendly, personable, and speaks fluent English and greets guests with a thorough welcome and introduction to the hotel upon checking-in. Beautiful facility with its own garden, pool, restaurant. Very clean, quiet, and there is free wifi and desktop computers available. A la carte breakfast offers a variety of choices from oatmeal to omelettes and club sandwiches in addition to endless fresh fruits and toasts. The breakfast chef is amazing! The hotel goes out of its way to make you comfortable. They even provide free pick-up from the airport/bus station. Housekeeping did need some reminders about changing the linens during our 4-night stay. About 10 min by tuk tuk to Angkor Wat, and front desk can help you to arrange for rides. Be aware that there is no lift in the hotel, so ask for a room close to the ground if you don't like climbing stairs. Only downside to this hotel is that it is not within walking distance to the vibrant part of town (Old Market, Pub Street)... if that bothers you at all. Wasn't at all a problem for us, because the hotel also provides free nightly transfer to and from the Old Market. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Stayed in this family run botique hotel with my parents and my family for four days. Don't be misled by the unassuming 50m approach road. There would by a gem once you are there. Friendliest staff I have come across in all the hotels I stayed....hospitality redefined. The rooms were spacious and clean - comparable to any star hotels. However, would recommend a larger towel rack and extra cloth hooks in the bathrooms. The lobby area and dinning space are designed with an oriental touch. The pool is small but clean. A dip in it is quite refreshing at the end of the tours in heat and humidity of Siem Reap.
The tour arrangement for the three days was done by the hotel staff and they took care of all the minute details of the tours. The menu is limited but the catering staff are flexible and took care of the special dietary needs of my parents. They even packed the breakfast for the last day of our stay as our flight was quite early in the morning. Internet is free albeit slow. There are some problems with the WiFi in some corners, but this should not be accounted as a demerit.
Overall, the stay was memorable. Would definitely stay in Kool hotel if I visit Siem Reap again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank AKAsm
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I stayed at the Kool hotel on a recent trip to Siem Reap and I was happy with the stay. It is not the best hotel you can find but for it's price it provides good value for money and the staff are SO helpful.

The staff make the place relaxing and informal. They treat you more like family which is what I like when I travel. They arrange everything for you and nothing is a hassle. The manager arranged my laundry to be done at the last minute which was so amazing given it was so late in the day. In fact, they are so helpful, in order for me to see Angkor prior to the hordes of tourists, they arranged Danny the tuk tuk driver and asked the chef to prepare an early buffet breakfast for me prior to 7am. It is these little things that make it go from a good hotel to a very good place to stay.

Sure, there are some minor details that require maintenance but most people, including myself, can live with a "rough around the edges" environment if the staff try really hard. Thank you Kool Hotel!

Ps. Book Danny the Tuk Tuk driver...he is not your average Tuk Tuk driver. He is trying to start his own business so he can give his children a better life...great guy!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo