“Great Stay at the Kool Hotel”
Review of The Kool Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Kool Hotel
Ranked #193 of 353 Hotels in Siem Reap
Richland, Washington
“Great Stay at the Kool Hotel”
Reviewed 25 October 2009

My husband, sister and I stayed at the Kool Hotel for 5 nights in October and it was delightful. We were met at the airport, transported to the hotel where the manager greeted us by name and welcomed us with cooling drinks. He then took the time to tell use about the hotel, Siem Reap and our options for tours. Our room was large, comfortable and very clean. The Amok fish is a must try in there resturant which has prompt serve. Our guide Chek was amazing and I would highly recommend asking for him. Knowledgeable, kind, and interesting to talk to about the resent history of Cambodia. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2009

Me and my girlfriend spent 4 nights at the Kool hotel as part of our mini tour of SE Asia so we could visit the temples around Angkor Wat.

We booked on-line which was very straight forward and were given a warm reception. Nothing was too much trouble as they gave us refreshments, showed us itineraries and took our bags to the room. We stayed in a fabulous room on the 3rd floor (see pictures). The room was presented to a very high standard and was immaculately cleaned.
The hotel was fairly quiet when we visited so on our one day of relaxing we basically had the pool to ourselves. The pool is maintained well and was always clean with about 10 lounges around it. Reception will give you a pool towel on request.
The food was fantastic and would highly recommend having an evening meal at some stage during your stay. For around $3 you can get an amazing authentic Cambodian dish cooked fresh and served by great staff in a homely kind of environment.
We spent 2 days visiting temples and the hotel aranged our guide and driver. For $50 per day you can have the exclusive use of a driver and guide which helps structure your time at the temples as well as giving you a good background to the history of the temples. The 2 guides we had (Mr T and Kerry Yi) were great; very knowledgable and great company and all are certified by the ministry of tourism. The vehicle on both days was a mini van with good aircon and a constant supply of cold water from the cool box in the boot - all provided free.
The hotel also provides a free shuttle every hour in the evening into the town - which is about a 10 minute drive. The town itself is vibrant with lots of nice bars and restaurants and an evening market.

In summary; a great hotel with 1st class service, providing a more homely atmosphere than you get from the bigger hotels. The only slight downside which I should mention is the lack of a lift. If you are mobile, however this should not be a problem and staff are always happy to help with your bags.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tpcornet12
Melbourne
Reviewed 19 October 2009

I LOVED this place! I travelled around Cambodia (for the second time) staying in various hotels and this was by far the best when looking at value, cleanliness, facilities and service.
Despite seeing pictures on the internet, I was still sooo impressed with the room, it was really lovely! I have even taken home some design ideas :) Also, everything was very clean!
The staff were amazing! They all went out of their way for us each day. I even had spontaneous Apsara dancing lessons in the foyer one evening, so much fun!
My friends and I loved the pool area and spent each evening out there swimming and eating..... I have not yet mentioned how amazingly yummy the food was!
Overall, the friendliness of the staff was the one thing that really made our stay there wonderful. I am looking forward to staying at the Kool again soon.
There are a few tuk tuk driers that hang out at the front- I would recommend Denny, he is really lovely.
I cannot recommend this hotel enough, it was my absolute best experience while staying in Cambodia on each of my trips there.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank MelbourneTravelKel
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 October 2009

The Kool Hotel had a package to pick us up at the airport and included breakfast. They were helpful in helping create an itinerary and organizing our visits to Angkor Wat. All our travel, they upgraded for free to a mini van that was so wonderful as we had AC in the heat and humidity. They helped create a trip and stuck to our budget even allowing us to stick in a massage and a dinner show. The rooms were very clean and well decorated. We had a large room with tv, air conditioning and restroom.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Brisbane
Reviewed 6 October 2009

We arrived from the airport, hot and exhausted. They sat us down, gave us a cold towel, cool drinks, assisted us in organising our itinerary and organising drivers/transfers, etc for our stay with them and checked us in. The rooms are spacious and the bed is soo comfortable! Staff were very friendly and were very willing to go out of their way to help us in anyway they could. Highly recommended and amazing value! The breakfast was also delicious, my boyfriend couldn't get enough of the banana pancakes!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank girlie88
Vancouver
Reviewed 4 October 2009

We too were quite surprised at the location and I was wondering to myself what this place would be like as we drove down the alley. We were greeted with a cold drink (no fruit or cold towel like others?) which was quite refreshing. The staff was friendly and if they didn't speak english, they found someone that could help out.
They helped us make plans for our outings (silk farm, sunrise at Angkor Wat) which was very helpful. We also did 3 tours with Mr. T and enjoyed it.
We experienced similiar problems with the communal computer and of the 2, only one was working. The day before we left, both were up and running.
There was always 2 bottles of complimentary water in the room everyday (a fridge would have been nice) and we liked the decor/appearance of the room.
We found the bed and pillows to be WAY to hard. I have never been on such a hard and uncomforable bed in my whole life. We requested another pillow but were given a much smaller (throw pillow size) version of the larger one.
My boyfriend got a massage and was also disappointed. He had another one in town and was much happier.
We also experienced the same issues when ordering in the dining room (both being brought drinks only one of us had ordered) but we were very happy with the price and service.
Kool hotel was a very nice stay and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Boston, MA
Reviewed 30 September 2009

I loved this place. The location is weird, down a narrow alley off the bus station/airport road, in the middle of a residential area. The upside is that it's very quiet and a short and entertaining $2 tuk-tuk ride to downtown (or a free shuttle if it fits your schedule). The staff is outstanding. I was met with a cold towel, fruit with a chilled fork, and cold tea at check-in. The rooms are spacious and well-appointed. Bathrooms are ok. Air conditioning in my room was inadequate for me, but the staff brought me a fan immediately, and that did the trick just fine. No air conditioning in the public areas of the hotel that I could sense. No elevator. Free but slow internet connection and dvd player in the room. Wonderful breakfast and terrific, cheap ($2.50 per entree) Khmer food in the restaurant. Decent pool. Excellent value, at around $45 for the biggest room. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo