“Hotel with a heart and smile”
Review of The Kool Hotel

The Kool Hotel
Ranked #191 of 342 Hotels in Siem Reap
Singapore, Singapore
“Hotel with a heart and smile”
Reviewed 29 November 2009

Just back after a 4 nite stay in Nov09. The Kool was rated #2 when I left, so having enjoyed a great experience, it is sad to see it slip to #3 when I return home. But the management can take heart that the other top hotels charge multiple times more, so being in the top 3 is already a testament to their ability to deliver. Sothy and his team are ever so eager to please and greet you warmly everytime (and you get the feeling that they do recognise you and are not just greeting you blindly).

Not having time to research my trip before arrival, I emailed to ask for help in planning the itinerary, and the GM Nat was prompt in his responses and accommodating with my requested changes. Everything was made very easy upon arrival, and Sothy made it a point to confirm my preferances over the next few days. There are also a couple of other staff who seem to be under training while studying, and they are equally promising and forthcoming with their assistance whenever possible.

The room is roomy and tastefully decorated. The restaurant serves up yummy Amok and BBQ beef, and breakfasts are substantial enough to last you through lunch.

No doubt it is not 5 star, ie, no lift, no fitness room, no opulent surroundings and also not in the pub street area. But there are so many things going for it - comfortable room, cosy environment, quick & cheap transport readily available (plus the free shuttle to town in the evenings), and most of all, committed staff and great hospitality. For the price you pay, I'd say it is definitely value for money.

If there are any areas of improvement I can suggest to help them improve their ratings, here's a couple:
- while Sothy is a great manager, he cannot be available all the time. There was some confusion one morning when Sothy was not available and the staff did not know of my planned schedule. And since guests are increasing with the peak season, it would be better to have some backup with staff who are more conversant in English and aware of guests arrangements.

- the guide, who perhaps was not their usual cos he told me it was only his 3rd time cooperating with the hotel, was not very good. Our trip to the lake was his 1st in 2 years and he was not aware that we had to transfer to a small boat to do the flooded forest and that there was a temple that we could visit along the way. A few times at the temples he would asked me to go up the tower myself and only provide a brief when I come back down. So if I did not observe something before, I would have to imagine what he was talking about or climb up again to see it. He also told me he is teaching at a private school in the late afternoon, so was hinting that we need to hurry up at some places, even though I had contracted for a full day of guide service. On the last day at Angkor Wat, when I noted other guides stopping at some place to provide commentary, I had to ask him whether there was any story to hear. Granted it is difficult to screen guides, but after getting such good dedicated service everywhere else at the hotel (even their regular tuk tuk drivers are good!), it is a bummer to be letdown by a less than dedicated guide.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank zenani

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2009

Spent 4 nights. You are located about 5 minutes from downtown. It costs 2 to 3$ US for a Tuk Tuk to get to the action. But the Action is one street block. So no need to stay near it. The key to Siem Reap is being comfortable after a full day of seeing temples. Be sure to eat breakfast at the hotel every morning, its a 5 star quality. Yes the menu they give you is all free with your stay. Ridiculous amount of choices.

Management receives our highest praise. All smiles, all the time. We wanted to enjoy the pool one day. We asked for a fesh fruit platter, a bottle of Vodka and some red bull. we were travelling with another couple and we wanted to relax. 30 minutes later, the order arrives. " Sorry sir for the delay, I got a ticket from the police while getting your order". They went out to purchase what we wanted and charged us the exact amount paid. 10$ for a bottle of Absolute which is what I had seen it at at the convenience store.

Watch for the smiling gardener. When you get into the pool and sit by the water jets, he scares the crap out of you by turning everything on. A pure classic. He's about 17 years old, always smiling with a hat on. Great guy, made us laugh every day.

Stay here. Trust me. Better than the Hilton in Phuket at 5 times the price.

1 Thank desser99
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 22 November 2009

The rooms are great looking and very comfortable, the people are lovely and the pool is awesome after a hot day touring the ruins. The breakfasts are also very tasty The manager and staff will do anything to make your stay pleasant and enjoyable. I love this place and we will go back on day!

With that said, I used PayPal to make a reservation and it turned out to be a big problem. I never got a receipt and the final amount billed was much more than I was charged. I guess PayPal charges lots of fees (but i never saw them 'cause I never got a receipt). As well, the hotel has a policy that they need the payment to guarantee the reservation and the payment didn't get there in time (It took like three days for the money to be sent). Anyhow, the hotel helped me and was patient, and I ended up getting a refund from PayPal (again with no receipt), and avoiding the crazy fees. I highly recommend this hotel, and please do not let this stop you from going, but try to reserve without using PayPal.

Brisbane
Reviewed 19 November 2009

We have just returned after travelling throught Cambodie. Sothy, the reception manager has made Siem Reap a very special place. Nothing is too much trouble. You can trust him to take care of any sightseeing needs, confirm airflights etc. All done with the biggest smile, friendly and efficient manner. Would love to take him back to Australia to train staff there.

The Hotel is absolutely spotless, rooms large, airconditioning is quiet and the pool is sparkling clean. The breakfast was great, and included in tariff, unusual for Cambodia.

The Fish Amok is the best I found in all Cambodia.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 19 November 2009

An excellent hotel with helpful staff and nice rooms. Definately let them organise transport and tours for you. It will make your stay much more hassle-free and pleasant.

• Stayed May 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 November 2009

This was one of the best places I have stayed. After traveling from Bangkok to Siem Reap via road it was so nice to see this place. The hotel is immaculate, the staff are very friendly and sit you down with a cold towel, a drink and a map of Siem Reap when you arrive to show you how to get around the city and some places of interest. If you are going to Siem Reap you MUST stay here!

Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
Mountain View, California
Reviewed 16 November 2009

Like many other travelers who written reviews for this hotel, I am thoroughly impressed by many aspects of the hotel, from the staff to the food to the attention to details. First of all, my arrival is delayed by one day due to work issue, but the hotel was kind enough to make the shift for me. Then, when I found out that I need to get transportation from Phnom Penh airport to their hotel at 5:00 pm, Nat, the manager, kindly arranged a taxi for me quickly. When I arrived at the hotel, 3 staff was waiting for me. I feel very welcome and taken care of.

The room was well set-up, with high tech fixtures like remote control for the lights, so I don't have to get out of the bed in order to switch on the lights. Little details like this make a difference.

During the 3-day stay at the hotel, the staff made suggestions for me to tour around, helped me find the NGO office that I was supposed to visit, prepared my morning taxi-ride back to Phnom Penh airport. All in all, just unbeatable services. I am very grateful for their hospitality, which is the biggest part of making this trip wonderful. Thank you Kool hotel!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo