“Good experience but fell far from rxpectatilns”
Review of The Kool Hotel

The Kool Hotel
Ranked #200 of 356 Hotels in Siem Reap
Usedom, Germany
“Good experience but fell far from rxpectatilns”
Reviewed 15 December 2009

PROS
- Polite staff (but not exceptional)
- Well decorated
- Good restaurant
- Love the soap dispensers
- Clean

CONS
- Far from town
- Construction next door starts at 7 am
- I paid for a deluxe room and it was not worth the extra cost (for my money I got a gorgeous view of a dilapidated tin roof, construction noise compounding a self inflicted hangover headache at 7 am, and an air conditioner that could not handle cooling such a large room)
- No safe and no fridge in room

1 Thank Pifflove
reachy, Owner at The Kool Hotel, responded to this review, 1 January 2010
Thank you for your reviews which will help us to improve our services to provide a better experience our guests.

-We are not steps away from the tourist centre of the town 'the Old Market' area but only less than 5 mins by tuk tuk or we also offer nightly 3 times complimentary shuttle van service for our guests to the Old Market area. There are also 3 times pick-up from the Old Market area nightly. One good thing about not being right in the middle of the tourist district or pub street is that our place is relatively quiet.

- Siem Reap is a growing tourist town and there are lots of construction through out the town. We are fortunate to be in a settled residential area. Our neighbour had done some refurbishment and in Cambodia in general people start thier work early. However, now the construction is complete and the noise is very low or no noise at all. We never receive any comments about noise from guests anymore.

-There might be a small misunderstanding about the room type, our standard room is called Apsara Deluxe and our more premium room is called Indra Grandeur. Our standard room has no fridge nor safe box ( unless requested) however the guest could deposit their valuables at the safe located at our reception area. Fridge and safe is also available in our standard room upon request without extra charge. In general, upon arrival, guests will be explained about our hotel and room facility

- We have to accept that some of our rooms do not face to pool or green garden or Siem Reap town view. Guests could make a request for preferred rooms or change the room to the room with view and we will try our best to accommodate. Please do not hesitate to let us know.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
Singapore
Reviewed 15 December 2009

We are a family of 4 and booked our accommodation at the Kool Hotel based on our friends' good recommendation when their family visited Angkor early this year.

We really enjoyed our stay here. Personally it was our favorite hotel in our Asia trip. Although the hotel itself is pretty small with only around 20 rooms, it’s very charming with nice designs all over the premises (traditional and modern).

The staff at the Kool hotel make this place very special as they treated us like friends not only paying guests. If you are heading to Siem Reap, this is a hotel you shouldn’t miss.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
LA
Reviewed 14 December 2009

Picked up from the airport by the hotel (free) and welcomed by the reception manager, Sothy who is really know what it means by customer service excellence. My stay at the Kool Hotel is a stay to remember. The hotel is very charming with modern and traditional decoration. The staff are very kind and keen to help. The room is large and clean. Also booked my temple tours with the hotel and it was great as the price was very reasonable comparing to those travel agents or tuk tuks outside.

The hotel is not far from town and is in a quiet residential area so it 's a plus for me who has a problem with sleeping. The hotel also provides free transfer to the Old market (tourist area) nightly or you could use many tuk tuks who always hang around in front of the hotel for only $1 or $2 to town. Do try dinner at Abacus Restaurant close to the hotel, thier food is to die for. All thumbs up!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 December 2009

We were looking for a good mid range hotel, and The Kool Hotel nailed it. We stayed for 2 nights and paid about $50 per night for a double room.

The standout for me was the service... the reception managers are amazing - they are polite, friendly, trustworthy and helpful. A couple examples, the reception manager overheard a conversation we were having about visitng Angkor Wat and joined the conversation. He provided all the options...pros and cons in perfect english and preceded to organise the full day for us. Example, my poor girlfriend was sick and when the reception manager (Sothy I think his name is) found out he bent over backwards to organise medication and offered assistance if things got worse.

The rooms are clean and comfortable, with TV's, warm water, comfortable beds - exaclty what you would expect from $50US a night accomodation. After a long day at the temple the small swiming pool is a perfect place to cool down...you can also order booze and food for around the pool.

I got a massage at the hotel and while it wasn't anything special it was down in the convenience of our room and wasn't too expensive.

This place is highly recommended if you are in the $30-80 range.

The only downside is that it is a bit of a walk to town. However, to combat this the hotel offers free shuttle buses at night from 7-9pm.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank TheHunterTravel
Birmingham, UK
Reviewed 13 December 2009

The hotel is a little way out of town, although the main area can be reached by tuk tuk ($2) or by the free minibus service the hotel offers in the evening, although the last one back departs at a rather early 9pm.

Our room (the least expensive available) was clean and spacious, although as with many hotels in Southeast Asia the bed was far too hard for our liking. Also, whilst the room had remote control lighting and air-conditioning, it did not have a fridge or a safe. The decor of the rooms is very nice though, as it is throughout the hotel.

The management and staff are very friendly, although the fixed price they have for the standard tuk-tuk day tour to Angkor Wat ($15) is $5 higher than the fee we agreed with the tuk-tuk drivers who wait outside the hotel gates i.e. if you organise this through the hotel they take a cut. The management are quite keen on selling you these trips, and when we arrived (in the evening after a long bus journey) we were given a 20-minute "briefing" about tours etc. to Ankgor Wat when we would rather have gone straight to the room.

The restaurant food was pretty good, other than the breakfasts which were pretty bad; we tried most of the things on the breakfast menu over the four days we were there: e.g. a cinnamon bagel = a sweetbread bun.

The pool area is very pleasant (perhaps the best part of the hotel) and the pool seems clean and well-maintained.

One minor complaint is that if you want a bottle of water/soft drink/beer, from the fridge in reception the hotel charges very inflated prices for them.

In summary, our experiences here were mixed - I certainly think the hotel has potential, but I do not think it is quite as good as some other reviews suggest.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Parkus
Sydney
Reviewed 12 December 2009

I booked a room at this hotel based on many great reviews on serveral websites. Some of my friends also just came back from thier Indochina tours and stayed at the Kool Hotel last month. They said I MUST stay here and it's true, everything was great, my room was nicely decorated and very clean, the pool was well-maintained and just great relaxing place after your long day at temples. The staff were one of the most charming people I ever met. They could help you out with all requests and tours. I felt very welcomed. Highly recommended and definitely will come back again next time!

PS, thank you Sothy and his lovely team for making my trip to Siem Reap just perfect!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
Singapore
Reviewed 12 December 2009

Arrived in Siem Reap early in the morning at 7am. The hotel driver picked me up free of charge (make a request by emailing the hotel staff). My room wasn't ready for check in but the staff gracefully gave me a spare room for the morning to put my luggage, take a shower and catch up on some sleep until my room was ready at 12pm.

The service is excellent! Welcome drinks on arrival and they even gave me a map and spent 10 minutes showing me where to go in Siem Reap, what to see and do. Sothi (the guy at reception) even gave me his mobile phone number so I could call him whenever I needed anything.

Rooms were big, clean and modern. I loved the 5 powerpoints in the room which came with international multi-plug adapters so you could charge your phone, camera etc.. aircon, shower were strong and worked perfectly. The breakfast menu had a big variety of local Khmer and western food. Fast service too!

Pool was clean, free broadband internet available (fast) and the staff always had a nice welcome smile whenever you came back to the hotel after a long day of travelling and exploring Angkor Wat.

*dislike* the noisy construction site next door (they're building a Korean guest house) which started around 9am - 6pm. If you like to sleep in, ask for a room facing AWAY from the construction next door.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple