“Five Days in Angkor with Ta Som Guesthouse!”
Review of Ta Som Guesthouse

Ta Som Guesthouse
Ranked #190 of 353 Hotels in Siem Reap
Quezon City, Philippines
“Five Days in Angkor with Ta Som Guesthouse!”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Chose Ta Som guesthouse from reviews at Tripadvisor. The replies of Mr. Meng were fast, and so I got a tour of the Angkor Archaeological Park plus Beng Mealea, Koh Ker, and the star, Prasat Preah Vihear. The room costs a very ok 12 USD! When I got to Siem Reap International Airport, I was picked up as agreed upon, and when I got into the hotel, I was brought to a triple room since my single room was still occupied. I ended up getting what was essentially a room upgrade at no extra cost! It was a spacious room with sheer curtains and three beds. The air conditioning was rather slow, though. The bathroom is clean and basic, with complimentary soap and shampoo and two large towels, besides the ones shaped into lotus blossoms on each bed. Since my flight is a late-night one from Manila, I had really nothing to do except to sleep and rest. Upon waking up, I opened the curtains and realized I was really in a foreign land - I saw the Wat Kasararam across the street with its curved finials and golden roofs. Rooms facing the National road number 6 will most likely have this stunning view. Room service was ok. The breakfast was yummy and filling, and, given the fact that it comes with the room rate, a big bonus! The fruit serving is very fresh - I particularly liked the green banana which was very sweet (I thought they served me an under-ripe banana) The French baguette is a particularly classy feature. The hotel has a small restaurant with good meals at low prices.

The hotel was clean all throughout, and I followed the Cambodian house rules of leaving footwear at the door. There was a small internet shop, though I surfed through my fone instead. At the ground floor was a small cabinet case of Cambodian wood and bronze statuettes and conical hats for sale. Nearby is a gasoline station with a convenience store, which was very convenient.

The tours were well organized. I liked my tour guide Mr. Sophan, who had interesting insights into Cambodian life, culture and history. Was able to see the major sights plus far away temples like the amazing Preah Vihear. After my tour and a filling dinner, I received from the staff a krama (Cambodian scarf) as a token of appreciation. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Ta Som Guesthouse. Traveled solo, Nov 21-26, 2013

Room Tip: Take rooms facing the road (the hotel is recessed from the road so noise isn't a problem) so you...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Ermaximum

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 March 2014

ta som guesthouse was a great choice for a few days in siem reap! the staff were very friendly and helpful. it was great to be able to have breakfast there too. they served welcome drinks and fruit which was a really nice touch. airport pickup made it an excellent deal. would absolutely recommend. wifi worked very well also.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
malaysia
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We paid 34usd for 2 nights stay. if though its budget guesthouse, they did served us with welcome drinks and fresh fruits. such a huge rooms and very comfortable bed. they provide tour to Angkor and many places. awesome breakfast. tuk2 from guesthouse to night market just 1usd. they also provide bicycle rental. fully recommended!

Room Tip: I'm happy with my room at level 1.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed for 4 nights - took the package. Aside from the the reasonable package rates, the tour guide, driver & staff were all accommodating and helpful. I have recommended this to a friend and she has positive feedback as well.

Room Tip: Maybe rooms in the higher floor are quieter than those on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
vancouver
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Travelling for 2 months in southeast asia. What I liked about this place is that it was fairly cheap and included a nice breakfast. Room rates are different depending on whether you want just a fan, airconditioning, hot water etc.The room was clean. I also liked the fact that there was a mini mart nearby, and it was just a 15 minute walk to the Pub Street area. But remember that this is a budget place, and not a big, fancy hotel.

Advice: I used their service to book a dinner-dance package, hire a tuktuk for the day ($15) to tour Angkor, and to book a bus ticket to Phnom Penh. Don't rent a bicycle from them. There's a place next door that is only $1 for the whole day.

Room Tip: Your price will vary depending on whether you want airconditioning, hot showers etc. But this is typ...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I and my wife was stay at Tasom Guest House for 3nights and we have a good sleep, the breakfast is good,the Reception at the front desk name Hull"Ken"are very polite and helpful, the location in the center of the town and around the guesthouse also have Mini mart, ATM and many restaurant around there. the price is ok, It is good experience in Siem Reap,
I will stay that place again in next time.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

My self, my wife and my mum stayed here for 3 days to tour Angkor wat. Our time with ta som was great and the staff was as attentive as any I've had at a guesthouse. This is not the Hilton, but quite nice for a guest house in SE Asia. There is a significant difference in the quality of rooms at different rates. The included breakfast was very good and included several combinations of eggs, fruit and bread.
Ken, one of the desk staff was a pleasure to meet and get to know in my down time between visits to the temples. A super friendly and helpful guy.
For people that like to keep in shape while they travel, the balconies above the front lobby have concrete railings; a nice place to hang a suspension system.
We also booked our 3 day tour through the guesthouse. $25 a day for 3 people. Tour guides can be hired at many of the major temples but the tour does not include one.

Stayed February 2014