“READ, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!”

Ponloue Angkor Siem Reap Villa
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Siem Reap
Ponloue Angkor Siem Reap Villa
Ranked #413 of 530 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Okay

A tuc tuc driver named wanton took us to ponloue after picking us up from the bus station.

We booked 3 nights in a double room, but we only stayed 2.

Apart from no WiFi, horrible breakfast, ignorant and creepy staff, young rough looking tuc tuc drivers hanging around the entrance all day and night the straw that made us leave was when we returned from our visit to the temples to find a necklace had had been taken from within one of our bags. Actually from within our stuff, so who ever took it had a good look through our things.

I confronted the manager who didn't say anything, he basically shrugged it off. He said nobody had been in the room, even though we had clean towels and beds made. (I had asked on check in that nobody is to visit our room)

While waiting in the lobby for more answers I spoke to a couple of other guests I was sat with who also had stories of their own about the strange staff.

After an hour the manager came to me and asked my partner and i to leave and find another hotel as people were getting worried about their belongings (the 2 people i had spoken to) and it was basically my fault the necklace was stolen.

He would not refund any money for the 2 nights we had there and didn't care in the slightest about the stolen necklace.
He also refused to give me the contact details of the owner so hopefully he/she will see this and sort the place out.

Believe the terrible reviews about ponloue villa and avoid it.

Worst accomodation I've ever experienced from start to finish.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank mxr63

Reviewed 7 January 2013

Bottom line: would we stay here again? No, I don't think so. In a small town with few guesthouses, this hotel would do fine, but in Siem Reap, surely there must be better places.

Not that there is much wrong with this hotel. For $20 we had a clean twin, air-con (not needed in January), tv, fridge, hot water, the works. And all that in an excellent location.

But... the staff seemed to think of their job and their guests as their lot in life and nothing more, something inevitable that they somehow had to put up with. They were loud when moving through the corridors, even early in the morning, and non-communicative towards the guests. We have seen staff with a very different attitude in Cambodia!

By the way, others have mentioned people trying their door. We were in our room late one morning, and staff entered without so much as knocking.

On a positive note: when the laundry was returned, not a single item of clothing was missing (see earlier reviews).

Another thing we weren't entirely happy with: the wifi was spotty at times, and non-existent at night. At first, we accepted explanations of 'a problem', but it became a pattern. Not all hotels have these 'problems', and other hotels in Siem Reap do have good internet.

So would we stay here again? Nooo.... better try somewhere else.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2012

We visited here in February 2011 and came back in October 2012 and stayed full 10 days!
The place is a good value for the money, convenient location and basic but clean room. We opted for fan room as we don't like a/c so much... The staff was friendly and accommodating and if and when we come again, we would certainly stay at Ponloue Angkor Siem reap Villa again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2012

This was propably a beautiful hotel a few years back. Now it's been left falling apart and it shows in details. The hose for my shower was only 1 meter long, so I had to crouch for shower. There's an 11-year girl, who works a lot. If you ask something from the men staff, like can I get some soap to my room, they use the young girl for this. She also serves the whole breakfast, while guys are playing with their iPads... Try Tanei guest house around the corner. Has a pool, frienly staff and good atmosphere and pay less.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 September 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this place as it was recommended by a blogger. It's 15usd per night and thought that was cheap, then I realized that's pretty much the goon rate for inns around that area anyway (it's not a hotel!)

I was picked up from airport for free and that was a good deal (again other inns provide the same service) and chhong who is looking after the inn (family business) welcomed me from airport too and gave me an overview of the Angkor complex for the next day's trip.

The room is ordinary which is really ok, save for the fact that someone forgot to latch the window (found out the next day) so I had a sleepless night and the mozzies were on a bloodfest. The next night was much better, except I woke up sweating to learn that there was no electricity. Apparently their generator couldn't be up all night and all morning so they had to turn it off around 8. That was ok, but then I was told there was no free breakfast that day (their stoves were running on electricity??)

So all in all, it was okay, but there are other choices around pub st area which could be better... But Siem reap isn't exactly a place you'd come back again to, so I guess I won't find out.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Our tuk tuk brought us here after we told him we wanted to stay close to the old market and pub street. It's literally across the street room the Old Market and about a block away from Pub Street. We paid $23 for a triple room. It reminded me of a log cabin- kind of dark and gloomy. Clean room but the shower leaked, the wifi was choppy, there were mosquitoes but no nets, a weird creature that kept croaking in our room, and no phones in the room. Not as many complaints about the room as there are about the staff. I asked twice to use the phone in front to phone a tour agency and they said they didn't have any credit on the land line.. which doesn't even make sense. Also the guy was texting on his cell phone when I asked. They wouldn't help us book a tour to see Angkor Wat and gave us no helpful information whatsoever. If you just want a good location with decent room quality and don't care about service , then book here. We left after the first night and booked at a hotel 10 times better (Parklane hotel) down the road- same price for the room with 4 star hotel quality everything.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 February 2012

we spent only one night in this guesthouse. It was quire ok - they even have bathtubs in the rooms. I had some problem with the staff. As we were going to sihanoukville the next day in the evening, we booked the room for another day to have a shower and leave the luggage. The receptionist didn't wanted to hand us the ac controller. He said that we are using too much water and energy. A little problem, but it somewhat changed our opinion.

• Stayed: February 2012