“Not the best hotel (but not the worst)”

Ponloue Angkor Siem Reap Villa
Ponloue Angkor Siem Reap Villa
Ranked #387 of 485 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Helsinki, Finland
“Not the best hotel (but not the worst)”
Reviewed 14 January 2010

Ponloue Ankor is a basic backpacker hotel in a very good location in Siem Reap. The room we got for 14 USD (1 USD discount?) was a medium sized double bed room with airconditioning and without windows.

It was a clean and ok room but the air-quality wasn't too good. The warm-water was ok but showering (over 2 min) created a flood in the bathroom. Most of the lamps didnt work and there were nasty electricity cables hanging out of the wall. The breakfast was very basic - one piece of bread and one fried egg - but still better than nothing.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Japan
Reviewed 3 January 2010

The room was quite nice overall and it was fairly clean for the most part, although the shower head was a bit dirty. I paid $10 for a reasonably big room with a double bed and a fan ($2 more for air-con). They picked me up from the airport for free but were a little pushy about getting me to use their tuk-tuk services, etc. to look around the temple. In retrospect, they weren't terribly overpriced - they may have been charging roughly the going rate, actually - but I was a little irritated at having to listen to them complain when I decided to go with someone else. Also, on the last night, the water stopped completely in my room. It had been fine up until that point with nice, warm showers but it was pretty rough when the water suddenly stopped altogether. The free breakfast was just a baguette with egg or jam and coffee but you couldn't really expect too much for $10 a night. They arranged my bus to Bangkok and it was comfortable and air conditioned. I got no information whatsoever at the border which made things rather confusing. The border staff didn't speak a word of any language to me. Still, once through the formalities, someone rounded me up to go to the next mini-van and it was all OK. The roads have been fixed so it's a good cheap way to travel from Siem Reap to Thailand.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
Sydney, Aus
Reviewed 5 December 2009

Used this as a stand-in between the hotel I'd stayed in for a week with a friend and another I was going to for my last 2 nights in Cambodia. I got the impression I was the only guest as I didn't see anyone else but didn't find anything wrong with this hotel. It was clean and comfortable and the staff member on reception was friendly. The breakfast was as expected - omelette and baguette, but fine! Great location.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
Toronto Canada
Reviewed 27 November 2009

If you are looking for a nice, clean, affordable place in Siem Reap that is walking distance to the market and shops, this is a great villa to stay at. The staff are very helpful and speak English well. They picked us up at the airport and assisted with tours and recommended places to go. I walked everywhere and felt safe and welcomed at this Villa. A free breakfast was included and it was great to have internet access. Great spot for people on a budget and many NGO staff stay here while working in Cambodia.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 26 November 2009

We stayed here on our first night in Siem Reap. The room that we stayed in is rather dingy, the toilet paper were wet and dried and it looked that they haven't been used in a long time together with the toothbrush, shampoo and soap. It's a good thing we always bring our own toiletries.

The room was priced at $18.00, I mean we've seen much better rooms for less. The room has a/c, a broken mini ref, a hot shower and cable tv.

The only thing that I like there is when I saw the beautiful sunrise outside its door. It was magnificent like a dream.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple