“Very bad service”

Ponloue Angkor Siem Reap Villa
Ponloue Angkor Siem Reap Villa
Ranked #403 of 507 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 February 2011

I was with a friend travelling in Cambodia and it was really busy. we were looking for nice hostel but our tuk tuk driver told us every time that the hostels are fully booked. The last hotel was Ponloue. We had a couple of bad experience with this hotel. My friend dropped their laundry and we lost two clothes. They told us that we are doing that in every hostel... if we are doing that than my backpack will be empty... so no. Be aware of this people because we paid for our rooms and at the end they told us that we did't paid. They are really scary and bad. So get always a receipt.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 January 2011

This independent hotel like many cheapo’s is staffed by skinny 20-somethings who do everything from carry bags, sweep floors to cooking breakfast. It wasn’t too shady nor did we find any pinhole cameras in the bathroom.

Centrally located near Siem Reap’s main market & restaurant area, this is certainly backpacker quality in looks & feel. At 80,000 Cambodian Riel’s or $20USD for 3 people including a small breakfast & dial-up internet, u get what u give but ease any hip pocket pain.

This room reminded us of a ship’s cabin with the huge amount of teak used to cover the walls & floor or a colourful harem with the long coloured curtains, personally I like harems. These aren’t complaints as this was much preferable to stained concrete & greys in other cheap places. The room had plenty of space with high ceilings, aircon, hot water, pink bathroom decor with mini soaps, toothbrush & paste, 51 cm TV with satellite channels.

There looks to be a late night mini-mart a few doors down as well as some food stands that are popular with locals for selling boiled ox tongue & offal! KFC is on the same street about 15 mins walk. Plenty of tuk-tuk drivers sitting around to hire as day guides to the temples, we spoke to many & argued with all.

Be mindful that room keys are expected to be left at the reception desk so hide all the good stuff away.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank The_Pale_Ridah
Reviewed 14 January 2010

Ponloue Ankor is a basic backpacker hotel in a very good location in Siem Reap. The room we got for 14 USD (1 USD discount?) was a medium sized double bed room with airconditioning and without windows.

It was a clean and ok room but the air-quality wasn't too good. The warm-water was ok but showering (over 2 min) created a flood in the bathroom. Most of the lamps didnt work and there were nasty electricity cables hanging out of the wall. The breakfast was very basic - one piece of bread and one fried egg - but still better than nothing.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2010

The room was quite nice overall and it was fairly clean for the most part, although the shower head was a bit dirty. I paid $10 for a reasonably big room with a double bed and a fan ($2 more for air-con). They picked me up from the airport for free but were a little pushy about getting me to use their tuk-tuk services, etc. to look around the temple. In retrospect, they weren't terribly overpriced - they may have been charging roughly the going rate, actually - but I was a little irritated at having to listen to them complain when I decided to go with someone else. Also, on the last night, the water stopped completely in my room. It had been fine up until that point with nice, warm showers but it was pretty rough when the water suddenly stopped altogether. The free breakfast was just a baguette with egg or jam and coffee but you couldn't really expect too much for $10 a night. They arranged my bus to Bangkok and it was comfortable and air conditioned. I got no information whatsoever at the border which made things rather confusing. The border staff didn't speak a word of any language to me. Still, once through the formalities, someone rounded me up to go to the next mini-van and it was all OK. The roads have been fixed so it's a good cheap way to travel from Siem Reap to Thailand.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 December 2009

Used this as a stand-in between the hotel I'd stayed in for a week with a friend and another I was going to for my last 2 nights in Cambodia. I got the impression I was the only guest as I didn't see anyone else but didn't find anything wrong with this hotel. It was clean and comfortable and the staff member on reception was friendly. The breakfast was as expected - omelette and baguette, but fine! Great location.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 November 2009

If you are looking for a nice, clean, affordable place in Siem Reap that is walking distance to the market and shops, this is a great villa to stay at. The staff are very helpful and speak English well. They picked us up at the airport and assisted with tours and recommended places to go. I walked everywhere and felt safe and welcomed at this Villa. A free breakfast was included and it was great to have internet access. Great spot for people on a budget and many NGO staff stay here while working in Cambodia.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 November 2009

We stayed here on our first night in Siem Reap. The room that we stayed in is rather dingy, the toilet paper were wet and dried and it looked that they haven't been used in a long time together with the toothbrush, shampoo and soap. It's a good thing we always bring our own toiletries.

The room was priced at $18.00, I mean we've seen much better rooms for less. The room has a/c, a broken mini ref, a hot shower and cable tv.

The only thing that I like there is when I saw the beautiful sunrise outside its door. It was magnificent like a dream.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple