“Beautiful garden villa oasis”

Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort
Ranked #55 of 338 Hotels in Siem Reap
Melbourne, Australia
“Beautiful garden villa oasis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

Mr Hak speaks great english and will help with all your needs. The resort is peaceful, quiet and the rooms are beautiful. The pool is great and the pool side menu is fantastic. The resort is within walking distance to centre of town and all Tuk Tuk drivers knew it for the late night ride return back.

Room Tip: Ive stayed multiple times in different rooms and they are all good.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fremantle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

We stayed at this delightful boutique hotel for 5 nights and enjoyed every moment. All of the hospitality team were warm and welcoming and for us, epitomised the very essence of Khmer culture. Tours and tuk-tuk rides organised for us were first class; and the bus/airport transfers provided free of charge were very much appreciated.The hotel is in a great location - a quiet oasis only 10 minutes walk away from the centre of Siem Riep - and is very well managed and maintained. We highly recommend this hotel as a base for both exploration and relaxation.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Phnom Penh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

I and my girl friend stayed 2 nights at the hotel on road national No 6 on the Khmer New Year and it is so noisy and busy then I had remove to Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort for 2 nights more, it is so peaceful and quiet.
It takes about 10 minutes walking to pub street where you can find every things ( Restaurant, Bar and night market also ). The garden and the pool are very nice as it is so hot about 40 degree and the rooms have A/C working very well and the fan, especially, I and my girl friend can sit on the private balcony with 2 comfortable armchairs over looking the beautiful garden and hear the sound of the bird in the evening every where.

For the breakfast, it is so tasty and fresh, they start from 6:30 am to 10:00 am, even I am a little bit late, but I still have, for lunch and dinner it is reasonable price as well.

I definitely stay this hotel again if I come back to Siem Reap.

Tang Bunna, Phnom Penh ( Cambodia )

Room Tip: I prefer up stair room
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

My friend and I stayed at Sonalong Village for 10 nights. The hotel was comfortable and very quite considering we were only a 10 minute walk to the main part of town. The manager, Mr Hak, spoke fantastic English and was very helpful. He organised 3 days of private tours for us in an air-conditioned car (which was appreciated when it's 30-40 degrees every day!) and happily helped us fix up our flights when Vietnam Airlines messed us up.

Our room was plain and simple which was fine for us and it was cleaned daily. The only complaint I have is that the pillows were very thick and firm and hurt my neck and the cleaner didn't pay much attention to the mirrors as we had toothpaste on ours since before our arrival. Overall their customer service was fantastic, the rooms were nice and the grounds were beautiful. If I went back to Siem Reap I'd say there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Samantha_June
Sonalong V, Manager at Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Thank you so much SAMANTHA and AMANDA for your time to write a review about our resort to TripAdvisor. I am sorry for my housekeeping didn't pay attention about the tooth past, the reason is you used yours that she didn't replace the new one very day, sometimes I have passengers like you, they used their own.
On be half of Sonalong Boutique Village would like to express my deep thankfulness for your 10 nights stayed with us and it is very useful for the future business after we see your review, so that we can improve our services for the next clients.

CHHAY HAK
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

Mr Hak, whom I've known for years, is a first-class manager. With him in charge, the smooth running of the hotel is guaranteed.
Everything about this hotel is exemplary. The room was luxurious and a real bargain for 48 dollars; the small pool is well maintained; the garden - the whole place is a tropical garden - is beautiful; the food and service are good.
Siem Reap town centre is a 15-minute walk away, or a one-dollar tuk-tuk ride.
Much better, I think, to stay in this small friendly hotel than in one of the expensive 'monster' hotels.

Room Tip: All the rooms have extensive balconies, but an upstairs balcony is best. So choose an upstairs room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much KEVIN for your keep coming to Cambodia and strongly support stay with us.
Your review is very useful for our future business ( even it is positive or negative ) we are pleased to see you and your girl friend again and let us have a chance to serve.

HAK
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

We booked into the Sonalong for 5 nights at a cost of $269.79, so roughly $50 a night. The rooms are built in fours with two rooms being on the bottom and then two directly over them. Each has a sitting area, deck or balcony, out front with two comfortable swing chairs.

The location of the hotel is a short 10-15 minute walk or 5 minute tuk tuk drive (don't pay more than $1) to Pub Street and set away from the hustle and bustle.

The room itself was comfortable, having a king size bed, AC, older model tv but with some watchable channels, safe and fridge stocked with your usual minibar items. What I will mention about the minibar is that unlike many hotels that overcharge for an items such as a beer, the Sonalong did no such thing and their prices were quite reasonable. I'd say perhaps a few cents more than picking it up yourself at a corner store (which I usually do) but in general, very well priced.

The pool was clean and welcoming, fresh towels set out every morning for use by the patrons. The grounds themselves are beautiful as well and very well cared for. Trees, flowers, fish ponds, etc. The entire grounds are fumigated every Monday to keep the bugs at bay.

The hotel restaurant served good Thai food. The western dishes could use improvement. Service was always prompt and hotel staff always friendly. The hotel manager, Mr. Hak, was always available should anyone have any concerns.

Mr. Choi picked us up at the bus stop and drove us in comfort to the hotel. He also proved to be an excellent tour guide when we visited Angkor and the surrounding area. Very kind and intelligent man who speaks good english.

The Sonalong proved to be a very comfortable, reasonably priced hotel and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear SIR and MADAM, I would like to say thank you for your valued time to write the review, on be half of Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort, I am the manager will take note your review about the bathroom ( now the bathroom is under improvement ), hopefully, it will finish at the end of May and it will be the modern bathroom.
We expect to see both of you again.

HAK
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

Over the Easter break (April 2012) we had the priviledge of visiting Siem Reap. Our tour was organised by Wide Eyed Tours in Hanoi, Vietnam. It was an all inclusive package deal including air fares from Saigon, Sonalong accomodation, a driver, car and a tour guide for 2 days. We were met at the Air Port by the Driver (Joy), who was on time, courteous, polite, well spoken and very informative. We arrived at Sonalong Boutique Village and were greated by Mr Hak, the owner. He welcomed us with a cool drink, he gave us a full briefing confirming the pre arranged Itinerary, and had his staff escort us to the room. Appart from making a copy of our passports, there were no other complicated forms etc.

My first impression was that it is smaller than the impression I got from their web site, but nonetheless, it is very cosy, friendly, clean and located only a few minutes walk from the main markets, or a $1 ride in a Tuk Tuk.

I had a small issue with the safe in my room, and as there are no phones in the rooms, I strolled up to reception, the young man in attendance immediately followed me to my room and rectified the problem immediately, and waited while I ran through the process to ensure all was good.

The following day the driver and guide were ready waiting for us at the designated time. The Guide (Mr Soekhoum) and Joy took us to the Temples Park for our Saturday tour. The Guide was very knowledgable and we were well informed to say the least. We became all templed out by mid afternoon, so he took us to another location that was not on our itinerary, which was the very sad Killing Fields. I was impressed that they should take us to a non itinerised location without any problems at all.

On day 2, we were up and ready to travel out to Angkor Wat for the morning sunrise. The Guide took us to a good vantage point to view the sunrise. After which, we were taken into the Temple for a more informative tour. After wards we returned to Sonalong for breakfast, followed by a tour of the Lake and the villages on the lake. That evening, we were taken to a dinner folk dancing show, again all inclusive to the package.

Both my wife and myself really enjoyed the personalised time at Sonalong Boutique. Wide Eyed Tours organised us a very comprehensive tour and I have to say that the whole package cost was extremely cheap, considering everything was all inclusive (except lunch on the first day). Mr Hak's staff at Sonalong are very young and hard working, the rooms were kept very clean, and they are reasonably well appointed. If you want 5 star, then this is not for you. If you want a clean, neat, personalised, friendly,very secure accomodation, with good fresh food, then Sonalong is for you.

There are over 200 hotels in Siem Reap to choose from, most are overseas conglomerates raking in the money to send back home. Sonalong is a locally owned entity, and every cent you spend there, most likely stays in Cambodia. Do yourself a favour and visit Sonalong Boutique Village in Siem Reap, and support the local economy. These people deserve it, they are just great, and I cannot recommend them highly enough.
Mick Skehan, Perth, Western Australia.

1 Thank Michael S