“so long Sonalong”

Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort
Ranked #69 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 18 April 2013

We loved staying at Sonalong Boutique Village. The rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable. The veranda with ceiling fan was private and cool. The gardens are beautiful. The owner - Mr Hak is passionate about natural vegetation and self sufficiency. There were coconut, mangos, banana trees, palms, frangipani and many more - lemongrass and herbs. Lovely water features and hand crafted statues/ornamental. Service was excellent - friendly staff, good food.
Joy - staff member and driver - was very knowledgeable, a gentleman.
Can't recommend it highly enough.
Thanks Mr. Hak and staff!Member

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Sonalong V, Manager at Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Thank you so much SIR and MADAM for your valued time to wrote a review to TripAdvisor about our resort even positive or negative to improve our local business for the near future.
I will try to do my best for another customers near the future and I do hope to have a chance to see you gain one day.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

The central area of Seam Reap is so over commercialised, that it was a delight to stay at this lovely boutique hotel, situated in a garden oasis, in a peaceful area of the town. Our room, on the ground floor, was spacious and well furnished. It had its own private terrace, overlooking the lush vegetation. After spending all day exploring the wonderful temple sights, it was a delight to chill off in the pool and enjoy a well prepared cocktail. Breakfast, which was included in the room rate, was a la carte with a fairly wide choice and was served quickly by the friendly staff.
We stayed here for three nights and during this time, large parts of the town were without electricity. Sonalong, like many of the hotels, had its own generator. At night you could hear them all running, although it in no way disturbed us. The staff were very helpful and although we had already booked a driver and guide, they provided us with a map and recommended several good restaurants. The map was a bad photocopy and not very good. A tuk-tuk into the centre of town took just a few minutes and cost $ 2
It is very good value and a hotel we can recommend with confidence.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Todd S

Thank you so much SIR and MADAM for your valued time to wrote a review to TripAdvisor about our resort even positive or negative.
I do hope to have a chance to see you gain one day.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

We stayed at the Sonalong for 4 nights in Feb 2013. Everthing about this hotel is perfect. The rooms are large and clean. The garden and trees are an oasis in this hot and dusty town. The swimming pool is a must in the heat of Siem Reap. Staff were very helpful and friendly. We were there during Chinese New Year and a lot of services were not available but the staff helped us to get a driver to take us to Phnom Penh. Unfortunately we had ongoing reservations in Cambodia or we would have stayed here and chilled out longer. We would definitely come back and stay here again

Room Tip: All rooms are good
Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much SIR and MADAM for your valued time to wrote a review to TripAdvisor about our resort even positive or negative to improve our local business near the future.
I will improve our services better and better for the another customer from now on and I do hope to have a chance to see you gain one day.

Reviewed 6 April 2013

Sonalong is a gorgeous Boutique Villa Hotel within walking distance to many popular restaurants out of the main tourist area. So you are able to enjoy Siem Reap and not be in the hustle and bustle of Old Market especially at night time when you can then just walk back to Sonalong.
The drinks are of high quality and not just a shake filled with ice compared to Downtown and the beer is cold and not just one variety to chose from. The bar tender is fully trained and could make all our cocktail requests too.
There are a couple of Tuk Tuks just outside the villa specifically taking care of Sonalong guests so you know you will be paying a fair price in and out of town.
The privacy of each separate bungalo is unique although there are many guests staying at Sonalong you would never know as it is so quiet and private. The garden is like a tropical wonderland which keeps the rooms much cooler than any other place I have stayed at in Siem Reap.

Mr Hak is extremely helpful and makes sure every guest is greeted with a smile and nothing is too much to ask of him or his staff. If they don't know they make sure your queery is answered by Mr Hak himself or one of his competent staff will even call him if a problem arises.

I needed special taxi service to the border and I was picked up very early in the morning by an English speaking Taxi driver, I even had Mr Hak's phone number to call him if there was a problem at the border crossing. He assisted me with which day was best to cross and return, costs I would be required to pay and warned me not to fall for the bribes at the Poipet Border crossing. My Taxi driver was so very thoughtful stopped for drinks, showed me where to eat on our lunch break returning to Siem Reap and it was a totally trouble free trip. My previous trips doing the same thing had been horrendous, left stranded, interrogated by tourist police and I paid a bribe so I would not be taken back to Thailand.

Tour guides that Sonalong organize have very good English and give the extra service with a smile, in fact all the staff at Sonalong are smiling whether it be the gardener or the security guards. Nothing is too much trouble at this lovely Boutique Villa. I will continue to visit here as long as I am coming to Siem Reap and would recommend to all my friends.

Compared to

Room Tip: All are very private and located away from the road.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Thank you so much MADAM for your valued time to wrote a review to TripAdvisor about our resort even positive or negative.
I will try to do my best for the another customers and I do hope to have a chance to see you gain one day.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

As with the other reviews, this is a lovely Hotel not far from town with lots of trees and well appointed apartments. The plus for families is that you get connecting rooms so the kids have a room to themselves. All well maintained and cleaned dailiy. Breakfast was good and the pool a bonus with kids. We found the staff friendly and always happy to oblige when they could. We needed a guide for our sunrise tour at Angkor and they were able to arrange the evening before. Our guide was excellent and great with the kids. We also used Joy, a car driver who also works at the hotel, on another day to go out to Kbhal Spean and Banteay Srei and he was also excellent - we learned so much from speaking with our guides. To sum up, the best features of the Hotel are the rooms, gardens, pool and staff. The least was just the price of drinks at the bar which seemed to be more expensive that other places (by Cambodia standards). I would recommend this hotel to others with kids in Siem Reap.

Room Tip: Families should book connecting rooms which provide a whole level to yourself.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much SIR and MADAM for your valued time to wrote a review to TripAdvisor about our resort even positive or negative improve our local business near the future.
I do hope to have a chance to see you gain.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this peaceful hotel again. I have been to Sonalong several times and am so pleased that the service and rooms continue to be excellent. The garden lends a real serenity to the stay and the friendliness and knowledge of the staff continues to amaze me. Thank you Mr Hak and staff

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

I do hope to have a chance to see you gain one day.

Reviewed 23 March 2013

We stayed at the Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort for 5 nights mid February 2013. This hotel is within 10 minutes walk from the centre of Siem Reap which we found a big plus. Because the hotel and the large pool are situated in a nice garden you never felt like being in a busy and very touristy town.

Our Deluxe room on the first floor was quite new and had a good size. The bathroom was very large. Our room had a large terrace overlooking the pool. The van on the ceiling was great for cooling down and to keep away the mosquitoes. Unfortunately Wifi was very bad in the room all the time. We had to go to the restaurant for a better connection.

The pool was large enough to have a good swim and to cool down after a long and dusty day at Angkor Wat. For breakfast they offer a fixed menu. For us breakfast was fine.

The biggest disadvantage of this hotel was there staff. After the extreme warm hospitality and smiles at the Kabiki Hotel in Phnom Penh this felt like a smash in the face. The staff was very cool and arrogant. They did their job without any smile. We hoped their attitude would change after Mr. Hak returned from Thailand but unfortunately it stayed the same. For us this was a big disappointment after our great experience in Phnom Penh.

But at the end for us this hotel was a good choice for Siem Reap.

Room Tip: Rooms 111, 112, 211 and 212 are a little larger and newer than the other ones.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Sonalong V, Manager at Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2013

Dear SIR, thank you so much for your valued to wrote a review about our resort, I am so sorry to heard that my staffs are unfriendly, I remembered you very well, because I arrange the taxi from your hotel in Phnom Penh to Siem Reap, when you arrived here, I was in Thailand, so I didn't know what's happening to you ? but as more than hundred reviews my staffs are very friendly plus myself.
I think the problem is staffs miss understand about your English ( this is the second language ), I do not mean that you don't know English, you know English and my staff also know English.
Anyways, hope to see you again next time and I will take note what wrote.