“Great hotel with warm and friendly staff.”

Anantara Angkor Resort
Ranked #29 of 373 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I stayed at the Anantara for 6 nights during the festive period 2013 with my family and parents. The hotel had recently changed from the Sothea and so I was unsure if this was going to effect the overall running of it. There was nothing to worry about however.

Plus Points.
*The Staff. They were all so warm, welcoming and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them and they remembered the little things that we had asked for during our stay. They indulged our 3 year old, playing and making a fuss of him which he loved.
The management were lovely too and gave us some good ideas about what to visit, do etc.

*The rooms were in a good condition, clean and had everything you wanted. They were large enough to have the 3 of us in and still plenty of room for playing and moving about. The balcony was a good addition.

*The pool was great to relax by. It was calm, quiet and peaceful although very cold. I imagine it warms up over the course of the year but be prepared to be brave getting in at the moment!

*Breakfast gave us enough options to make us feel that we could have something different each morning. It certainly filled us up for the day ahead.

*Location wise, the hotel is about 10 mins from the airport and 5-7mins away from the centre of town in a tuck-tuck. It was nice to be out of the centre actually and if you let the reception know that you would like to go into town they will organise a complimentary tuck tuck for you.

The only down side was the prices of the food from the restaurant. On a few occasions we got lunch for our little one at the hotel and it cost the same as a meal for all 3 of us in town. Granted we are paying for the service, location etc and I understand that it is going to cost more because of this, but I do feel that it was still on the expensive side.

Overall I enjoyed staying at the hotel very much and I would stay there again if we were to ever re-visit Siem Reap.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Chum Reap Sou!

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely experience of the Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa.

Our asset is definitely our associates and thank you for recognizing the excellent service our team provided to you and your family particularly your young one.

Indeed our location is most ideal, close to town but far enough to be away from the hustle and bustle of the center with our complimentary tuk-tuk a short ride away

I note your feedback on the pricing of the meals and will evaluate. I am pleased that the offering is good but we will continue to ensure that we provide an exceptional experience in this regard and improve where we need to.

Your comments will be shared with our team and I would like to thank you once again for staying with us and please feel free to contact me directly for future requirements

Kind regards

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Our four days stay at Anantara exceeded every expectations in every way. We had the most wonderful stay, greeted with warm welcome, beautiful and comfortable room, delicious breakfast, excellent dinner, stunning pool area, spa was good and the staffs at the hotel were outstanding! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and had the most amazing, peaceful and relaxing time.

• Stayed: December 2013
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Dear Guests,

Chum Reap Sou and season's greetings from Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa.

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience here on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you had a lovely stay with us and appreciated the facilities we have on offer.

Most importantly, our team of associates exceeded your expectation and extended warm hospitality.

Your comments will be shared with our resort team and thank you for feedback

Should you have future plans to return, please feel free to contact me for assistance

Reviewed 18 December 2013

We stayed there recently as a last minute getaway from the kids and a chance to visit the temples. We asked for airport transfers and upon arrival we were greeted with cold towels and staff who immediately took our bags. The hotel was a short drive away (delayed slightly as The Cambodian Royal Family was passing by!) and again had cold towels and for once, a really tasty welcome drink. Despite us hating the notion of guided tours, we took up their offer for the next day including a 4.30 start for sunrise over Angkor Wat. The whole day was superb. Our guide was courteous, knowledgeable and a very willing photographer and really added value to the trip. He didnt try pushing any sidetrips to local shops or anything - whatever we wanted to do he did and he did it with a lovely warm smile. After sun-up and a walk around Angkor Wat, we headed back to the hotel for some breakfast and a quick snooze before heading back out to the other temples. The breakfast is nice, but as the hotel has only 40-odd rooms its not the massive buffet most asian hotels have. The staff help out and all the basics are covered, and covered well. The sliced fresh mango is especially good!

The next day we elected to take one of the hotel tuk-tuks arond the lesser known temples without a guide. Again - superb! Again the driver was knowledgeable and was happy to point out certain bits of trivia as we rode along.

We decided to take the tuk-tuk back to the airport but on the final day it was already being used by another guest so they offered us the 4x4 instead at no extra charge. A wonderful way to end the trip.

A lovely moment encapsulated the professionalism of the staff. After having some dinner and enjoying the nightlife in town we decided to head home. We called the hotel (they give you a free cell phone to make calls) to send a tuktuk to pick us up (again, complimentary). We were advised that as it was late, all their drivers had gone home and we were to get into any tuktuk and the hotel would pay. So we jumped into the nearest one and went to the hotel. Upon arrival, the manager came to us and simply said "Thankyou Sir, please have a good night" and ushered us into the hotel without a word of what price we had agreed with the tuktuk driver (an exhorbitant one). We didnt look back and nothing was ever mentioned. Very classy!

If we visit the temples again, this is where my dollars are going.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sarkar256
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Chum Reap Sou!

Firstly, I would like to thank you for choosing Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa as your resort here in Siem Reap.

Thank you for sharing your experience and I very pleased to read that you had a lovely stay with us. Being a smaller property, we are dedicated to provide a more personalized service and I am pleased that our team made your stay a memorable one.

We work with a group of professional guides and having personally been on these guided tours, it is very positive to read of your experience when visiting Angkor Wat

Your feedback will be shared with our resort team and thank you once again for recognizing our team

I wish you a lovely end to the year and our best wishes for 2014.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Our three day stay at the Anantara exceeded expectations in every way: the ambience was first class, the pool welcoming, the food/dining room was excellent and staff went out of there way to ensure a welcoming stay. More over they ensured that we were able to see the major sites at our preferred schedules so we avoided the crowds who visited the temples at the usual times. The Tuk Tuk service was a bonus. We really enjoyed the hotel driver and his attentive service. From the GM Socrates, all the staff made out stay very memorable.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Chum Reap Sou!

Thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your experience here on Trip Advisor.

It was our pleasure to have welcomed you here in Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa and pleased that you enjoyed the facilities and more importantly the service and hospitality that our team offered during your stay

Being a smaller resort, we aim to ensure a more personalized service, ensuring that your individual needs are taken care of

Please feel free to contact me directly for future planned visits and indeed if you have any colleagues, family or friends that wish to visit this wonderful city and it will be my pleasure to welcome them personally

Wishing you a lovely end to the year

Reviewed 5 December 2013

If you like hotels where you are nothing more than "another guest" this is not the place for you. Outstanding service , they take care of every small detail, good breakfast buffet, rooms are comfy, peaceful and quiet. Complimentary Tuk Tuk service to take you downtown :) . We really loved our stay here

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Chum Reap Sou!

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share your lovely experience here at Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa.

My team and I are very proud to receive your feedback and delighted to read your experience. Our ideal location is very tranquil and close to all the attractions without being too hectic. I do hope that we would have another opportunity to welcome you back here in this wonderful city and please feel free to contact me directly for future assistance

Wishing you a lovely end to the year

General manager

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Overall, I had a very positive experience at the hotel, which is formerly known as The Sothea. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable (in Indo-French style) and the staff are friendly and helpful. I suspect that the pool there is underused due to the fact that the tile are black, if it was a lighter shade, I am sure people wouldn't mind swimming in it.

Breakfast was a bit disappointing. I ended up having fruits and noodle soup four days in a row at the other stuff didn't look appealing - but I am picky with food.

The hotel itself is a bit far from Siem Reap (it's close to the airport), and the hotel addresses that by offering a free Tuk Tuk service. The only downside of that service is that you'll have to call them to arrange for a pick up if you want to walk around town a bit and sometimes communications could be a challenge.

The spa itself is fine though it is pricer than what you'll pay in town. The manager of the hotel was very keen on pitching the Khmer cooking class experience to us, which we ended up doing. We got to see the markets, but not much explanation was given on the theory/background of Khmer cooking. The class itself was also a bit pricey (US$70 each) and one can do a lot to help those in need in Cambodia.

It's a good hotel overall and it's a bargain compared to some of the new hotels in town. If you enjoy walking around town, the location might not be ideal.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank cosmic_dot
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Chum Reap Sour

Warm greetings from Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa.

On behalf of the team, thank you for taking time to share with us your experience

I am very pleased to hear that you had a lovely stay with us.

One of the unique aspect of our location is that being in between the airport and the close proximity to the hustle and bustle of town, it is always a short ride away and giving you the tranquility after a hard day's exploring. I will work with the team to ensure we provide a more seamless experience regarding communication and this includes a better introduction of the experiences such as the cooking class

I note your feedback on our breakfast and would be delighted to receive your specific comment on this as I wish to ensure we exceed our guest expectation, Our current breakfast offering extends to both Western and Asian choices as well as a number of items prepared á la minute

I do agree with you that the swimming pool is rarely busy though I think it is more to do with the size of our property and activities the guests take part in during the day. Certainly the salt water pool provides a refreshing alternative.

Your comments will be shared with the team and I hope that when you next visit Siem Reap, I will have the opportunity to welcome you back personally and that we will have the opportunity to introduce you to new experiences

Once again, thank you for taking your valuable time to provide us with a most welcome feedback

Kind regards

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We spent three nights and were cared for with white glove service. While it is in the busy highway from the airport, one you step through the entrance, there is a feeling of peace. And we were a tuk-tuk ride away from downtown and Angkor Wat. It has large rooms and a great swimming pool. And most exciting was the private open air shower connected to our room. We were fortunate to meet the new owners who treated us like family. Everyone at the hotel made our stay extra special.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank recfun
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

Chum Reap Sou!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read you review and the your experience here at Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa. Thank you for recognizing our associates and your feedback will be shared with the team.

I am pleased to share with you that as of November 1st 2013, we are now part of the Anantara family and I do hope that we would have another opportunity to welcome you back. Please feel free to contact me directly for future assistance