“Amazing stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 338 Hotels in Siem Reap
Singapore, Singapore
“Amazing stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Made a last minute decision to visit Siem Reap and a getaway from busy city life. I am very glad to have chosen to come and stay with Anantara. Very relaxing and top snotch personalized service right from the beginning of checking-in, orientation to the room by personal butler, greeted by all staff, spa, facial and room service.

Our best experience was the delivery of morning breakfast. Simply awesome.

As it was also our wedding anniversary, we were pampered by surprise room decoration, chocolate, champagne and flower foam bath.

Of course some communication issues with staff with different language but generally everything went well.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wluek
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this review, 2 July 2014

Chum Reap Sou!

Warn greetings form Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your stay here on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the personalized service provided by our resort team. As a small property of 39 elegant and spacious rooms, our focus is on creating memorable and personalized experience to our guests

Your comments will be shared with our team and will give us further drive to do even better

Thank you once again and warm wishes from me and the resort team

Kind regards

Socrates Alvaro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed for 6 days at this amazing resort and was totally blown away by the wonderful and sincere hospitality right from the GM, Socrates all the way down to the tuk tuk driver of the hotel. Everything was done to perfection right down to the minutest of details. This was truly a 6 star treatment given by staff with kindness and sincerity. It says a lot about the culture of the establishment and the leadership behind this amazing boutique hotel. The only downside I can fault is the limited F&B variety offered. On the flip side, this probably allowed us to venture into town and the opportunity to try all the wonderful recommended eateries. A delightful gastronomical taste adventure of Khmer and fusion gourmet fare. A huge thank you to Socrates for the recommendations (Cuisen Wat Damnak, AHA, Sugarpalm) and to Olivia and Peter for making our stay a perfect 10!
Regards
Leslie Ong

Room Tip: If possible request for a room on the upper floors.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Les317
Dear Mr. Ong,

Warm greetings from Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa.

I am delighted and grateful for the wonderful comments you wrote on Trip Advisor

It sincerely is our pleasure to have hosted you here in Siem Reap and pleased that you chose our tranquil resort for your visit to the Kingdom of Wonders.

Your kind feedback and recognition of our associates and service provided are very much welcomed and will be shared with our team

I am very proud to have been able to contribute to your memorable stay here in Cambodia

If ever your journey takes you back to Siem Reap or that you have friends or family visiting, please do contact me direct and it will be my pleasure to assist

On behalf of the resort team and I, thank you for your gracious comments once again

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed here with the intention of having a nice place to stay and having things close to us. The hotel was immaculate and the rooms were great too - I can not fault it there.

I do have to issues with the hotel though, the first being the location. It is about 3km from the main area in Siem Reap, which meant that it was annoying that we couldn't walk down a few blocks to have a drink at a bar. So if you like to arrive at the hotel and stay put, this isn't a problem, but if you are like us and want to enjoy the town this location isn't the best.

The other issue I had with this hotel was that the staff constantly tried to sell us their tours of the Angkor temples, their food in the restaurant, the spa etc. After two or three "sales pitches" this got really annoying.

If you like spending most of your time in a hotel, this is great. If you like to explore the area and walk around, stay somewhere closer to the centre of Siem Reap.

Room Tip: The deluxe room is the best value
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on Trip Advisor and for your lovely comments

I am delighted that you enjoyed our beautiful rooms and your stay in the hotel overall.

Regarding the location of our resort, whilst not being in the centre of the hustle and bustle, we are close enough to be there within 10 minutes by our complimentary Tuk Tuk.

I note your feedback on the promotion of activities of the services the hotel offers and we will ensure that we promote our service without being intrusive.

Your feedback is most appreciated and will be shared with the team. Thank you once again and for choosing our resort

if I could be of further assistance for future visit or should you have friends or family visiting please feel free to contact me directly

Socrates
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

My wife and I are big fans of B&Bs, but our recent move to a new country and the hectic work schedules warranted a holiday of the thoroughly-pampering-type. Although a drink in hand, and a beach in sight would be the most obvious choice, we wanted to use the opportunity to get out of our routine to also visit one of our wishlist-destinations - Siem Reap. And to top it all, it was our anniversary!

So, the research-driven tripadvisor-stalking people that we are, we picked a resort in Siem Reap (that's now ranked No.1), and bookings were done. However, Anantara caught our eye a few days ahead of our trip, and after reading all the raving reviews, we immediately cancelled our earlier booking with the other property, and booked Anantara.

Booking and Communication:

Right after the booking was done (through a 3rd party website), I sent an email asking for some clarifications on room type, room location etc; emails were responded to promptly, responses were always courteous, had personal touch, and it felt like the Anantara experience had already begun.

Getting there:

We had an airport transfer booked, and a nice sedan with our 'personal butler' picked us up from the airport the moment we got out. Cold water and cold towels in the car were very welcoming and it was a short 5 minute drive to the property. The property is on the highway that runs across the country and connects to the airport (we were told the same road leads to Thailand too, and one could just drive to Thailand in 4-5 hours). The location is not close to the Angkor Wat and other temples, or the town. The town is 10 minutes away by a tuk-tuk ride, and the temples about 20 minutes away on the tuk-tuk.

You can use the complementary tuk-tuk service provided by the resort to go visit the town or just hire a tuk-tuk outside the property for a mere USD 2-3. All in all, no hassles getting around town or to the resort.

The Property and Rooms:

We learnt that the property was called Sothea resort and has recently been taken over by the Anantara group. Nevertheless, a fantastic property with all that you can think of - a Spa, Restaurant/Bar, a nice pool, and very well furnished rooms. The rooms are all designed to be around the major attraction of the property - the pool. Rooms at the lower levels have windows overlooking the pool (with a nifty little sit-out by the pool), and rooms on the upper level have windows overlooking the pool from one level up. We picked a room on the upper level based on feedback from other reviewers, and don't repent the decision. Ours was a deluxe room, with well furnished living area, television, WiFi (last thing we needed on a vacation), a nice bath with a bath-tub, indoor shower enclosure, and a nice outdoor shower too. The bed was very comfortable, and we had good sleep quality!

We stayed for four days, it was sweltering heat in May, so we had plenty of time to spend in the resort during the day time (we'd finish our visits early morning, or save it for the evenings). I must say the pool was great, and so was the pool-side drink service. The spa was fantastic, with very diverse type of treatments. We got massages twice during our four day stay and although the price was high relative to other services and the room tariffs, the service was great!

The Staff and the Service:

This is the highlight of Anantara! From the time I made the booking, to the time we were shown our way into the airport departure area, we were treated like - (at the risk of sounding exaggerated) - Khmer Royalty! Every single person in the facility knew us by name, and would greet us every time we walked out to the lobby, and at every other opportunity. There was a genuine interest in ensuring we had a good vacation - and it showed in the way we were pampered by the staff. My wife and I are not easy to please but this place is by far the best property we've seen, in terms of staff and service!

One of the nights during our stay, there was a heavy downpour, our room became extremely noisy due to water dropping on the roof of our outdoor shower area (which apparently had a glass ceiling). We called maintenance to see if there was something wrong, and then figured the glass ceiling story. I was amazed when the staff immediately offered to change our room in the middle of the night so we can have a good nights sleep. We've stayed in many places and I was blown away - I'm used to hearing "oh, let me check with my supervisor in the morning and we'll change your room", but there he was, the maintenance guy offering us a room change at 2AM!

For two consecutive days, the staff repeatedly offered to change our rooms, and even upgrade us to a Suite, we turned the offer down because we didn't want to let go of our beloved balcony view (one of the Suites didn't have a balcony). The following day, we were offered a Suite upgrade with a balcony this time, and we still turned it down because we were leaving the following day.

The night of our anniversary, we were surprised to walk into our room and see the room decorated with flowers, the bath was ready with warm water, a bottle of Champagne and chocolates waiting for us when we walked in - all complementary of course. I still don't know how our tuk-tuk driver planned the timing, and made the calls in between our stops to co-ordinate to get the staff to ready the room when we arrived. I could tell by the fact that the Champagne was still very cold when we opened the door!

All in all, five star service rating for the staff of Anantara and special mention to the General Manager Peter (forget his last name) who ensured we were taken care of during our stay!

The Food:

If there was one Achilles-heel for Anantara, that is probably the food. To be clear, everything we ate either at breakfast, or at the restaurant, or in-room dining, was fresh, tasty, and flavorsome. However, the menu clearly lacked variety. Maybe it was because we stayed during the off-season and they'd like to keep the kitchen thinly-staffed - this was one sore point. Most nights during dinner, we found ourselves taking a quick tuk-tuk ride to the town to feast on one of the many local Khmer dishes or just the multitudes of bars and restaurants. I also believe they should reconsider their F&B prices, relative to everything else, the F&B prices seem high. I'd think its fair to pay $6 for a beer when you'd charge $300 for the room, but not when you're charging orders of magnitude less than that. But again, this is a subjective topic and I'll leave it at that. In summary, food quality - great!, variety - poor!

Summary:

This was our first time to Siem Reap and we haven't stayed in other properties but Anantara is clearly one of the best properties we've stayed in. The rooms are beautiful and tastefully done, the pool is great, spa is very relaxing with great service, and the staff just works very hard to please the guests! And compared to the prices you pay in some of the highly ranked properties in Siem Reap, Anantara is a sweet deal!

Room Tip: The resort offers multiple packages and itineraries to visit all the temples, sites, and tours. Look...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this review, 24 June 2014

Chum Reap Sou

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa.

I appreciate that there are many choices in Siem Reap when looking for somewhere to stay and I am delighted that you chose our tranquil resort to celebrate your special occasion.

Our biggest asset is definitely our resort team and thank you for recognizing the exceptional service provided by our team. It is important to create the best impression from the outset and to read that we were attentive and prompt from the very beginning, with your queries and the warm welcome on arrival is very pleasing indeed

Our rooms are exceptional and i am pleased that you enjoyed the facilities and amenities of the resort. I note your comment on the variety of the food and will work with our culinary leader to ensure that we provide a better option for our guests

Your beautiful comments will be shared with our team and thank you once again for the recognition

Please feel free to contact me directly for future assistance on reservations and visit to Siem Reap

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Starting from the moment we walked in the lobby, scented lightly with lemon grass and filled with a mellow live musician's performance, we LOVED this hotel! The staff was very attentive and helpful. The food at the breakfast buffet was great! The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The extra touches were VERY appreciated and kind.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Chum Reap Sou

The team and I are delighted that you had a most relaxing and beautiful stay with us

We strive to create always a tranquil setting for our guest, to enjoy the facilities and the lovely, spacious rooms the resort has to offer.

Thank you for recognizing our resort team's efforts

Please feel free to contact me directly for future stay requirements

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Upon reaching the hotel the immediate exterior didn't fill me with disappointment. Due to the unpaved area and unkept land. However, once entering the hotel, it was a different world. I was greeted with really friendly staff that booked me in whilst I was being shown to my room. The room itself was beautiful, gorgeous wood everywhere, the balcony overlooked the pool where you could sit out and enjoy the sun. The whole hotel was absolutely spotless. Well laid out lovely to walk through. The was a free shuttle into the city, which was always available, it would also collect you to take you back to the hotel at the time you had given the driver. This hotel was so relaxing, especially after touring the temples all day. I only ate breakfast in the hotel, I found the food delicious (noodle soup with chicken). I would recommend this hotel to everyone. It was fantastic and importantly, great value. Touring the temples can be tiring in the heat, knowing what you are going back to, helps a lot.

Room Tip: I had a room overlooking the pool. As I didn't see any other, I can't comment My room was p...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank John G
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to share your memorable experience of Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa.

I am delighted to read that you felt the warmth of the Khmer and Anantara hospitality the moment you arrive and enjoyed our elegant and spacious room. One of the features of the resort is the tranquil setting it affords and indeed a most relaxing place after a day of touring and exploring the Kingdom of Wonder

Our resort team, in particular the culinary and housekeeping team will be grateful for the recognition of the services they provided, the cleanliness of the resort and the quality of breakfast served

Thank you once again for your wonderful feedback

If I could be of assistance for future visits or should you have any friends or colleagues planning a visit, please do contact me directly for assistance

LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

What a beautiful property - I had a room on the 2nd floor with a gorgeous balcony overlooking the pool. I probably would have taken advantage of these fine amenities a bit more, but my stay was short and the weather was too hot to spend much time outdoors (and I love the heat). As many others have noted, it was the service and staff that made this a memorable and outstanding stay. The property is situated just a few minutes between the airport and downtown, which was a perfect excuse to take their complimentary tuk tuk service everywhere! I was even provided a mobile phone so I could call the driver when I was ready to be picked up. Vireak was the "butler" during my stay and the service was so impeccable, I was unsure how to even appreciate all the attentiveness. Welcome beverage, cold towel every time I returned back from a day's adventure, fresh local fruit and descriptions in the room, the list goes on! Additionally, the resort staff at breakfast and the spa all knew who I was and were so friendly, offering information about the area and providing suggestions along the way. I was only in town for 2 nights and this property made me feel like I had been there for months. I was also able to have a late check-out because my flight was not until the evening and was offered use of the spa facilities to shower before departing. Olivia, the Guest Relations host, introduced herself to me during my stay and was an absolute delight. Need I say more? If you are looking for a beautiful property and first class service, this is an excellent choice.

Room Tip: upstairs with a balcony
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Chum Reap Sou

Thank you for your most gracious comments on Trip advisor and indeed for taking the time to share your wonderful experience here in Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa

The team and I are delighted to have made your trip here in Siem Reap a memorable one and that you enjoyed the facilities and amenities of our lovely resort. Your comment in particular of the service and hospitality provided by our team is most appreciated

The resort team always strive to provide a personalized and heartfelt hospitality and it is encouraging when this is recognized by our most valuable guest

Please fell free to provide my direct contact for any colleagues or friends that plan to visit Siem Reap and would be delighted to assist personally

Thank you once again for choosing Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa