“Not impressed”

Anantara Angkor Resort
Ranked #28 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I did expect flawless service, impeccable food (it was disgusting at two different occasions) and staff that can understand my requests (some lost luggage papers from the airline weren't returned to me as clearly requested to the staff - they eventually appeared after complaining). We also had issues with housekeeping - the first day it was our fault since we didn't push the request button on the control board, the second day we pushed the button at 4am and went to Angkor Wat and were quite disappointed to see the room wasn't made when we came back around noon for a quick rest. In any case, if it wasn't for the Anantara name I don't think this hotel would make it as a 5* resort and shouldn't command 200-300$ a night price, especially in a country where the average salary is 1$ a day.

4  Thank vincebilodeau
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Guests,

Warm greetings from Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa.

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of stay with us and I regret to learn of your disappointing stay with us.

Whilst I know that we normally delivery a much better service, clearly on this occasion we fell short of our usual level of hospitality. I would be much obliged to received detailed feedback on your dining experience

Once again thank you for giving your feedback and my apologies.

Should your journey take you back to Siem Reap, I would be grateful for an opportunity to assist personally with your stay and to have an opportunity to show our usual level of hospitality and to create a better impression and experiene

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Overall, I was disappointed with my stay at Anantara. It promised a lot, but failed to deliver in some significant respects. It wasn't all bad. The hotel itself is beautiful, the welcome mocktail was delicious and the free tuk tuk rides into town and back were appreciated. The biggest issue we had (which really overshadowed our stay) was with the hotel staff trying way too hard (and way too often) to sell us their overpriced services (for example a US $35 transfer from the airport, when the taxi cost around $5) but not delivering on the basics (such as providing room service menus and taking the leftovers from breakfast when making up the room). Would I go back there? Maybe, but given the price I think I will try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Daniel G

Chum Reap Sou

Thank you for your most valuable feedback on your recent stay.

I am very sorry that we were not able to deliver and meet your expectations

I note your comments on the issues you experienced and will address this to do better. Regarding the pricing, I understand the cost of our transfer is significantly more than what is provided at the airport. We will not be able to compete in all honesty with these rates though from personal experience and feedback from our guests, our vehicles will ensure you arrive at the hotel comfortably, with representatives meeting you at the airport and avoid an inconvenient journey.

I will work with my team to improve on the shortcomings highlighted. Should you do plan on a return to Siem Reap, I would kindly request the opportunity to assist personally and would hope to be able to welcome you back for you to have an exceptional stay and more reflective of our hospitality

Once again, your feedback is much appreciated and thank you for taking the time to share your experience

Reviewed 1 July 2014

From arrival and introduction to the hotel by Peter, to the chat with Olivia about the local area and things to see to the welcome from the GM Socrates, to the attention form all the staff, this property is yet another gem in the Anantara portfolio.
This is my 5th Anantara vacation and they never fail to amaze and satisfy.
They pulled out all the stops on our anniversary night and made it really special.
The property is tastefully decorated, rooms are comfortable and good for a 5/6 day stay. If you want to stay for longer you will probably run out of drawer space though!
The food is exceptional. The attention from the Executive Chef Jeremy was genuine and warm.
I’d recommend Anantara Angkor in a heartbeat to anyone travelling to Siem Reap. Only 15 minutes from the Temples and 10 minutes form the airport.
The only thing we found wrong on the last day was the skin wasn’t peeled off the salami… (Jeremy)! Now that really was me looking for something wrong!!
Well done Socrates and the team. Top Marks 10/10

1  Thank marcoalza
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Chum Reap Sou!

Thank you for your warm and generous feedback on trip Advisor.

It was our pleasure to welcome you at Anantara Angkor Resort & spa and that we were able to maintain your expectation of Anantara Hotels & Resorts.

I am really pleased that the team were all able to contribute to your exceptional stay with us

Indeed, I note your disappointment and have spoken to our Chef for having placed a blemish with the salami on the last day

Aside from this, I am proud that we were able to ensure a high level of personal care and attention to our guests was extended

Please fell free to contact me directly for any friends/family wishing to visit our lovely destination and indeed our resort. It will be my pleasure to personally assist with their requirements

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Made a last minute decision to visit Siem Reap and a getaway from busy city life. I am very glad to have chosen to come and stay with Anantara. Very relaxing and top snotch personalized service right from the beginning of checking-in, orientation to the room by personal butler, greeted by all staff, spa, facial and room service.

Our best experience was the delivery of morning breakfast. Simply awesome.

As it was also our wedding anniversary, we were pampered by surprise room decoration, chocolate, champagne and flower foam bath.

Of course some communication issues with staff with different language but generally everything went well.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wluek

Chum Reap Sou!

Warn greetings form Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your stay here on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the personalized service provided by our resort team. As a small property of 39 elegant and spacious rooms, our focus is on creating memorable and personalized experience to our guests

Your comments will be shared with our team and will give us further drive to do even better

Thank you once again and warm wishes from me and the resort team

Kind regards

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed for 6 days at this amazing resort and was totally blown away by the wonderful and sincere hospitality right from the GM, Socrates all the way down to the tuk tuk driver of the hotel. Everything was done to perfection right down to the minutest of details. This was truly a 6 star treatment given by staff with kindness and sincerity. It says a lot about the culture of the establishment and the leadership behind this amazing boutique hotel. The only downside I can fault is the limited F&B variety offered. On the flip side, this probably allowed us to venture into town and the opportunity to try all the wonderful recommended eateries. A delightful gastronomical taste adventure of Khmer and fusion gourmet fare. A huge thank you to Socrates for the recommendations (Cuisen Wat Damnak, AHA, Sugarpalm) and to Olivia and Peter for making our stay a perfect 10!
Regards
Leslie Ong

Room Tip: If possible request for a room on the upper floors.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Les317

Dear Mr. Ong,

Warm greetings from Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa.

I am delighted and grateful for the wonderful comments you wrote on Trip Advisor

It sincerely is our pleasure to have hosted you here in Siem Reap and pleased that you chose our tranquil resort for your visit to the Kingdom of Wonders.

Your kind feedback and recognition of our associates and service provided are very much welcomed and will be shared with our team

I am very proud to have been able to contribute to your memorable stay here in Cambodia

If ever your journey takes you back to Siem Reap or that you have friends or family visiting, please do contact me direct and it will be my pleasure to assist

On behalf of the resort team and I, thank you for your gracious comments once again

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed here with the intention of having a nice place to stay and having things close to us. The hotel was immaculate and the rooms were great too - I can not fault it there.

I do have to issues with the hotel though, the first being the location. It is about 3km from the main area in Siem Reap, which meant that it was annoying that we couldn't walk down a few blocks to have a drink at a bar. So if you like to arrive at the hotel and stay put, this isn't a problem, but if you are like us and want to enjoy the town this location isn't the best.

The other issue I had with this hotel was that the staff constantly tried to sell us their tours of the Angkor temples, their food in the restaurant, the spa etc. After two or three "sales pitches" this got really annoying.

If you like spending most of your time in a hotel, this is great. If you like to explore the area and walk around, stay somewhere closer to the centre of Siem Reap.

Room Tip: The deluxe room is the best value
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on Trip Advisor and for your lovely comments

I am delighted that you enjoyed our beautiful rooms and your stay in the hotel overall.

Regarding the location of our resort, whilst not being in the centre of the hustle and bustle, we are close enough to be there within 10 minutes by our complimentary Tuk Tuk.

I note your feedback on the promotion of activities of the services the hotel offers and we will ensure that we promote our service without being intrusive.

Your feedback is most appreciated and will be shared with the team. Thank you once again and for choosing our resort

if I could be of further assistance for future visit or should you have friends or family visiting please feel free to contact me directly

Reviewed 14 June 2014

My wife and I are big fans of B&Bs, but our recent move to a new country and the hectic work schedules warranted a holiday of the thoroughly-pampering-type. Although a drink in hand, and a beach in sight would be the most obvious choice, we wanted to use the opportunity to get out of our routine to also visit one of our wishlist-destinations - Siem Reap. And to top it all, it was our anniversary!

So, the research-driven tripadvisor-stalking people that we are, we picked a resort in Siem Reap (that's now ranked No.1), and bookings were done. However, Anantara caught our eye a few days ahead of our trip, and after reading all the raving reviews, we immediately cancelled our earlier booking with the other property, and booked Anantara.

Booking and Communication:

Right after the booking was done (through a 3rd party website), I sent an email asking for some clarifications on room type, room location etc; emails were responded to promptly, responses were always courteous, had personal touch, and it felt like the Anantara experience had already begun.

Getting there:

We had an airport transfer booked, and a nice sedan with our 'personal butler' picked us up from the airport the moment we got out. Cold water and cold towels in the car were very welcoming and it was a short 5 minute drive to the property. The property is on the highway that runs across the country and connects to the airport (we were told the same road leads to Thailand too, and one could just drive to Thailand in 4-5 hours). The location is not close to the Angkor Wat and other temples, or the town. The town is 10 minutes away by a tuk-tuk ride, and the temples about 20 minutes away on the tuk-tuk.

You can use the complementary tuk-tuk service provided by the resort to go visit the town or just hire a tuk-tuk outside the property for a mere USD 2-3. All in all, no hassles getting around town or to the resort.

The Property and Rooms:

We learnt that the property was called Sothea resort and has recently been taken over by the Anantara group. Nevertheless, a fantastic property with all that you can think of - a Spa, Restaurant/Bar, a nice pool, and very well furnished rooms. The rooms are all designed to be around the major attraction of the property - the pool. Rooms at the lower levels have windows overlooking the pool (with a nifty little sit-out by the pool), and rooms on the upper level have windows overlooking the pool from one level up. We picked a room on the upper level based on feedback from other reviewers, and don't repent the decision. Ours was a deluxe room, with well furnished living area, television, WiFi (last thing we needed on a vacation), a nice bath with a bath-tub, indoor shower enclosure, and a nice outdoor shower too. The bed was very comfortable, and we had good sleep quality!

We stayed for four days, it was sweltering heat in May, so we had plenty of time to spend in the resort during the day time (we'd finish our visits early morning, or save it for the evenings). I must say the pool was great, and so was the pool-side drink service. The spa was fantastic, with very diverse type of treatments. We got massages twice during our four day stay and although the price was high relative to other services and the room tariffs, the service was great!

The Staff and the Service:

This is the highlight of Anantara! From the time I made the booking, to the time we were shown our way into the airport departure area, we were treated like - (at the risk of sounding exaggerated) - Khmer Royalty! Every single person in the facility knew us by name, and would greet us every time we walked out to the lobby, and at every other opportunity. There was a genuine interest in ensuring we had a good vacation - and it showed in the way we were pampered by the staff. My wife and I are not easy to please but this place is by far the best property we've seen, in terms of staff and service!

One of the nights during our stay, there was a heavy downpour, our room became extremely noisy due to water dropping on the roof of our outdoor shower area (which apparently had a glass ceiling). We called maintenance to see if there was something wrong, and then figured the glass ceiling story. I was amazed when the staff immediately offered to change our room in the middle of the night so we can have a good nights sleep. We've stayed in many places and I was blown away - I'm used to hearing "oh, let me check with my supervisor in the morning and we'll change your room", but there he was, the maintenance guy offering us a room change at 2AM!

For two consecutive days, the staff repeatedly offered to change our rooms, and even upgrade us to a Suite, we turned the offer down because we didn't want to let go of our beloved balcony view (one of the Suites didn't have a balcony). The following day, we were offered a Suite upgrade with a balcony this time, and we still turned it down because we were leaving the following day.

The night of our anniversary, we were surprised to walk into our room and see the room decorated with flowers, the bath was ready with warm water, a bottle of Champagne and chocolates waiting for us when we walked in - all complementary of course. I still don't know how our tuk-tuk driver planned the timing, and made the calls in between our stops to co-ordinate to get the staff to ready the room when we arrived. I could tell by the fact that the Champagne was still very cold when we opened the door!

All in all, five star service rating for the staff of Anantara and special mention to the General Manager Peter (forget his last name) who ensured we were taken care of during our stay!

The Food:

If there was one Achilles-heel for Anantara, that is probably the food. To be clear, everything we ate either at breakfast, or at the restaurant, or in-room dining, was fresh, tasty, and flavorsome. However, the menu clearly lacked variety. Maybe it was because we stayed during the off-season and they'd like to keep the kitchen thinly-staffed - this was one sore point. Most nights during dinner, we found ourselves taking a quick tuk-tuk ride to the town to feast on one of the many local Khmer dishes or just the multitudes of bars and restaurants. I also believe they should reconsider their F&B prices, relative to everything else, the F&B prices seem high. I'd think its fair to pay $6 for a beer when you'd charge $300 for the room, but not when you're charging orders of magnitude less than that. But again, this is a subjective topic and I'll leave it at that. In summary, food quality - great!, variety - poor!

Summary:

This was our first time to Siem Reap and we haven't stayed in other properties but Anantara is clearly one of the best properties we've stayed in. The rooms are beautiful and tastefully done, the pool is great, spa is very relaxing with great service, and the staff just works very hard to please the guests! And compared to the prices you pay in some of the highly ranked properties in Siem Reap, Anantara is a sweet deal!

Room Tip: The resort offers multiple packages and itineraries to visit all the temples, sites, and tours. Look...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Chum Reap Sou

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa.

I appreciate that there are many choices in Siem Reap when looking for somewhere to stay and I am delighted that you chose our tranquil resort to celebrate your special occasion.

Our biggest asset is definitely our resort team and thank you for recognizing the exceptional service provided by our team. It is important to create the best impression from the outset and to read that we were attentive and prompt from the very beginning, with your queries and the warm welcome on arrival is very pleasing indeed

Our rooms are exceptional and i am pleased that you enjoyed the facilities and amenities of the resort. I note your comment on the variety of the food and will work with our culinary leader to ensure that we provide a better option for our guests

Your beautiful comments will be shared with our team and thank you once again for the recognition

Please feel free to contact me directly for future assistance on reservations and visit to Siem Reap