“Words can't describe the amazing experience”

Anantara Angkor Resort
Ranked #20 of 337 Hotels in Siem Reap
“Words can't describe the amazing experience”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

If you find yourself in Siem Reap you are probably there to see Angkor and after a full day of temple seeing there's nothing better than to arrive to a place where everyone is eager to please you and make you feel even better than in your own home.

The installations can use some renovation but the whole staff couldn't be better from the managers, the chef, to the drivers, housekeeping, butlers etc. Everyone is ready to make sure you are as happy as you can be and they definitely achieve it.

If we ever go back to Siem Reap we won't hesitate a minute about staying at the Angkor
Anantara again.

This was our first experience with Anantara and we were so delighted that at the end of our trip we decided to go to Chiang Mai and as soon as we knew there is an Anantara there we booked it without hesitating.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jhoana V
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this review, 9 September 2014

Chum reap sou!

Thank you for your lovely feedback here on Trip Advisor.

The team and I would like to thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor and share your amazing stay with us.

Our biggest asset is our associates and I am pleased that the whole team extended the Anantara hospitality and contributed to your memorable stay.

Your comments will be shared with the team and thank you once again for recognizing our wonderful team here at Anantara Angkor. I trust that your stay at our property in Chiang Mai continues your memorable experience of Anantara's heartfelt hospitality.

Please do contact me for any assistance required when planning a trip back here at Angkor or indeed at our other Anantara destinations

Kind regards

Socrates Alvaro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We only spent 3 nights here as part of a 2 week trip and were impressed by everything we encountered. We visited Angkor as part of our honeymoon 18 years earlier; this trip coincided with our anniversary and the staff went out of their way to make our anniversary a VERY SPECIAL day. Can't thank them enough for all they did!! This was also our first stay at an Anantara property, and it set a unique benchmark, offering Four Seasons level service and quality; while the price is much lower that a FS, the level of service was more personal and sincere.

We felt that the staff was genuinely interested and caring, and this was visible on many levels. We spoke with the head chef once or twice during each day of our stay, and saw him converse with every guest at some point during breakfast or walking around the pool. Vireak, the Butler Manager, communicated with us prior to arrival, met us at the airport and seemed to appear out of thin air whenever we were preparing to leave the hotel or upon return. But I'm getting ahead of myself here...

We were greeted at the airport in a Lexus GX and offered cool towels and drinks before arriving at the hotel (5 minutes later) where we got more cool towels and local drinks, We were escorted to our massive suite and had a traditional foot bath in the suite's outdoor entryway. This ritual was soothing and helped set the stage for the relaxing vibe of the property. The room was all about "understated elegance" with rich wood and stone floors and local furnishings, including an oversized four-post bed, couch and desk. The bathtub was in a room separate from the rest of the bathroom, and included 2 mats for in-room massage. Sadly we never availed ourself of the spa or their services, but the room was impressive yet comfy, and well-maintained.

We spent afternoons at the comfortable pool where iced water and chilled fruit were periodically served, and enjoyed some pool-side food as well. We had a "western craving moment" and enjoyed huge (3/4 pound +) burgers and a club sandwich.

Our anniversary day began with a monk's water blessing over my wife, myself and our 16 YO daughter (they do this several days a week so its not a special arrangement). We then met with "Yous", the guide who had been arranged to lead us through the Angkor temple complex. Yous is a former teacher who also trains many future guides, and he takes great pride in explaining the history of Angkor, the kings, and construction processes of the temples - he really "brought to life" what we were seeing. Huge bonuses are his timing - which had us visit each temple when tourist traffic was at a daily low-point - and his photographic skills. He knew where we should stand to capture memorable photos and took many photos for us so all three of us were in many shots. Since the monsoon-season weather was nice, we asked to continue touring through lunchtime rather than going back to the hotel and returning the Angkor early afternoon, and Yous and our driver were more than accomodating, and appreciated our special request. It also goes to say that we had fresh waters and cool towels waiting every time we returned to the car. (Another Lexus RX).

Vareak had offered dining suggestions during our visit, and we chose to have our anniversary dinner at the hotel. We were given several suggested menus at varying price-points, and customized a 7 course menu for my wife and myself; the chef accommodated a shorter 4 course menu for our daughter, and a beautiful table was set in a private courtyard that was picture-perfect. Dinner was exquisite, both beautiful presented and tasteful. The big surprise was when we returned to our room. Candles lined the walkway to our room, the bathtub had been filled and set with plumeria flowers, a lily bouquet was set adjacent to a chilled bottle of champagne - The room was beautiful, and you could see the pride the staff took in decorating the room when we met and thanked them the following morning.

A full western and Asian buffet was included in the room rate and we found these satisfying and fulfilling. Xerox mini-copies of international newspapers are available if you wish to connect with reality back home. As others note, the hotel offers complimentary tuk-tuk or car rides between the hotel and city-center, 4-5 minutes away

This is a special hotel led by a team - whether the GM, Ops Mgr, Guest Svc or Butler Mgr - who lead a staff that is dedicated to making everyone feel special. Again, we saw them all speaking with guests daily, and the entire staff exudes a sense of caring, helpfulness.

I can't recommend this property enough to readers.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms with direct pool access seem like the better play to me.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank davidandrose1

Chum reap sou!

Thank you for your wonderful feedback of your experience here at Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa.

I am very thankful to receive such comments and recognition of our facilities and more importantly our associates here at Anantara Angkor.

The team and I are delighted that we were able to contribute to your special occasion, being aware of the significance of your stay after your last visit almost 20 years ago, I am delighted that you leave once again with a memorable experience

As a smaller property, a lot of emphasis is placed on offering a very personalized service to our guests and having a good understanding of what our guests expects and will appreciate. I am very happy to read that our team's recommendations were spot on and were on hand at all times to assist.

Thank you once again for recognizing our resort and our associates in such a way.

Please do contact me for future plans to visit the Kingdom of Wonder, be it a colleague or family member and we will only be delighted to extend our warmest welcome

Best regards

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Great hospitality, very pleasant stay in Angkor with family and friends. Love the activity and facility provided in hotel. Special thanks to Olivia who has been take care of us for the week.
工作人員親切友善的服務,前台服務人員和經理們都能立即妥善回應需求。
飯店內的活動與設施也很充足,預約制的嘟嘟車服務品質相當優良,免去在街上自己招車的困擾。

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Annie H

Chum reap sou!

Thank you for sharing your experience here at Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa.

I am delighted that you had a lovely stay with us.

I shall share your comments with the team and please do let me know if I could be of assistance at anytime in future for any plans for return visit

Avignon, France
Reviewed 22 July 2014

A first visit to Cambodia in such a peaceful environment.
The trip from the airport was enjoyable, the arrival at the hotel still uncertain as I did not think it was located close to the city... but the first steps into the property helped me to feel so relax, pampered and welcomed.
The property itself is enjoyable, the staff very welcoming and providing excellent service. The dinner was great, the spa treatment really relaxing.
THANK YOU TO EVERYBODY, with a special mention to Socrates, the General Manager, who managed all this troupe so greatly.

Room Tip: The rooms on the ground floor are really delightful.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Ruben U
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Chum Reap Sou and a warm greetings from Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa.

Thank you for your lovely feedback of our resort.

Our culinary and Spa team in particular will be delighted to receive your feedback and I am pleased that you enjoyed our facilities.

Certainly our resort is very well located within close proximity to key places without being in the middle of the hustle and bustle and allows you to relax after a day of exploring this wonderful destination.

Your comments will be shared with the resort team and It was a pleasure to have hosted you.

Please do let me know if I could be of assistance in the future

NSW
Reviewed 22 July 2014

In the past few years of travelling, I have passed through many hotels, and the Anantara properties - in Bangkok, Chiang Rai and Hua Hin - have particularly impressed me for the standard of accommodation and service.
But this resort at Angkor in Siem Reap became a favourite due to one great detail - its size. It includes the great standard of service from other Anantara hotels but what I loved most is that it is a boutique property, without being tiny, and yet big enough to have all services at the ready when needed. It also felt private and secluded and like a welcome step off the busy Cambodian roads after after 8 days of being on a tour from Phnom Penh. I felt I got my breath back here.
The hotel is built around a central pool, which is the real showpiece of this property and it offers every room (only about 35 of them I think) a great outlook. I did spend most of my time by the pool and one thing I did love about returning to my room was the outside shower attached to the room - very private but a nice touch after a day in the sun.
The fittings in the room were also of high standard, with everything that I need already already thought of. If you want some luxury along with all your favourite high-end comforts when travelling, then this luxurious hotel fitted the bill perfectly.
Another bonus about this hotel was its location. It is within minutes to the airport (but without any of the noise), about eight minutes to the town centre of SR and about 15 minutes to Angkor Wat. Nothing was a hassle to get to and with a tuk tuk driver on hand for hotel guests, along with the luxury of a private car and driver, there were always lots of options to get around this area. And how nice that when after dinner at the hotel, all I had to do was sms the tuk tuk driver and he was waiting to return me to the hotel. Very easy.
The GM Alvaro and head chef Mr Crabbe both came out to extend a warm welcome, and were full of good advice on how to make the best of the area. But be sure to take Mr Alvaro's advice about taking in Angkor Wat at sunset. I had already been on a sunrise tour and felt I had seen enough, but due to his insistence, I returned to see it at sunset and was so glad I did. About 90 per cent of the crowds were gone, the colours were so very different and it was a most serene time to see one of the best features of South East Asia.
The Anantara Angkor Wat was the last stop in Cambodia and it left such a great final impression of this fascinating country. It was charming in every respect and the luxury was worth the rate. From arrival to farewell, this hotel scored highly in every single respect. This is a rave review as the place deserved it. I was sad to leave this resort as well as Cambodia, but I will be back - you will probably find me by the pool finishing off my book.

Room Tip: Just ask the great staff politely
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank EasytravelSydney
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Chum Reap Sou!

Warm greetings from Kingdom of Wonder and thank you for your gracious and exceptional feedback of your experience here at Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa and the Angkor archaeological park as a destination.

I am very proud of our team and our tranquil resort, with the elegant, spacious rooms and the sanctuary of the courtyard saltwater pool. I am delighted that you enjoyed these facilities.

Our resort indeed is the perfect antidote after a day out exploring this wonderful destination.

Thank you for your recognition of our service and facilities overall. This is highly appreciated considering the many other destinations and properties you visit.

The team and I look forward to having another opportunity to welcome you back and should you have friends/colleagues planning a visit here, please do contact me directly and it will be my pleasure to extend assistance.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2014

It was our first trip to Cambodia and this hotel and its staff made the whole trip exceptionally enjoyable. The service at this hotel was impeccable from start to finish.

The hotel arranged for a return airport pick-up and drop-off service. From the moment we met our butler and driver, we were greeted with cold towels, a refreshing drink, and a friendly and informative introduction to Siem Reap.

At the hotel, we were received by Peter, the operations manager. Peter made us feel ever welcome and comfortable at the resort and catered to our every need during our time there. He made it a priority to ensure that we were prepared for our day ahead. Be it by giving us advice of places to eat or providing us with a guest phone for us to call the resort. It was always comforting to know that we were taken care of during our stay at the resort.

As for the rest of the staff, we could not be any more pleased with the level of quality and dedication to service that the staff at the resort possessed. Everyone we encountered greeted us with a warm smile and any issues we encountered were immediately taken care of. I have never experienced such amazing service.

Housekeeping was excellent. Every evening, we would arrive back at the room with clean sheets and towels that made us immediately forget our exhaustion from touring. We would always find a greeting card and gift which made the stay all the more personal. The hotel's nightly bed turn-down service was also a pleasant surprise.

Breakfast consisted of a small buffet table consisting of breads, cheeses, fruits and juices. This was complemented with an a-la-carte breakfast menu with both international and local offerings. The highlight of breakfast was the Noodle Soup and the Fried Noodles. My partner and I both had a second helping each on our last day.

Although the resort is slightly further away from the city as compared to other accommodations, this was hardly a problem as the resort offers free shuttle services to and from the city by tuk tuk or car. This was certainly the highlight of our trip. The tuk tuk drivers were ever ready to pick us up at a moments notice no matter what the time of day was. They made it their top priority to see that we got to our destination and made sure we had some way of finding a way back to the resort. Even if this meant calling them at unusual hours of the night. Meeting such dedicated individuals was already an experience in itself and I'm so glad to have been able to meet and interact with them.

All in all, we are so happy with our decision to stay at this resort and will do so again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geraldine T

Chum Reap Sou

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience here at Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa. I am delighted to read your feedback and the exceptional service that our team provided.

I am pleased that we were able to contribute to your memorable holiday and that you experienced the Anantara spirit of hospitality.

Our team will be very proud to read your comments and highly appreciate your recognition of the team, from the welcome and indeed throughout your stay

Should your future journeys ever take you back here or you have any colleagues or friends visiting, please feel free to contact me and it will be my pleasure to assist

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Excellent Resort. Beautiful rooms.. Service was Superb, amazinggggggg... The staff is so warm and attentive. They remember all the guests by their first name and greet u wenever u come across them. Also the chef is so friendly and kind. We were 6 of us, and we had told them in advance that we are PURE-VEGETARIAN- JAINS so when we reached there, he came upto us and surprisingly, he had his homework so well that he knew everything abt wat we eat and do not eat. He even went to the extent of giving us some suggestions abt which restaurants wld give us food as per our requirements and wat he can offer. The Manager Mr. Peter, is from India- goa only. So even he suggested us wat to do and how to roam abt here. The resort has rooms on the groud floor with water balcony, as in a little water body which is attached to the balcony. it has 2 mattresses and a table, so u can sit with ur legs sub-merged in water. u can have food there. We stayed there for 2 nights. The staff was so nice and friendly that on the 1st day they had given us rooms on 1st floor, but when we requested to give us those rooms with water balcony on the ground floor, they didn't hesitate at all. As there were a few rooms available, we shifted down on the next day. The weather was also so beautiful, that it gave us more reasonto enjoy the hotel facilities like the swimming pool. Since not many guests were there as we had gone in Off season, we cld have the whole pool to ourselves and plus it rained also at the same time.... Also they have free tuk-tuk rides incase if we want to go somewhere. Also its very nearby from the Airport. hardly 10-15 min.

Room Tip: U shld prefer the rooms on the ground floor with water-balcony... they are the best....
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor.

Your recognition of our outstanding and memorable service experience is highly appreciated and on that the resort team will be proud of.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed the facilities that the resort has to offer, the refreshing salt water pool and our elegant and spacious rooms.

We do receive specific dietary requirements during guests stay and I am pleased that our Chef were able to exceed your expectations

Your comments will be shared with the team and thank you once again for taking your time and for choosing Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa