“You're in good hands at the Central Boutique”

Central Boutique Angkor Hotel
Ranked #82 of 342 Hotels in Siem Reap
San Diego, California
“You're in good hands at the Central Boutique”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

A friend and I stayed at the Central stayed at the Central Boutique Angkor Hotel for three nights at the end of march. It was wonderful. They arranged for a tuk tuk driver to pick us up at the airport, and he was there even though our plane arrived more than an hour late. The name of the driver was, Mr. Chea Mony. (But I'll get back to him later.) We arrived at the hotel around midnight and we were greeted by the night manager, Mr. Chhonng Lay. Mr. Lay was a soft-spoken, kind individual who immediately made us feel at home. He promptly led us to our room and we were both suprised by its size and comfort (especially the deep bathtub). Everything--the AC, the TV, the roomsafe--worked fine. The next day we tried the breakfast and everything was excellent. The french toast was so good that you don't even have to put syrup or honey on it. However, much like many things in Cambodia, the food took a backseat to the people that cooked and served it. They were kind people with kind faces, which is something that is hard to find back in the states. Before I booked a reservation at the hotel, I had read all of the reviews, so when I showed up I was skeptical. But let me tell you, I am now conviced that the negative reviews were written by people who (1) are either used to staying in five-star hotels or (2) are unfamilar with the political and socioeconomic history in Cambodia. In some ways, the Central Boutique serves as a metaphor for the country. I went to Cambodia expecting to be blown away by the Temples of Angkor, but in retrospect what I remember the most are the smiles on the faces of the staff at the Central Boutique, the gentle greetings by the breakfast crew in the mornings, and the late night conversations with the night manager, Mr. Lay, who I learned so much about the country from, and now consider a friend. The location of the hotel is good, but considering that you can purchase a tuk tuk driver for $15 dollars a day even that is not even a factor (unless you're plan on walking everywhere in the humid heat). There are two cold pools on the property that were nice to take a dip in after trekking through the temples. The property also has a nice little garden. The beds were firm, but comfortable (like most beds in SE Asia) and there were no complications whatsoever during our stay. Everything was great. I'll never forget the staff. I'll never forget Mr. Lay. And I'll never forget the tuk tuk driver that the hotel gave me, MR. CHEA MONY. Like so many other Khmer people, Mr. Mony is soft and genuine. Having taken many tuk tuk drivers in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap (where haggling can quickly become tiresome) Mr. Mony is one of the most special people I have ever met. My friend and I loved him so much that after the Siem Reap to spend three days in Phnom, when we returned to the Siem Reap we spent the whole day just driving around the city so we could spend time with him. His english is not the greatest (but good enough), but what he lacks in words he makes up for in action. We ate lunch with him everyday and the places he recommended to us for Khmer Cuisine were excellent (especially the Amok Chicken). He took us to our airport when it was time to go, and my friend and I were terribly sad because it felt like we were leaving a friend behind, and we were. Fortunately I was able to obtain his telephone number and I am going to stay in contact with him and much of the hotel staff in the future. The fact that the hotel has these type of people working there is all you need to know. You are in good hands and the Central Boutique. Cambodia is a place that is much more than its horrible past, and its amazing temples. It is the children outside of the temples, the tuk tuk drivers, the smell in the markets, the monks, the people like Chhong Lay, the people like my friend, Mony. So if you need a place to stay in Siem Reap, I recommend staying here. I will never forget the staff. Never. The great temples of Angkor slowly fade into the background whenever I think of them.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a backside balcony.
3 Thank Keith A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Thank you to the staff at Central Boutique Angkor, Siem Reap. Everything about my stay was excellent right from the wonderful staff, to the beautifull surroundings, the lovely Tuk Tuk drivers, the restaurant food and the proximity to the centre of town yet tucked away in a quiet peacefull area. For the price of this little gem you can't go wrong.

Room Tip: Lower floors then you don't have to climb the stairs.
1 Thank shand1959
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Lovely little place with helpful and friendly staff .. always smiling! Breakfast was adequate for a budget hotel, 2 swimming pools, beautiful garden. The room we had was spacious, right infront of the swimming pool and the sheets were changed each day. Will be back!

Earth, Texas
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I was looking for a hotel comfortable walking distance to town with a swimming pool. If you want to walk, it will not be a pleasant walk along the dirt road and vehicles zooming around and with tuk tuk drivers harassing you for business along the way. The unpleasant walk would have taken 10-15 mins, not 5 mins like what some less than honest reviewers said. Tuk tuk driver needed for ride to town, as the walk is impossible as explained above. Breakfast is the same every morning, not much variety. I only like the mangoes. No bacon.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Daisypond
Calgary, AB
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My husband and I, along with 2 friends, stayed here in March 2012 after reading tripadvisor and guidebook reviews and we were not disappointed. On our arrival at the airport the hotel's driver was waiting for us to help with our luggage and the transfer into the city. Once at the hotel we were checked-in promptly, and when it was realized that one of the rooms was the wrong bed layout the staff immediately solved the issue and moved our friends into the king-bed room requested. The rooms were spotless, the beds comfortable, and the amenities were excellent for the low $40USD price.
Breakfast each day had lots of options, including early take-away service if you want to go to the temples before dawn. Coming back to the hotel in the heat of the day was an absolute treat - the two pools meant there was always room for us to have deck chairs for 4 and the pool area was clean and the gardens well taken care of. We had lunch at the restaurant a few times as well as afternoon drinks and always received friendly and prompt service, as well as good quality and tasty food.
The staff was accommodating and able to help us out with any request we made.
For the value of this hotel you can't go wrong. I have been in Siem Reap two times previously, once in a guesthouse and the other time in a higher end boutique hotel (4x the price), and I will absolutely recommend Central Boutique Angkor Hotel to anyone travelling to the area.

Room Tip: Be sure to confirm the bed layout if booking directly with the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
world
Reviewed 25 March 2012

A friend recommended this hotel. Good choice. Quiet location while being in walking distance from city center. Otherwise a short tuk-tuk ride away is sufficient. Good breakfast but same everyday may make it boring after day 2. friendly local staff.

• Stayed March 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 March 2012

You know how it is ... you have to book into a hotel at the last minute and you're not too sure if you've done the right thing. Well I certainly did do the right thing when I booked in here. The first thing that attracted me were the rates, then I looked at the photos and wondered if it really did look that good, you're always a little wary about these things especially when travelling alone, but I was not disappointed. When I arrived at Siem Reap Airport, the hotel driver was there waiting despite my flight being 2 hrs late. He was friendly and drove me to the hotel, I was a bit worried when I saw the small dirt track alley that we drove up in the dark, but was very pleasantly surprised by what greeted me. Friendly and professional staff who showed me to a very comfortable, clean and secure room (rm 201) that overlooked a picturesque pool and garden. The room was air-conditioned and had a minibar (so cheap too), a safe and a flat screen TV and a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was clean and well presented. In the morning the breakfast buffet was fine, with a reasonable range of available foods. When I next visit Siem Reap I will definitely stay here again, as it is also very close to the markets and shopping areas.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo