“I felt like I was at home...”

Angkor Spirit Palace
Ranked #170 of 338 Hotels in Siem Reap
Perth, Australia
“I felt like I was at home...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2011

Staying at Angkor Spirit Palace was the best hotel experience have ever encountered. The hotel itself is located about a 5-10min trip, by tuk tuk, from the main town area of Siem Reap, but the hotel kindly offers a free tuk tuk service to all guests, to and from the town until approximately 10pm every night. There is a large swimming pool available for use and free pool table usage. There is also free internet and free wifi available. A laundry service is also available for a small fee. There is a large restaurant located on the roof of the building, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner daily and offering both Western and Khmer food. The restaurant also offers the option of room service. The view from the restaurant is also amazing, offering a spectacular view of the sunrise and sunset. The hotel also has tour packages available to all main sightseeing locations, with reliable and very friendly tuk tuk drivers.

I had a large, comfortable room to myself, with en suite, large cupboard, fridge, TV and sitting area. The rooms are spacious, well furnished and incredibly comfortable. The hotel has two levels of rooms, boasting large rooms that could quite comfortably suit a family. They also offer suite rooms. The rooms were always clean, and well looked after with the furniture (beds etc) all in excellent condition and very comfortable.

The staff at Angkor Spirit are amazing! They made me feel at home and part of the family. I have never met so many amazing people who looked after me so well and I can now call my friends. It was sad leaving all the wonderful people whom I had befriended while on my stay. They made my stay a time that I will never forget. Very professional, efficient and incredibly friendly and kind. I have never been so well looked after in a hotel. Thank you to everyone at Angkor Spirit!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MikeGeff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
Seoul Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2011

A wonderful hotel located a little on the outskirts of town but that's what made it so charming. The hotel provides a free tuk tuk service for drop off and pick up. The staff is so friendly and accomodating, don't hesitate to ask about attractions and any needs you have. The rooms are spacious and clean, with AC, basic cable , and a nice bathroom. Breakfast overlooks the rice paddies and is delicious,you can choose between Khmer food or Western style breakfast. I travelled with my mom and we both loved this hotel. After the temples and downtown area, it's nice to unwind in a quiet place like Angkor Spirit Palace. There is free internet, albeit a little slow, and a swimming pool. Stay here if you can

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2011

Angkor temples are magical. To this day, 1 month on, I can still hear the Khmer drums heralding the sunrise while watching the sun dawned another day over Angkor Wat. I heard it again the morning I left SR from outside my room in Angkor Spirit.
Arriving in SR from Phnom Penh with husband and 2 University going children, my mind was a confusion of what to see first, what to do ( to please everyone) and can we see it all, enough time for bonding etc...
All this was taken care of as soon as we got into Angkor Spirit. First, a refreshing welcome drink ( very welcoming after a 6 hr bus journey), then a very prompt check in. After settling into the room, went to see Girath, the manager, who sat down to discuss itinerary, cost etc and within 20mins all was planned. 5 days of transport to all places we wanted to see ( Angkor temples, Kbal Spean, Beng Melea, Kompong Kleang incl sunrise and sunset watching) all at a very reasonable price. I must say more reasonable than what I checked out on many sites on the web. Even recommeneded a very reasonable Apsara performance with buffet dinner for that very evening at Kulen 2. Buffet was great, a huge spread with plenty of choices and the performance was very entertaining. Girath even managed to get great tables for us. Thank you Girath.
A more delightful surprise awaited us the next morning. Mr Khim the owner, was to be our driver the next few days. With his local knowledge, we got to save on entrance fees, avoided crowds and saw more than we planned for. We even managed to include the Culture Village, the Silk Farm and Tonle Sap lake (which we did not plan for) all within the time and budget. He knew local restaurants near the temples, so no need for long detours ( he had our itinerary pact on target and adjusted accordingly) and one particularly good one was outside Banteay Srei. With a French trained chef, the food was excellent. Thank you Mr Khim for being so patient ( there were many times when awed by the temples we took much longer and our day extended beyond the normal times) for being our friend and for keeping us well hydrated with a constant supply of water on our tours and organising all the little nitty details that made our stay so much more hassle free.
Angkor Spirit was first built to be an Apsara Dance school. The ambience and decor of Angkor Spirit is an extension of the surrounding ancient temples with all the comforts of modern amenities. Being a little out of town adds to this ambience but proofed no hassle as there is always a free tuk tuk waiting to bring you to town and even to fetch you back. The restaurant is not to be missed either. The French trained chef in the evening cooks a mean steak and a five star Banana Flambe with pancakes. The pancakes were divine. Staff at the restaurant whether for breakfast or dinner were attentive and made sure we were very comfortable. Fans were placed at the right places so that the ubiquitous mosquitoes did not have a feast as well.
Thank you, Angkor Spirit Palace. It was a magical journey!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2011

First time in Siem Reap for work/holiday. The staff were extremely attentive and knew me by name. I felt very safe traveling solo and as female. The hotel was fully booked and I had a room facing the carpark, which was still very quiet. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Pretoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

As a family, we were very satisfied throughout our week-long stay. The hotel is clean and well kept, and being well off the main strip of development in Siem Reap it is relatively quiet. The small restaurant on the top floor was inexpensive with very good food. The hotel provides pick-up from the airport and free transport to and from the center of town. Very good value for money!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2011

This is a modest priced, quiet hotel, set in its own gardens, out of town (about 2 kms) with a view of fields. The rooms are large but simply furnished. The beds are very comfortable. The breakfast room is on the top floor with a wide view over the nearby countryside. The pool is a great asset. The staff are very helpful. They have tuk-tuk drivers to take you into town and on excursions to the ruins, all charged at normal rates. A very pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Sasebo, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

My husband and 2 small children (3 & 6) stayed an ASP the last week of December. We booked directly with the hotel and recieved a package of free airport transfer and daily breakfast. When we arrived at 11:00pm to the airport, a tuk tuk driver was there to pick us up. I was apprehensive as I didn't believe that 4 suitcases and 4 people would fit on this tuk tuk, but it's Cambodia and they know how to pile a lot of people in a vehicle. It was an exciting introduction to the country.

At the hotel, our check in was quick and smooth. We stayed in the larger Angkor room. There was a lizard on the wall of our room the first night, but I had to remind myself that it is the ambiance and this isn't a resort. It was pretty bug-free during most of our stay, so maybe the lizards/geckos running around is a benefit to that. We met several couples and talked with other patrons during our stay and I think the verdict about ASP is this:

This hotel could be so much more if they just fixed the things that were broken.
Yes, the windows need glass.
Yes, the pool chairs and umbrellas need to be replaced
Yes, they need toilet lids that stay attached and showers that don't flood the room
AND, they need to use the bar on the ground level instead of having the pool waitstaff go up and down the stairs from the restaurant to the pool causing very slow service at the pool.

If Mr. Khim just fixed these things, he could charge twice as much for this hip little hotel and we would still return! Our kids loved the pool and loved our tuk tuk driver, Setty. Everyday that we explored the temples or shopped, the kids would ask "Where's Setty?" The housekeeping staff played with our children and were always smiling.

The night that we left Siem Reap was New Year's Eve. The hotel staff provided a cow, and the tuk tuk drivers provided the beer. The entire hotel was invited as part of our stay. Plus, our tuk tuk driver left the party in order to take us to the airport.

If you are looking for a resort stay in Siem Reap--go to a resort. There are plenty to choose from. If you want a boutique hotel that is worth more than what you pay, Stay here!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family