“Wonderful oasis in Siem Reap”
Review of My Home Cambodia

My Home Cambodia
Ranked #139 of 331 Speciality Lodging in Siem Reap
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Lonely Planet's "Top Choice". Valid. As Lonely Planet says, "Offering hotel standards at guesthouse prices." Fanned room was fine, no A/C was needed. VERY clean with daily maid cleaning of room. Nice little restaurant with breakfast included. We were there just before Christmas, so staff wore Santa hats which was kind of cute. Staff were SO attentive and genuine. Fixed us up with a wonderful all-day, 12-hour tour guide for Angkor Wat: Mr. Vanna Chean 855-12 41 48 59 aka "Borei Khmer Angkor" on Facebook. Tell him we sent you. Guest house sent tuk tuk driver to meet us at airport, then we hired him for "Angkor Wat day", as well as another full day: Mr. Vuth 012-921787 or 097-8787760. Just ask for Mr. Vuth by name through the guesthouse. He loves his country. Both Mr. Vuth and Mr. Chean will readily tell you their backgrounds and how the Khmer Rouge affected their families.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Ratana5793, Manager at My Home Cambodia, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear USAF-Pilot-Lady,

Warmest greetings from My Home Cambodia,

Thank you very much for taking your valued time to leave a comment following your recent stay at My Home Cambodia.

On behalf of management and team at My Home Cambodia, we are so delighted to hear that you had enjoyed with our service ,facilities and hospitality . We are very much appreciated and looking forward to having a pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Really bad experience overall. Booked for 4 nights and was offered free pick up but when I emailed to say where I was arriving they said said they didn't know where it was despite it been one of the main bus drop offs so I got a tuk tuk. I was asked to pay upfront on arrival which I did I did have a quick look at the room and as first glance it was basic but ok. When I got in there and had a good look around I was shocked at the level of cleanliness the bathroom was filthy and the shower looked like an accident waiting to happen lose wire hanging from an electric shower...
The sheets and pillows where dirty. I was woken up constantly dogs barking and then at 5am tuk tuk drivers and vendors starting playing music... I asked to moved I a different room the 2nd room was just as bed the pillows where even more dirty with lots of hairs that where not mine. The AC didn't work I complained and the front desk and the guy couldn't really give a damn and had a terribly attitude. I then walked down the road and found another hotel that was only slightly more expensive but clean and has lovely rooms. On checking out I asked to be refunded 2 nights I was wiling to pay for the 2nd night despite not staying there this involved lots of phone calls and a lot of time they offered me $20 I tool them it was disgusting the way they didn't take my complaints seriously and where so dismissive. I took my $20 and left. Don't stay here it is not hygienic and a health hazard coupled with very bad customer service

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Jen0211
Reviewed 18 December 2013

- We stayed here for about two weeks at the end of November
- the hotel was very secure - security guard at night and multiple staff always on duty
- the pool was excellent - tucked in the back of the hotel property it was away from the sounds of the busy main street. Felt like an oasis.
- I believe the owners live in a house behind the hotel and pool. They take great care of the properties lovely lush gardens.
- food was alright at the hotel, beer was a little warm from the fridge outside
- room was cleaned everyday

Room Tip: You can walk to pub street and back no problem, takes about 7-10 minutes
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Ratana5793, Manager at My Home Cambodia, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Clubine,

Warmest greetings from My Home Cambodia,

On behalf of management and team at My Home Cambodia, we are so delighted to hear that you had enjoyed with our facilities and hospitality . We are very much appreciated and looking forward to having a pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

This was an incredible value compared to other places we have stayed for a similar price. The nicest feature is a big,, clean pool in a secluded area behind the hotel with lounge chairs, so it has a resort feel even though it has a budget price. The pool was great for relaxing after seeing the temples! It even has a bar to order drinks or food right at the pool. The hotel has a restaurant surrounded by a garden, so it feels secluded even though it's off of a busy street in Siem Reap. The breakfast included with the room was also much more than a typical basic breakfast, with the option to get eggs prepared several different ways with toast and coffee or tea. The rooms are cleaned everyday and 2 small bottles of water are provided each day. They also have TVs with cable channels, decent sized washrooms, wardrobe, and desk. Wifi is available at the pool, restaurant, lobby, and sometimes in the room and there are also computers to use in the lobby area - and we were even able to print out some travel documents for free which was nice.

The staff were all very friendly and professional.

The only downside might be that it is not right downtown, but it is a pretty quick walk (about 10 minutes from Pub Street) or you could take a tuk tuk.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carolyn M

Dear Carolyn M,

Reviewed 9 December 2013

This was the first place I stayed after being in a rural Orphanage in Siem Reap in Cambodia. As you can imagine I hadn't been staying the most luxurios of places. When arriving here I thought I had died and gone to heaven! We were welcomed with cold towels and a cold glass of water, the staff were lovely and very helpful throughout our stay.
The place was spotless, our rooms were cleaned every day. The pool was also lovely, and here they supply a laundry service and massages! Which I did both. The food was nice and reasonably priced. Also breakfast was included in our stay. I think we payed around $10 a night for a twin room.
I would definately stay here again, as it is out the way of the noisey streets and is a lovely, relaxed hotel for only around £7.50 a night for two people with breakfast!

Room Tip: There are a few flights of stairs so maybe ask for a lower floor if you dont fancy the treck
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tilly L
Ratana5793, Manager at My Home Cambodia, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Tilly_little,

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We booked our hotel late in Siem Ream and as a result- didn't get where we would have liked and instead stayed here.
It is very clean, with a very clean pool that is was warm from being in the sun all day. Rooms are cleaned daily and there is free water and pick-up from the bus/ airport etc. One odd thing was the hotel playing music right outside our room from about 7am. Annoying but happened two days of 6 only.
The breakfast is nice but expect to pay an extra 50c if you want milk in your coffee or tea. Didn't bother me particularly, I just think it should come with your tea or coffee as standard! We found the breakfast to be of a sufficient size to last us until lunchtime but with little variety (omelette and roll everyday!).
It is about a 10 minute walk into town (we had wanted to stay closer) but actually it was not too bad.
We only ate here once (other than breakfast) and although MUCH cheaper than eating in the main town, the food was very average and we wouldn't have repeated the experience.

We did use a tuk-tuk driver (Ly Heng) from the hotel for visiting the temples and he was OK although probably a bit overpriced. Without knowing the area its impossible to know whether you are getting value for money though!
He borrowed money from us for petrol and when we took a sunrise trip he changed the price once we got to the park- very annoying! If that had not been our last day I would not have used him again and don't really recommend him.

The staff NEVER had change. You literally could not buy a bottle of water with a $5 note. Don't worry though, go across the road where its cheaper and they have change all the time.
Finally, unlike everywhere else we stayed, you had to pay everything as you went- no adding beer or water to the room. This is fine but slightly irritating if you want to pay for everything by credit card (and they don't have any change when you do want to buy something!)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Ratana5793, Manager at My Home Cambodia, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Dear Cazza900,

We sincere apology for the music which annoyed you in the morning.

To clear up any misunderstanding about the breakfast. As you seen in the menu, our hostel offer only some item in the menu which included with accommodation. We are not the 4 star or 5 star hotel, so our breakfast is not the most variety as your thinking.

For the Tuk Tuk Driver, their task is starting from 6AM to 5PM . If you prefer to see sunrise our driver will charge you more than normal price (3$ or 5$ more).

Its really much concerned with me when you mentioned that our staff haven’t change even 5$ note.
Actually, we can go the change the money outside for you if you can wait.

We highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do and The Hostel is actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.

It is our goal to retain you as a satisfy customer and we hope that we can serve you again in the near future.

best regards,
ratana

Reviewed 11 November 2013

this place was very nice and welcoming. airport pickup on time, small garden restaurant with good food variety, clean and the pool, the POOL. we were planned to stay for 5 nights and stayed for 7 due to an accident to my fellow traveler. it is far from the loud traffic but a 5 min walk to downtown so ideal combination. i heard that you can rent bikes for free too until sunset but ddnt take advantage of that. and no carefew!

i paid 20$ per night for a room with one double bed and one single, and made good use of the restaurant since my friend could not move a lot and the service was impeccable.

all in all very enjoyable stay and if i ever get to Siem Reap again i would definitly stay there

Room Tip: - take a room with a window -find a do not disturb sign from somewhere since if you oversleep then...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo