“utterly terrible experience”

My Home Cambodia
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
“utterly terrible experience”
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

We booked to stay at 'my home', having heard good things from tripadvisor and lonely planet, deciding to splurge a little after months of travel on this place, largely due to its pool. We were greeted at the airport by a tuk tuk driver from 'my home', and taken into town. Upon arrival, we were shown to one of the worst rooms we have seen in five months' travel in asia, but at one of the highest prices asked for. The room was ground floor, windowless, airless, dark, damp and dank. The stench was putrid and the bedsheets mottled with stains. We asked whether there were any alternatives, which we were told would be available the following day. We didn't arrive until around 10:30PM. Due to this late arrival, we were clearly given the last room available, that no one else had taken, despite booking three or four days in advance. When we questioned the price ($25, hugely overpriced), we were told that 'everyone pays this rate' and to speak to the manager in the morning, but that we must pay $25 up front. Whilst we appreciate that the manager may have final say, the receptionist did not appease the situation and was rather rude and abrupt, with a 'like it or lump it' attitude. When we decided to leave and try elsewhere, the receptionist asked 'so this is your behaviour?' In a snotty and arrogant tone, which i found completely unacceptable. The room available, and service encountered, were shockingly bad. One further thing. Whilst waiting to be shown to the room, i read a couple of recommendations in the suggestions book on the counter. The damp and the smell of the ground floor rooms had been mentioned. Clearly no notice had been taken of this suggestion, and I doubt any notice will be taken of this.

The worst first impression of a country I have ever had.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Layla G
Ratana5793, Manager at My Home Cambodia, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Layla G,

Firstly, On behalf of The Management of My Home Villa I would like to thank for your bringing this matter to our attention and please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenient which caused you during stay with us.

We highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do and The Hotel is actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.

It is our goal to retain you as a satisfy customer and We hope that we can serve you again in the near future.

best regards,
Kong Ratana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
wales
Reviewed 1 March 2014

'If you can't say something good,say nothing at all' my mum used to say.Not,however, very helpful in a review. The hotel is located 10-15 minutes walk from the central area,depending on how fast you walk.At night the walk is unlit and boasts occasional barking dogs.
I arrived at the hotel early and waited 90 minutes without being offered a glass of water.The room was clean,large ,with a comfortable double bed.On arrival,there was no lead for the fridge and no TV remote. Trudged 3 storeys to reception to acquire above.Was given TV remote with no batteries.Incidentally,the TV was fairly ancient with poor reception and few English channels.Wi fi was intermittent and weak on the third floor.The towels were made of some weird synthetic material which glides across the skin with little absorbency.
However,the pool is pleasant,the room was efficiently cleaned daily and the staff generally friendly.Breakfast rather frugal bread,eggs,tea,coffee.
Despite the negatives,there are likeable aspects to the hotel.New towels,TV's and a little more attention to customer service would work wonders.As present,at this price,you can do much better.

Room Tip: Lower floor if unfit
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dear Anthony11234354567,

Thank you very much for taking your valued time to leave a comment following your recent stay at My Home Villa.

On behalf of The Management of My Home Villa, I would like to thank for your bringing this matter to our attention and please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenient which caused you during stay with us. We work hard on those issues every day in order to change.

We highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us to improve the service levels.

It is our goal to retain you as a satisfy customer and we hope that we can serve you again in the near future.

best regards,
Petaluma, California, United States
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We had a great stay at My Home Villa. The room was comfortable and quiet and the staff was very friendly. The pool is a great bonus! The hotel is located a short walk from Pub Street. Highly recommend My Home!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Ratana5793, Manager at My Home Cambodia, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Dave H,

Warmest greetings from My Home Cambodia,

On behalf of management and team at My Home Cambodia, we are so delighted to hear that you had enjoyed with our service ,facilities and hospitality .

We are very much appreciated and looking forward to having a pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.

Zhengzhou, China
Reviewed 20 February 2014

What a horrible stay here in Siem Reap! Don't believe the hype, other reviews and Lonely Planet! We stayed here in early February and had our passports stolen from my wife's purse right in the restaurant in broad daylight. The hotel did not want to take any responsibility or ownership of the situation and conveniently the CCTV cameras were not working that day - but on the day we checked out that's a different story...also in Cambodia in order for the police to investigate they need to ask the hotel to investigate - backwards I know, and also guaranteed to lead to a stalemate at best as management covers their butt and vouch for their employees. Overall a horrible situation made worse by stonewalling on the part of the workers, management and ownership of My Home Garden Villa. Stay far away from here.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank JRock55
Ratana5793, General Manager at My Home Cambodia, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear James Meagher

Thanks you very much for your comment. Anyway pleas think about the same situation happen to your place when your guest 100% accuse your staff ( and the was accused is the very close person to my family, he stayed with us for more than 4 years and always got good comment from our guest of being helpful, friendly and honest etc........ ) . Imagine again what should we stole your passport, what we can use with your passport? Are we able to sell your passport for any money? Do we able to use your passport to travel instead of you? you said you have left your thing in the restaurant and enjoy the pool swimming for almost 3 hours then you go to police office and accused us of stolen your thing. And even of police office, you are not really 100% sure if you really left in the restaurant of our hotel or not. CCTV camera was broken down on the day before the situation happened, this is a very sad thing for us that we could not prove you the we were announcers, but“Accusing” us of stolen your passport is really NOT fair for us.

An other hand, in each every room, there is a notice advising all value thing are encouraged to place in our central “ Safe Box ” and this is 100% guaranteed that NOTHING will be happen to your belonging, so why not you leave those thing with us in our SAFE BOX ?

For your information, all our staff are need to get certificate of good attitude, good history from local authority before he/she is able to start work with us, we don’t take the risk to take stranger work here. Most of staff are working here for more than of years and some of them received excellent reviews from our customers.

We are really sorry for the situation happened to you, but accusing us of stolen your passport is really UNFAIR for us.

Best Regard,

Panharith (MD )

Travellers are raving about these Siem Reap hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Decent place with reasonable rooms (clean, comfortable, secure) for the price and very friendly staff. Breakfast was fine, didn't try the dinner there so can't comment on the other food. Booked a tuktuk through them to take me round Angkor Wat and the driver was well informed, spoke reasonable English and was good company for my 2 days going round the various temples.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Ratana5793, Manager at My Home Cambodia, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear John O,

Warmest greetings from My Home Cambodia,

On behalf of management and team at My Home Cambodia, we are so delighted to hear that you had enjoyed with our service and hospitality .

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

My home is an okay accomodation, offering a basic room for $20. The pool is almost pure chlorine, but still nice to cool off after a day of temple watching. However, our reservation got lost and we had to stay somewhere else because they were fully booked. The same thing happened to two other people we spoke to, one even already had put down a deposit. The place is okay, but this bout of untrustworthiness has deminished my opinion My Home.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Ratana5793, Manager at My Home Cambodia, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Apleek,

Thank you very much for taking your valued time to leave a review following your recent stay at My Home Villa.

To clear up any misunderstanding about your booking.

Regarding to your booking, our team release your booking from reservation record because you didn’t give us room deposit when you booking.
That time you only let us reserved the room and hold for you and not sure what time check in, therefore we hold the room till 5:30pm but you still not come, so we decided to sell the room to another guest.

Anyway, on behalf of The Management of My Home Villa I thank for your bringing this matter to our attention and please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenient which caused you during stay with us. We work hard on those issues every day in order to change.

Guatemala
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We went to Siem Reap during the Chinese New Year high season, and basically everything was booked. My Home had reasonable prices ($20/night in 2014), and served a basic breakfast in the morning. There was a slightly nasty pool in the back which was good for sunbathing but not swimming.
The main drawback were the bathroom set-up and the lack of cleanliness and care from the staff.
We has to almost beg for towels, and one day they forgot to clean the room completely.
With that said, when Siem Reap is full, this is a viable option. At other times of the year, I'm sure you could find a better deal by shopping around.
One plus was that they had a fleet of trustworthy tuk-tuk drivers at their disposal.

Room Tip: Ask to see the bathroom before choosing a room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear eyebox,

Warmest greetings from My Home Cambodia,

On behalf of management and team at My Home Cambodia, I would like to thank for your bringing this matter to our attention and please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenient which caused you during stay with us. We work hard on those issues every day in order to change.