“Nice place to stay overall...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Smiling Hotel & Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Smiling Hotel & Spa
Ranked #286 of 339 Hotels in Siem Reap
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Nice place to stay overall...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

This hotel is a good choice for comfortable stay in Siem Reap. The hotel staffs are helpful and always smiling, feel nice to be served. However, the message service is one of the lacking point. The message girls were not such professional compared to message center outside, were not really taking serious on their job or maybe lack of professional training. We were getting back pain after tried the hotel message service.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

Great place to stay in Siem Reap right on one of the main roads. Massage was not that great. Rooms are very new. Everyone is extremely nice, and the name Smiling Hotel is a very apt name for this place. Beds are way too soft. Didn't try the restaurant at all as we wanted to experience as much of the local food as possible. Highly recommended overall.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

Showers were amazing! Staff was super friendly, they came running out to help us with our bags with huge smiles :) Definitely recommended.

Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

A heck of a deal! Thru Agoda.com, I paid $77 for two nights and they even upgraded my room without me asking. Very friendly staff-- smiling indeed! Super clean and spacious room. A bit of a treck into the restaurant area and to Angkor Wat. But everything in SR seems tuk-tuk worthy. Oh yeah, and they have a lovely pool, too! I also had some excellent thai massage-- aka Traditional Khmer Massage-- for $18. I used to do it for a living and so my standards are high.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Siem Reap, Cambodia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

i really enjoyed this hotel. It is a well presented place and good for kids. The people here are kind and helpful. We went from stay at the smiling hotel from one night and now it is now five it is a really nice place.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Norwich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

Wow!! Marcia and I like to think we’re fairly well travelled. It takes something pretty special to make us go into print.
This was certainly such an occasion.
From the moment we arrived, until our departure some six days later, we were made to feel special….
An unasked for, and totally free, room upgrade to an “Executive Suite”, and all the associated trimmings you’d expect to go with it.
We pinched ourselves constantly throughout our stay… all just too good to be true.
It got even better…
The hotel “uses” eight particular tuk tuk drivers. I find it hard to believe that they can all be as good as the one who picked us up from the airport upon our arrival… Mr Thong Vuthy was exceptional! During the six days he became more a travelling companion to us than just a driver. He was always punctual; greeting us invariably with a smile, followed by the command “Get in please!” He has a one hour English lesson at 06.00 most days before beginning work. Marcia and I are keen to encourage him and intend to send some appropriate English tuition books to help. (those he has are poor by modern standards). The Cambodian postal service is notoriously unreliable. Mr Khiev Roth (the hotel Front Office Manager) has kindly offered to forward books to him for me, but if you are heading to the Smiling Hotel in the next month or so & can fit one in your luggage for me then I’m sure Mr Vuthy will be your friend for life.
A last few words about Mr Vuthy… when I explained to him that Thong, in English, means “very small underpants” he smiled profusely, but I suspect he’d rather I’d left him in ignorance.
I can only endorse the comments of the many other reviewers who’ve mentioned the perpetual smiles of all the hotel staff. Even if you creep up on them you’re unlikely to find anything different.
I’ve been scratching my head for something negative to write about the Smiling Hotel And Spa.
I’ve come up with two, hopefully constructive, criticisms …
Firstly, it would have been nice to see our room safe fixed securely to the cupboard in which it was housed. It was unattached and light enough to be easily removed from the cupboard by any would be burglar.
Secondly, something needs to be done about the hotel restaurant.
I can’t put my finger on why it had so little evening custom. We shared the same experience as a previous reviewer… we ate there on our first night. The food was fine. The service was fast and, if anything, a little over attentive. But we ate alone; the only diners in a very large room.
Could it be the prominent neon “Café” sign above the entrance that deters folk from entering for an evening meal? Could it be the relatively characterless décor of the room? I don’t know. But something really does need to be done to get more bums on seats. A restaurant should be an asset to a hotel and not, as in this case, something of an embarrassment.

Finally…
Mr Roth and Mr Kakada… your staff are truly a credit to you and thank you so much for the enormous basket of fruit you had them place in our room on the last day of our stay.
We’ve been overwhelmed by your hospitality and will be back as soon as we’ve saved the airfare again.
I have many pictures and video clips that I'll provide links to (here on TripAdvisor) when time allows.
Here's a small taster... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKHTdCkzhls

Room Tip: Smile... just smile! :-)