“Rock hard beds and uninvited guests in our room...”

Smiling Hotel & Spa
Ranked #269 of 374 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We stayed one night here and promptly took up with hotels.com to give us a refund the next day.

First off, the good: the staff are lovely. They're genuinely caring and will do whatever they can to help you. The trouble is, there doesn't seem to be very much.

And now, the bad: we were placed in what, I can only assume, is the "old" building. Our super-special "deluxe" view? A building site of a side of the old building...presumably this is what would happen to our side of the hotel in a few months? The pool noise, even 4 floors up, was noisy and impossible to rest during. The internet was laughable; there in name only.

I have literally slept on concrete floors that were more comfortable than this mattress. Yes, I've traveled throughout Asia and am aware of some places' affection for backbreaking beds. This beats them all. I question if anything short of magic could make this bed comfortable.

Also both hotels.com and the hotel's actual website show pictures of a hot tub/jacuzzi setup on offer at the hotel. When my husband asked where they were located the staff actually laughed and said that those had been closed for almost a year.

**BEST PART**
At around 2am, we were awoken by the loud noise of our neighbors returning and talking and laughing loudly in Korean. It was irritating, but, you know...it's a hotel, what can you do? But neither of us could get back to sleep--the noise was so loud. Around 3am, I noticed that there was a growing gold glow coming from the door between our adjoining rooms. I walked up and noticed that the door was OPEN between our two rooms! The other guests could have walked in and taken whatever they wanted to, and we would have never known!

We had tested the door before we went to bed that night, as I am always a bit weary of adjoining rooms with people I don't know. The door was locked then. Most adjoining doors have a second door as a failsafe if one door fails, but not this one! We put a chair up against the door, but that chair couldn't stop the loud chatter and noise leaking in from the open adjoining door.

There are so many other accommodation options in Siem Reap; I'd give this one a pass.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank giulieta

Reviewed 13 February 2013

I stayed 2 night at Smiling Hotel in new building. Room is luxury and very clean. I sleep very well :))
There are many TV channels from around Asia such as; Thailand China Japan and Korea. Wake up call make me surprise :) .You can ask for City-Map and exchange money from Reservation.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Any L
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I spent 3 days in this hotel in January. It s a **** hotel. Rooms corridors and lobby were very clean. I asked for a large bed in a quite location. I had a very big room (32 sq m as indicate on my reservation via hotels.com -expedia-) a little bit noisy -there is big road and some weddings party with heavy sound ) Cambodian people cant drive without horning....They don t have double glassed windows as we have in Europe! The lobby people were very courteous and helpful. They speak good and fluent English with a characteristic Asian accent!. My room had very good equipments and amenities. I had a saloon side. The TV screen is a little bit to small to see correctly channels from the bed.. There is a small shower-cabin inside a big bathroom. My mattress was hard for my back especially after seen Angkor temples... I had free pick up from the the bus station with an A/C car ( only one pick up for each booking : you have to pre-book and to give your flight or bus details). They have free wifi internet. This hotel is a bit far from the city but the cost of a tuk-tuk taxi to go downtown is around 2 US$. Lot of big asian tourists noisy groups arrives in the evening. Good clean and not so quite place to stay outside the city.

Room Tip: Ask by mail the room you want and give them the pick up details.... There is a swimming pool and I d...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank ChristianMONCEAU
Reviewed 20 January 2013

This Hotel is wonderful! Nice, clean, beautiful, rooms with wifi and great cable tv selection! Beautiful pool, great restaurant, and cordial staff! If you ever go here, ask for Syden Tiger! He is the BEST Official Angkor Wat Tour guide I have ever dealt with! He is very knowledgeable and his English is excellent!! Great prices, too!! STAY here, you will LOVE IT!!! Kevin G (50 countries)

Room Tip: Pool side facing room!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank 44countries
Reviewed 31 December 2012

it's claimed as a local 4 stars hotel, location is out of the city although siem riep is small , rooms nothing to shout about, hard beds and pillows, but bath / room amenieties are aplenty indeed , which is nice/ starting to show its age already espcially the toilet
the air-cons seemed to be pre-set, unable to change ut even after calling housekeeping, room temp was 27 degrees Celsius !!! even after chaging air con temp from 17 to 15 degrees C, really humid and uncomfortable

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 November 2012

The room is spacious and standardise. The cleanliness was excellent.
The staff were so helpful and friendly. Overal its a nice and cozy thus,
worth the money to stay here. I had my own Tuk Tuk service and the driver was wonderful.
Recommend to choose a big room like a suite to enjoy with friends. They even have
an awesome jacuzzi bathtub. :D I had a blast.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ratana Y
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We moved to this hotel after having a disastrous time at another across town. Lobby is beautiful, staff on the whole were friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean, (I say rooms in the plural as we were upgraded; good public relations management!) and the pool was great after a hot day at the Temples (and Siem Reap in general actually.) Quite far out of town but it's only a $2 tuk tuk ride away- don't pay any more and don't let the drivers outside try it on as they did us one night, $6, as if! Had a meal in the restaurant one night which was fantastic, top notch food and service. Also shared a burger for lunch one day and ate it by the pool, more than enough for one person, that was very good too.
What puzzles me about this hotel is why there is a beautiful air-conditioned dining room which in the whole six days we were there we saw only ourselves use it the once but you have to eat breakfast battling with the flies and other creepy crawlies in the dreary open air dining room by the pool? (The hotel has a slight open aspect to it in the centre and they seem to have a war with the local insect population.) Breakfast we found to be poor compared to other hotels we've been to in Asia and staff need training in the basics of customer service. Internet, there was only one machine working out of the four but we always managed to get a go.
Incidently, we stayed in Siem Reap for six days but feel we stayed three days too long.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple