“Friendly, helpful relaxed hotel”

Rambutan Resort - Siem Reap
Ranked #40 of 353 Hotels in Siem Reap
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly, helpful relaxed hotel”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

The Golden Banana Boutique hotel and Resort is a medium sized relaxed and informal hotel within a short walking distance of the main town and the day and night markets. Tuk Tuks are always available outside the hotel for the fairly short ride to Angkor Wat and the airport. The mainly young staff are extremely helpful and you are always greeted with a genuine smile from the time you arrive until the time you leave. The rooms are reasonably sized and furnished always plenty of hot water in the shower. Breakfast is served in the pool area and offers a reasonable choice which is prepared to order. Dinner is served in the same area and, after a days sightseeing, is a pleasant quiet place to relax while your meal is being cooked, the three course meal was reasonably priced and of a high standard.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AngloSaxon64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We immediately felt home here after a warm welcome at this beautiful resort. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, the food in the restaurant is great and the pool is perfect to chill after visiting the temples.
We booked a deluxe villa room and were impressed by the nicely decorated spacious room and loved the terrace on the second floor. Location is great too, in walking distance to the town center.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank twyss
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 February 2013

This review may come in a tad late considering that our stay in GB Resort was in June 12. Still, we thought that it should do justice for the services and wonderful stay we had at the boutique resort.

Our family of 2A and 2C was most pleased with the smiley staffs and the ambience of the hotel. The breakfast thought not much of a variety was adequate for the short stay and catered to the kids as well.
Though the hotel seemingly has a bigger ration of men than women or kids, this is a safe and clean hotel to be staying in. We had the ground floor deluxe villa room which overlooked the pool and had the tub and shower in the open area of the upper floor. Almost a perfect experience expecially with staffs like Seth who attended to us at the reception. The others were generally friendly as well.

The only few problem we had were caused by the tuk tuk driver, Yem Chinda (see photo pass provided) and the driver assigned to transfer us to the Airport. Chinda was either sarcastic and rude as we had chosen to ride the tuk tuk for our Ang Kor Wat tour, as opposed to his suggestion for a car instead, seemingly for our comfort (more like for his due to waiting time in the hot weather). He was clearly not happy that we did not follow his suggestion for the sequence of the site we wanted to visit. As for the driver who took us to the Airport, he arrived much later than scheduled and almost caused us to miss the flight back. That was crazy!

Overall, I would recommend anyone to stay here and enjoy the goodness of this hotel!

Room Tip: For families with young children, the deluxe room would be ideal as there is a double and single bed...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I had a very pleasant stay at Golden Banana. We were warmly greeted by the hotel staff when we stepped into the hotel.The staff are incredibly helpful and friendly, guided us around the area and readily available for assistance. The rooms were spacious, well-equipped. The most interesting thing was the pool, just awesome. Definitely will stay here again in future.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
New York
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Very, very terrific hotel, really more like home than hotel. Great staff, helpful tips about town, and great tuk tuk drivers. Rooms are large, clean, contemporary. I gush, but this was really one of the best places that I have ever stayed.

Room Tip: We stayed at the resort ..... There are other "Bananas" like the b&b and the hotel. I...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Palm Desert
Reviewed 15 February 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our 3 night stay at the GB; the staff was friendly and so helpful, our room was clean, large, and beautiful, the pool was nice, and the restaurant was really good also. I have to echo all of the other positive comments about the GB. Just a couple of comments: since the Golden Banana is located in a residential area, I would recommend white noise at night to overcome the sound of roosters crowing from zero dark thirty, and if you have any mobility problems ask for a room on a lower floor because the stairs to the upper floors are incredibly steep! Overall, I would highly recommend the GB; we had a wonderful experience.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lizab2004
Durban
Reviewed 8 February 2013

An intimate resort that makes you feel like a traveller. Great sense of place with loads of smiling staff running around. You accept that plans will change, the power will go out, there will be no water when you need a shower and you'll be woken up before sunrise with loud music from the neighbors wedding celebrations.

On arrival at the airport I was picked up by my Tuk Tuk driver, Teah. He was a my driver for the 4 days and from the start was always a bit late. The hotel arrival was welcoming and my itinerary was negotiated. I loved my room which was accessed by climbing two narrow lstaircases and was a comfortable cool retreat with a spacious rain shower and a bath on the balcony that looked over the pool.

The sunset at Angor Wat was special and I preferred it to the sunrise because there were less people and the colors were so much richer. The salt water pool and a cold beer were always welcome refreshers on my return.

The resort location is ideal being steps away from a market and across the bridge from town. Every meal at the resort was excellent, once I and the staff had figured out what is and isn't included in my package and what I can and can't have. On the first day after a long, hot, dusty day or climbing through temples I returned to the hotel looking forward to a shower, AC and a massage. Unfortunately the power for the whole town was out and for some reason there was no water so I settled for a swim and the massage was postponed to the following day. Thankfully the water returned later but the next morning I woke up again to no water. The massage on day 2 was good and a welcome relief for sore muscles. I gave the restaurant included in the package a skip and enjoyed dim sum at Miss Wongs which is well worth a visit. Later, I was woken up in the middle of the night with the AC leaking on my head and then again very early in the morning with incredible noise from outside my room. Peering through the window in the darkness the street had been closed, the cooking pots were boiling and there was a hive of activity as wedding preparations were well underway for the pre-dawn celebrations.

PACKAGES
I booked a 3 day package with two days of a driver to see the nearby temples, two dinners a lunch and a massage. I would advise just booking your room and arranging activities when you're there as I ended up having to pay extra to see the temples I wanted to see and extra to leave early to see Ankor Wat at sunrise. The guide rate was $30 for the early start and $25 for a regular day. Unfortunately the dinner and dance show was cancelled due to the mourning period after the King's funeral so I had dinner at the resort and on the final night I was just too hot and tired to go searching for the Sugar Plumb restaurant. Also as a single traveller it was a waste because the package was for two people. You can't get anything extra at breakfast even though you'd paid for 2 and for dinner the waiter told me I could have two glasses of wine, then someone rushed up and said I couldn't but they would give me a complimentary glass for the confusion and then they ended up giving me a bottle?!

Would I stay again? Definitely, just for the uniqueness of the resort, the friendly staff, great food and for the of adventure of it all. When last did was your bill hand written on carbon copy paper?

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo