“Amazing guest services”

Rambutan Resort - Siem Reap
Ranked #39 of 378 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I started emailing GB questions about a week before my stay - logistics questions about how to get there from the airport, get a SIM card, get money, etc. - and they answered all of my emails very helpfully and promptly. When I arrived, they knew me by name, and the same people followed up with me about additional questions from there. When I left early in the morning to watch the sunrise at Angkor Wat, they prepared a breakfast in advance for me to pick up at 5AM! The only negative thing about my experience was that there was no shampoo in my room, and they did not offer to supply it from anywhere else. But this was so minor in the grand scheme of things - I had an amazing time.

Room Tip: Get a room with shampoo built into the shower, if you care about washing your hair. Ask the bar/rest...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank lucyliu0901
Write a ReviewReviews (1,169)

Reviewed 5 April 2013

The Golden Banana suited our needs in Siem Reap perfectly. It's just far enough out of the centre of town to have a sense of seclusion, but is a short walk away from Pub Street and the rest. The sense of being insulated from the tumult and heat of Siem Reap and Angkor is one of the key qualities of the "resort". As the afternoon wears on, people gather around the pool after a morning of seeing the sights, relaxing with a book or ipad. A cocktail from the bar may also be to hand. Lovely.

The staff at the resort were uniformally excellent. Always cheerful and willing to help out. They, alongide the resort's fleet of tuk tuk drivers, will meet all of your sightseeing needs and the costs (which are very reasonable) can all be charged for payment when you check out. Very convenient.

Our room was spacious, clean and everything worked. The frequent power cuts in Siem Reap were not a problem as a result of the newly installed generator.

Reviewed 28 March 2013

Went for the second time in 2 years.
Were welcomed back by the once again superb staff. They are really what make this place.
Stayed in a lovely deluxe villa - perfectly equipped and with none of the power or water problems described by others here. In fact the manager said they had recently added a waterpump and a generator to prevent similar things happening in the future.
For our stay everything worked perfectly.
The food and drinks and bar service are still just wonderful and I would stay here again for sure.
Why not 5* like I gave last time - It is still the same magical place - but the prices have gone up somewhat, So with that comes increased expectations as well.

Room Tip: Deluxe villa if you want to splurge - otherwise the roomsfacing the pool are also just great .
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
worldtraveller062, General Manager at Rambutan Resort - Siem Reap, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2013

Dear Nicolai,

It was very nice to see you again at our Resort.
We love to welcome our returning guest and see them becoming in a certain way a member of our GB ‘Family’.
Regarding our prices that slightly went up, this is true, after two full years without increasing our rates, we had to make them a bit higher.
Siem Reap is a beautiful city in full expansion, this offers a lot of benefits for those who visit it; great restaurants, bars, shops, spa’s,... but at the same time the facilities provided by the government can not follow and are not 100% sufficient.
Because of this we decide to invest a lot in backup systems to guarantee Electricity & Water supply, Wi-Fi., etc. at all times.
Apart from this for those who book direct to us we also have our “special returning guests rates or free upgrades”
Next time; please don’t be shy to ask for it, we are more than happy to offer them also to you.

The full GB team is looking forward to your next visit.

With best regards,
Tommy

Reviewed 27 March 2013

If you are planning to stay in Siem Reap, this is an excellent choice. It is off the beaten path, in a great location. It is in walking distance to the markets and restaurants. We walked everywhere (easy walks). If you are looking for a big name brand hotel, this is not your place. But if you are like us and want to stay in a place that offers terrific service, good food, and makes you feel part of the community, stay here. We looked forward to seeing and talking to the staff everyday. Our room was nice and the pool beautiful and refreshing. (One review stated the waterfall is noisy - but they turn it off in the evening - we happen to like waterfalls)
The Golden Banana will set up all your tours and provide you with drivers any where you want to go. Our driver and guide were so fun and knowledgeable. We had such a good time, we are trying to figure out a way back. And we will stay at the Golden Banana again.
- Paula & RJ

Room Tip: We thought our room was very good. We had a balcony and a good sized bathroom and bedroom. Our room...
1  Thank RJ R
Reviewed 27 March 2013

A friend in NY, NY recommended the attractive Golden Banana where he'd stayed several times. My daughter and I loved our visit at the GB. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Our room was nicely designed and comfortable, our meals in the restaurant were delicious. The location was a short walk to the Night Market and restaurants. The GB staff helped us organize transportation and a guide to Angkor Wat. Our experience at The Golden Banana helped to make our vacation a memorable one. We were sorry that we didn't plan more time in Siem Reap.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms would be good. We were on the second floor overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Stayed 5 nights at the Golden Banana Resort in Mid-March. We had a room just off the pool, with a terrace upstairs.

My favorite thing about the hotel was the staff - particularly in the bar/restaurant. They were very nice and always smiling. One afternoon I was at the pool, and the GM was having a staff meeting. I could hear lots of kudos and lots of applause. They seem to have a sense of teamwork and community there. the sign of great management.

The quality of food was quite good and the price more than reasonable.

My only feedback is the bed. To truly experience the sights of Cambodia. you must climb stone stairs, walk miles, and really push yourself. The bed is firm, like most Asian hotels, and while I can deal with that, it also features a wood ledge around the mattress. Some nights I was so sore and tired that getting up to get some water or use the restroom was painful, because I had to traverse the bed ledge. While it was useful for my alarm clock, and attractive to look at, the ledge at times caused me some pains. A small thing really.

I miss the smiles at the Golden Banana. thank you for a great stay

Reviewed 21 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights while on holiday. The hotel is nicely located down a little alley, so things are very quiet -- great after a long day touring temples! The pool area is a little oasis, albeit quite small and cramped. We had a Deluxe suite, which is large in size, modernly traditional and has a great porch overlooking the pool. We were on the top floor (3rd) and the climb up the stairs was very steep. We're young (30s) so it wasn't a problem, but if you're older, ask for a ground floor room. The bed in the room is incredibly hard, something quite common in Asian travel. Also, no hair conditioner or body lotion is provided, so make sure to bring your own! The room was large, but needed some refreshing. There were numerous bug squashes on the walls that need a paint-over and the sheets, while I’m sure cleaned, were stained. It was a nice touch though that the beer mugs were keep in the fridge so they were cold. The food is good, not fantastic. The breakfast is an order menu – get the French toast! And the drinks at the bar are really good. Have the Siem Reap Martini. The staff is friendly and very, very laid back. I got a mani-pedi my first day since it was offered from their “spa” area. They basically just called a girl from down the street to do the job. Not very professional and there was no place to have it done. We ended up in my room on an uncomfortable chair. Also, make sure you have small bills on you at all times! No one ever seems to have change! One more thing, the power and internet cut out – internet quite a bit the last 2 days. I know it’s not their fault, but just be aware! I’m not sure I’d stay here again. There were too many other places to check out that looked equally as beautiful from the outside.

Room Tip: The stairs are VERY steep. Try and get a ground floor, or 2nd floor room.

Dear Twaterwoman,

Thank you for spending your precious time to share your experience with other travelers and informing us about some things we have to work on or adjust.
We regret to hear you didn’t fully enjoyed your stay because of some ‘problems’, we take this very seriously and will make sure they get fixed right away.
Your remark about the stairs is totally correct; therefore we will try to replace hem for better ones in this summer. Stairs are really steep in Cambodia, it looks like they want to copy the stairs in the temples.
Regarding the hair conditioner and body lotion that is missing, this is correct, we instead choose to provide in each room Shower gel, shampoo, tooth brushes and paste, ear cottons, combs and 2 kind of natural hand soaps.
We do have a nice spa where you can have a pedicure or other treatment. I am not sure why the staff didn’t offer this location to you. We will train more on this and apologize that it happened like this.
During your stay there where indeed major electricity problems in and around Siem Reap.
In previous years we didn’t have problems with the electricity supply in Siem Reap but due to growing numbers of tourists and bad management of the government this is quickly changing. This year we had already several incidents, therfore we decided to have a generator standby all times so we can prevent this in the future. Unfortunately we were not able to have this backup in place when you were there.

I hope that when you plan to visit Cambodia in the future, you would like to stay with us again so we can show you the improvements and offer you a free stay to make it up to you.

With best regards,