“My favorite hotel ever”

Rambutan Resort - Siem Reap
Ranked #38 of 385 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The Golden Banana by Rambutan Resort is one of the loveliest, most charming, comfortable, and welcoming places I have ever stayed. I have stayed there multiple times now, either alone or with teen-aged children, and always look forward to returning. The staff are friendly and helpful - and always willing to provide intelligent and interesting local cultural explanations and suggestions about places to visit and see. The hotel is very safe with a feeling of peaceful, quiet seclusion - even though it is conveniently located across the river from busy downtown Siem Reap and within short walking distance of many restaurants. I love walking through the "Golden Banana Alley," which is covered in bougainvillea and hung with red lanterns. I also love all of the rooms (all a little differently situated and arranged), with their lovely balconies surrounded by greenery and comfortable furnishings. The salt water pool is always well maintained, everything is impeccably cleaned and maintained daily, and the food is always great. (I especially recommend the Golden Banana "bau-bau" or rice soup, which is nicely flavored with mushrooms, Kampot pepper and slices of fresh ginger). In addition to its lovely aesthetic sensibilities and beautiful setting, the hotel works hard to be "green" and socially responsible, contributing to the community around it, paying decent wages and supporting staff development in various ways.

Room Tip: I think I have stayed in every room at different points and they seem equally lovely. It's a go...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank arhan850
Write a ReviewReviews (1,181)

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Golden Banana is one of the best places to sleep in Siem Reap. The room rates are $28 for a room with air con and breakfast included. The staff is very friendly. GB is also close to the Old Market and Pubstreet. I would recommend everybody to stay in this hotel if there budget is about $25 dollars for a room. If not then there are a lot of other places who can offer you room for $9, but those are without air con breakfast and a pool.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Meik_123
Reviewed 16 June 2014

In terms of location, the Golden Banana Resort (GBR) is very close to the bustle of the Night Market, the Old Market and Pub Street, yet nicely hidden and tucked away from it all, in a peaceful surrounds. GBR has a certain cosy, rustic charm and makes you feel welcomed in a special way. The limited number of rooms allows for a lot of interaction between the staff and guests and this makes staying at GBR even more wonderful. The small restaurant serves pretty decent food at good rates, and service always comes with many smiles. I've stayed here several times over the last few years and it's somewhere I never think twice about returning to.

Room Tip: Ask for a room downstairs if you have problems climbing steps, especially since the staircases are s...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Asia-aficionado
Reviewed 15 June 2014

As soon as I stepped into the resort, I felt relaxed (though very wisely, one of the first things we were handed was the wifi password!). The well-furnished room (Jasmine) was very comfortable, and my goodness, it was huge! What made us enjoy our stay the most was the friendly people there - from the manager, Tommy, to the junior wait staff.

Room Tip: Our room (Jasmine; above the common area) was next to a water feature. Not bad if you like white no...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Derrick C
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I have recently returned from hosting my birthday at the Boutique Resort, so I'd like to share my experience for any of you who are planning destination parties or events in Siem Reap.

I first stayed at the Golden Banana Boutique Resort in January 2014. I spent 4 nights in a Deluxe Suite and was, quite frankly, charmed. The staff were sincerely nice and the entire setup seemed creepily my style, down to the paintings on the walls. I returned to plan my birthday accommodations with the Resort and local restaurants (for 2 nights in March 2014), and then just had the big ta-do there from May 22-27, 2014.

The Resort (as well as the Boutique Hotel) is located a short walk from everywhere you need to go in Siem Reap. The location convenience couldn't be better for nightlife and shopping and general tourist (mis)behavior. Pub Street and markets are a five minute walk. Immediately outside the Resort are a waiting group of drivers offering scooters, tuk tuks, or car rides. There has been immediate transportation available during high and low season, and if you befriend a local driver and tip well, you've got a driver at your service. Additionally, the hotel can arrange transport; I needed a van to do an airport pickup for a flight arrival of 12 persons. It cost $12.

The lowdown on the Boutique Resort is this: it's super cute and comfortable and the staff are fantastic. They are polite and warm and accommodating. The facilities are well-maintained. The food on offer is varied, and the drinks are cheap and strong. The pool is something I want to have access to every day of my life. It is, in my opinion, the best mid-range hotel/resort I've stayed at, and I've stayed at a few.

I hosted a party for 32 people total, with all 16 rooms booked (we spilled over into other hotels as well). I have never hosted a party, really, ever (40 seemed like a good enough time to start), and so I had no idea what to expect in terms of problems, complications, etc. This is where the Resort get its solid 5 stars across the board from me: I had zero stress. The manager, Tommy, handled any small issue as it arose. He had prepped the staff regarding my party and what to expect. The building looked great and it functioned for five days as our headquarters as we ran around temples and bars and had a fantastic time. I hosted a poolside buffet that Tommy took great care in organizing, down to having the pool surrounded by candles (a beautiful touch).

Essentially, as the host, I had exactly the gathering/party/celebration at the Golden Banana Boutique Resort that I had hoped to have. That is why I want to recommend it not just for individual stays (which I have loved), but also for people planning getaways with friends or family. The manager and staff made my time there very special and memorable, and I would like to spread the word like it's a religion or apple product or hot yoga. Stay here!

Room Tip: If you have bad knees or hips or are a crippling alcoholic, ask for a ground floor room. The stairs...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank expateric
worldtraveller062, General Manager at Rambutan Resort - Siem Reap, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Expateric,

Many thanks for sharing your positive experience.
It was a privilege and pleasure you choose our establishments as the preferred location for your 40th birthday!
Our staff and myself fully enjoyed the presence of you and your group.
It is always nice for us to see people fully enjoy their stay and birthday.
Indeed our Resort is the perfect venue for private functions, parties, family and friends reunions.
Just to inform other travelers: Golden Banana Boutique Hotel & Resort by Rambutan only caters private events when people request to rent the full property, this to avoid other guests get disturbed by the group during their stay.

We are looking forward to your next stay!

Kind greetings,
Tommy

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Staff are extremely polite and knowledgeable. They never said no to any request and couldn't do enough to make our stay more enjoyable. Room was beautiful, we stayed in the Jasmine room make sure you ask for it. Very big, spotlessly clean, bath on the balcony, overlooks the pool, stocked mini bar, AC, rainforest shower. All tuk tuks were booked through the hotel and staff gave excellent restaurant recommendations. Hotel also organised a trip to the Temples. Nobody bothers you, you can do your own thing and staff are there if you need them. Food is good, we ate in the hotel 2 nights, but there are better restaurants in the town. I would stay here again and recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Siem Reap.

Room Tip: Ask for Jasmine room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hannah B
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I am mystified by the good reviews for this place. In my experience the rooms were dirty, and it was very unappealing. Be aware that, in my experience, one had to pay for all of one's nights in advance, and if you arrive and then decide to check out early for some reason, then absolutely no nights will be refunded for any reason. There are many, many places to stay in Siem Reap, so I would not bother to put up money in advance to stay here, you'll have loads of other options, and it's not special enough to warrant pre-booking. I've stayed in a wide variety of places around SE Asia, from 5 stars, to extremely modest, and have appreciated a wide variety of places for what they have to offer in their price range. This place just doesn't make the grade in my opinion, a rubbish spot, rip-off, not appropriate for families.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Susan R
worldtraveller062, General Manager at Rambutan Resort - Siem Reap, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Susan R,

We are a bit surprised with your (let's say) not so positive review.
Most of our surprise goes to the fact that you stayed with us in September 2013, and decide to post your unpleasant experience in June 2014???
Also during the time of your stay we where never reported about a guest who requested for an early check out for any reason, and we never charge our guests the full rate before arrival, only some online agents indeed request for this.
We reported this review already as suspicious to Tripadvisor, but seems they don't took appropriate actions yet.
Thit let us no choice to respond to this very suspicious review, so other travelers don't get confused.

With best regards,