“Best Location- Value for Money”
Review of Thunborey Hotel

Thunborey Hotel
Ranked #257 of 353 Hotels in Siem Reap
Karachi, Pakistan
“Best Location- Value for Money”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I stayed with friends and find the hotel excellent. I stayed with friends and it is situated at a very good location. Near to night market, Bus stand and main markets are also nearby. The hotel was clean and the staff was polite and very efficient. Complementary breakfast at roof top was addition to the value for money. My room was on 2nd floor and very quiet except in the morning time as Kitchen was right above my room. Wifi was also good. I enjoyed the stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on 2nd floor are good
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you very much!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 17 April 2013

For what it's worth, my stay at Thunborey was good. Staff were helpful and personable, and having breakfast at the rooftop was a nice bonus to the overall experience. And for someone who is particular about cleanliness, I found the rooms satisfactorily clean.

Wifi can be a bit of a problem though. We had to resort to leaving the room door ajar to get wifi connection.

Now, the real problem I had with Thunborey was after my trip. A few days after I returned back to my home country, I received a call via Tango, a Internet voice call app for mobile phones, from an unrecognised mobile number (with a Cambodian country code) around 1 in the morning.

Whoever was calling me claimed to be the receptionist from Thunborey and asked me the most random questions like 'where are you?', 'what are you doing?' and 'you're back in your country now?'. I was too tired to bother and hung up after telling the person off that it's unprofessional to call me like this if he was really working at Thunborey.

Yesterday, I received yet another call from the same number via Tango again. I was at work and my phone was on silent so the call was missed.

My point is if it was really one of the staff at Thunborey who acted in such a unprofessional manner, it is a total abuse of the personal information that I provided while making the reservation for my stay there. I never gave the number I used in my home country to anyone while I was in Siem Reap - I only provided my number while making my reservation via the Thunborey website, so I'm sure it must've been someone from the hotel. Though the calls were not much of a nuisance, I shudder to think what else has been done with my and other hotel patrons' personal and PRIVATE information.

To be fair, my stay at the hotel was good. But beware that your private information might be abused by the staff!!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank eugeniaseow
Seihator, Owner at Thunborey Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Thank you for your good command. I would like to inform you that Cambodia is one of the poorest countries in the world, so as a staff of a small budget hotel, they really can not effort for a smart phone which can use Tango to call you. Please check the phone number again and try to call back to make sure who made the call. On behalf of Thunborey Hotel staff, I would like thank you for your stay and look forward to see you again soon. Thank you again!
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 26 March 2013

If one is looking to stay near Old Market / Pub Street in Siem Reap and pay under 20 USD for a double room including breakfast, Hotel Thunborey is one nice option. My 20 USD room was clean, had effective airconditioning, and free wifi internet that worked really well. This room was on the ground floor but still OK. The hotel is walkable from Old Market, and Tuk Tuk drivers know this place. I could not take free breakfast in the room because I had to leave early in the morning for my temple trip. Instead, the hotel gave me a small packet in which they put a vegetable sandwich and 2-3 small fruits. Reception staff was quite helpful. Some essential services like in-room massage, bus tickets, temple tours are arranged by the hotel at fixed and very reasonable prices. Not a bad deal at all.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank dilli_desi
Reviewed 16 February 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed at this hotel on Chinese New Year. The price was $15 and free buffet breakfast. The room was clean and big. The cable TV was clear and have variety of channels. The location was good and surrounded by lots of shops. I would recommend it to anyone who want a great hotel with value.

• Stayed February 2013
Iksan, South Korea
Reviewed 22 January 2013

This is a good hotel with a very helpful staff. The hotel is neat and clean. It does have free breakfast in the morning on its rooftop. It actually is quite nice. The location of this hotel is what makes it the best. It is just off the main strip so that you can get a good night of rest, but it is within walking distants to all the shopping and most of the restaurants. I would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Ho Chi Minh City, null, Vietnam
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I stayed here for 2 days with my classmates. The first impression is the decoration is nice. Angkor style in wooden furniture makes the place more ancient. Then the staff is very friendly and helpful, I find comfortable when I ask them for help. Breakfast is various and delicious too!

Only one thing I don't like is that wifi connection is not stable, sometimes I cannot connect to the Internet unless I come to the lobby.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Staff very helpful and try very hard to make everyone comfortable. Room is comfy, large enough. Security is adequate. Air conditioning worked ok. Breakfast was nice on the roof restaurant - but the fruit served me had been kept in refrigerator too long. Loved their coffee.

Hotel is not quite as close to town as some reviews led me to believe - it's a dusty walk. Also, the traffic on the street can get heavy sometimes - please walk against traffic to see what's coming so you can adjust. TV is tiny. Hot water is a sometimes thing, but taking a lukewarm shower was no problem. When the tour groups arrive, staff is overwhelmed. Personally I hate to use a key and leave it at the desk, and I wish all hotels had electronic card instead - but...

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo