“Great gem ...”

Sojourn Boutique Villas
Ranked #28 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 25 March 2011

We recently returned after a 3 night stay @ Sojourn Boutique Villas. We truly enjoyed our time here. It is about a 10 minute tuk-tuk trip outside of the main area of Siem Reap, which we found actually quite refreshing. The hotel makes it quite easy for you to get into and out of town ($3 USD for a round trip tuk tuk ride and the driver waits for you in town until you are done). The service was fantastic, the food was amazing and overall a nice, tranquil boutique hotel with really personalized service. On arrival, you're greeted with fresh, fragrant jasmine bracelets, welcome drinks/snacks and tons of smiles from all the staff. The rooms are quite spacious and a fantastic value. We stayed in a temple room (with a great outdoor shower) and found it to be great.
You cant go wrong with this hotel. It's a perfect respite after a long day of temple hopping and night life in busy Siem Reap...

There are newer reviews for Sojourn Boutique Villas

Reviewed 25 March 2011

The resort is located about 10 mins from the restaurant district in siem reap, making it close enough to be convenient by tuk tuk yet far enough to experience the peaceful surroundings of a local village. The staff were incredibly sweet and professional. They have all the small touches that make a difference from fresh flowers, cold towels, bottled water freely available. And they support the local community! Rooms were clean and beautifully decorated. Good quality linen.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 24 March 2011

Our family stayed at Sojourn for a full 2.5 weeks... so I can safely say we gave this hotel the full test. Words cannot describe how lovely it is... Firstly, the setting is tranquil and rural so you feel as though you are off the beaten and into real Cambodia. I was a little concerned about being 10 min outside of town, but there is always a tuk handy to take you in for $3 round trip. The villas are really tastefully decorated and very spacious. The food is fantastic...from breakfast, to poolside menu to romantic evening dinners. Probably the highlight of our our stay here was getting to know the staff. They are warm, caring, always willing to please. There is a very lovely spirit about the place in general, as though you were "at home" and surrounded by family. Whether or not you stay at Sojourn, it is a must to take some of their tours. They are authentic and insightful. We did the Walk and Talk in Treak Village and really enjoyed it. Our family included a 6 year old, a 13 and 15 year old. We all LOVED staying at Sojourn. I was really shocked at the one review regarding below regarding the General Manager... we found him to be a true delight! He was helpful in every respect and our stay would not have been the same without his advice and thoughts on things to do. We travel all over the world and stay in some very nice places... this has got to be one of my favorite spots in SE Asia. I wouldn't miss it...

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2011

It's taken me a few days to begin this review because I do not know where to start. On one hand, I loved the hotel. On the other hand, I think it has some serious management issues. Here's my story:

We arrived at Siem Reap's airport at 11:30pm on a Saturday where my wife and I were met by our driver. He was very professional and efficiently shuttled us in a comfortable Toyota Camry to Sojourn. When we were arrived we were taken to our Apsara Villa. We immediately had mixed feelings. There was no welcome gift, and the room was nice, but by no means luxurious. After 20+ hour of flights to get to Siem Reap, we needed a chance to unwind, but Sojourn disappointed. The bed is hard and fragile. The bath was large, comfortable, but not quite spotlessly clean. Sojourn's location is very rural, after 9:30pm, lights go off, and there is absolutely nothing to do unless you go into town....

The next day, things took a turn for the better, and the real charm of the resort became apparent. The pool is quiet, a great place to relax. The restaurant is great, the servers are extremely warm and likable. We did the cooking lessons, which we highly recommend as well as the destination dining. Every employee is unbelievably warm and friendly. They took us to the local village to see their way of life which was humbling and eye opening.

Next we utilized the hotel's guide and driver for a tour of Siem Reap's temples. they were very friendly, and we enjoyed spending time with them. The guide's english was probably a 7 out of 10, so we had to work quite a bit to understand him, but he was very friendly. If you are inpatient or want a native english speaker, you might need to look elsewhere for a guide.

On our last day at the resort, there was a strong storm that knocked out power to the resort. The resort quickly utilized backup generators. Unfortunately the generators spewed C02 and carbon monoxide across the resort. I woke up very nauseous with a very big headache. I tried to sit outside at the pool, but the sound of the generators and their emissions were too much to handle. I went to take a nap indoors but our entire villa was full of emissions. I became really sick and had to check out of the hotel immediately. Although I explained the situation fully to the Australian management of the hotel, they did not seem like they were that concerned. I had to push them to get me a taxi immediately, instead of waiting an additional 15 minutes. I told them that I was worried about the health of the other guests too, but again, they didn't seem too concerned. I was too sick to walk in the stifling heat. In the end, our taxi driver took us to the hotel's other location in downtown Siem Reap where they provided us an air conditioned room for the three hours before our flight. I'm very grateful that they accommodated us, but still not certain that they recognized or cared about the seriousness of the situation. For 24 hours, I was very, very ill.

So all in all, there's a lot of great things about this hotel:
-Scenic location/ambiance
-Friendly staff
-Good restaurant
-Cooking Lessons
-Connection to local community
-Cheap taxis/tuk-tuks

At the same time, our last day in Siem Reap and first day in our next location (HCMC) was completely ruined by the hotel's mismanagement. To this day, we have not even received an apology, explanation, or any type of offer to make up for the discomfort they caused.

2  Thank Packinmybags8181
Reviewed 23 March 2011

We spent two nights at the Sojourn and wish it could have been longer! After riding through the city of Siem Reap, we were so glad that we had chosen the Sojourn which is out of the crowds and city. We took the Weekender Package and they delivered EVERYTHING they said they would! From the time the driver picked us up at the airport to the time he took us back, everything was perfect. We ate dinner both nights at the Sojourn because the food was really excellent (the breakfasts were excellent as well). When we arrived at the Sojourn the "French Guy" sat down with us and explained what we would be doing and told us about the resort. He was very helpful and competent in every way as far as we were concerned. We also booked massages in our rooms and found then to be excellent and about $15 for 90 minutes. I especially loved the outdoor shower. All of the plumbing worked just fine. The villa was quite large and the bed was very comfortable. When we arrived, we were provided with a crepe and a drink. After a very warm day of touring the temples with our guide, we loved being able to hang out in the pool and order drinks at the pool. bar. The pool area is gorgeous. We had the driver take us to Siem Reap on the way back from the temples and walked around a little bit but we really just wanted to get back to the Sojourn. The only thing I didn't like about the tour (which isn't the fault of the Sojourn) is that when we were on the lake cruise, two small boats approached us. Both of these boats had small chidlren with big snakes around their necks. They came right up to our boat as if they were going to board. Being as I don't like snakes, I finally asked the guide to ask them to go away. We did see some people let them board their boats so I guess not everyone felt like I did about it.....just a warning that if you don't like snakes, you might want to tell your guide in advance tha you don't want any children with snakes to come to your boat. We found one day of temple touring to be sufficient for our tastes.....lots of walking and climbing but they were really fabulous.

Reviewed 22 March 2011

Our trip to Siem Reap was absolutely perfect thanks to Sojourn Boutique Villas. Was traveling with an 8 month old and wanted to ensure a comfortable, safe, and fun trip. We stayed 4 nights and booked the Temple Villa for 3 and Terrace Room for 1 night (since the temple villas were all booked up). Both rooms were modern and well maintained. Couldn't use the outdoor shower in the villa because there were lots of mosquito outside but did enjoy the deep tub in the spacious bathroom. Also decided to go with the Sojourn's 3 Night Package which provided all the transport/tours/snacks to see the incredible temple sights in Siem Reap. They had an excellent driver with AC car and tour guide lined up. Not to mention the package includes massages and cocktails! The staff at the hotel were so accommodating and helpful- always smiling. If you are a young couple or like nightlife than staying in downtown Siem Reap is for you. It is a short drive but it's such a vibrant area (night markets, pubs, restaurants, massage parlours, etc) that it's best to be in the thick of things. If you are traveling with children or just like some peace and serenity the Sojourn is perfect. Everyday after viewing the temples we napped and relaxed at the pool and enjoyed every second of our holiday. We didn't want to leave!

Do book in advance!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Spent 3 nights while visiting Cambodia for temple touring. The room, staff, management, food, everything was great.
The hotel is situated near a village and away from town. This made for a very quiet and peaceful stay. The hotel was very accomodating in ensuring that visitors have transportation in to town. A tuk tuk will be reserved for a $3 round trip for as long as need it and the cost is simply added to your bill. BTW, it is worth going in to town to check it out. I was surprised at the amount of activity on Pub street.
The pool was a welcome respite after a long hot at day touring the temples. The swim up bar was very convenient.
The food at the hotel was excellent. I was surprised since the hotel is so small. I expected average food but was always pleased with the quality.
The service was excellent. The staff and management was always friendly and worked hard to make my stay as pleasant as possible.
For first timers to Cambodia, no one told me that there is no need to change dollars for Cambodian currency. The dollar seems to be accepted everywhere and is the preferred currency. The costs for just about everything is very low here so bring a lot of smaller bills. There is also an departure tax so be sure to keep a few dollars for the return trip home.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo