“Ideal”

Ranked #27 of 356 Hotels in Siem Reap
Boston, Massachusetts
“Ideal”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I stayed with a group for 7 nights at Sojourn in February. The hotel is situated within a village a short tuk-tuk ride from the hustle of downtown Siem Reap and was a perfect place for a retreat. The owners and staff were very attentive and responsive.
The rooms were impeccable and I didn't miss having an outdoor shower because I enjoyed the fabulous stone bathtub. The pool was a welcome retreat from the heat after a morning of exploring the local temples. Surrounding the pool were well manicured tropical bushes and trees creating a comfortable place to relax and read while listening to the geckos and frogs.
The spa offered a wonderful foot soak and foot massage prior to each treatment. These me in the mood for the spa experience. On my last evening I had 3.5 hrs of pampering to relax me for the journey home.
We ate most our meals at the hotel which were all delicious and right now, a month later I still dream of the carmelized banana I had for dessert my last evening.

The owners educated us to their philopsophy of responsible tourism, coupled with the way the hotel and neighboring village co-exist. This demonstrated the thoughtfulness and caring which presented itself in the day to day hospitality.

Room Tip: Ask about outdoor showers
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank CHM_HMB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 24 March 2012

This hotel and Siem Reap was the highlight of our far east journey. The friendly service were great. The food was also much higher then our expectations. It was also very cheap. If you are planning to go that direction, you should definetly go to Siem Reap and stay here.
The rooms are spacious, the service is friendly and fast, the food is great, the location is acceptable.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank G3A
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 March 2012

At the time, my friend and I were looking for some budget options and
had opted for a 2 night tour and stay at Sojourn's sister hostel.
The grounds are immaculate and lush, and the rooms surround a
saltwater pool with a swim up bar.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Hell, Norway
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This resort is in the sticks, in the jungle. No deceit there, as the web site makes clear. I wish I had considered the consequences more carefully before booking. The hotel handbook in the room clearly states that we can expect to see crickets, lizards, geckos, toads, frogs, bats and other nasties. And indeed I think I saw most of them, including a pair of toads at the reception desk. We tried to keep the room hermetically sealed and freezing cold, to the point where penguins would have felt uncomfortable, but we were still dogged by a giant spider and a gecko. Overall, it was a very tense stay, with very little sleep. It also did not help that the neighboring villagers banged on drums and played loud music all day and night. Hotel management evidently bends over backwards to placate the locals; a pity the respect is not reciprocated.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank dgdevil
Melbourne
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here on a wonderful 3 day temple package. We had a fantastic driver the whole time and the staff at the hotel were always smiling, friendly and helpful. We were in Cambodia during the floods so getting around was difficult and some parts of our package couldn't go ahead (such as the sunset picnic at the temples because it was raining - no matter we still had a great time!). The food at the hotel was excellent and we really enjoyed being out of town with some peace and quiet. The rooms were lovely and the pool and pool bar was welcoming at the end of a long day.

The only downside were several loud American guests who constantly complained to the staff about the problems they were experiencing due to the rains and floods - as if the staff could do anything about that!!! What's more - much of the staff had been stuck at the hotel for 7+ nights because the roads to their home villages were flooded - so I really doubt they needed this extra stress. However considering they were under this enormous pressure this made their welcoming and hospitable nature all the more amazing.

We wished we could have stayed even longer and would definately recommend this accommodation to others. Especially the packages which they offer - they make for a very easy stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MMandBean
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I was in Siem Reap and stayed at Sojourn the summer of 2010 so only around 18 months have passed since my last visit. We stayed there last week and for 7 days this time.

This time my husband and I (on our honeymoon,) booked a villa with an outdoor shower. I stayed in a room in the main building and not in the villas last time.

Everything looked a bit older, not extremely well kept, like the whole place could use a bit of a spruce up now. The information about village contributions from the hotel is also outdated.

The villa was adequate (be very careful on the slippery bathroom floor,) but I actually think the room in the main building was better value since it is cheaper and not much smaller.

The great part: The service and the food are both sublime, still one of the best boutique hotels I've stayed at. The driver was on time and knowledgeable and always up for long drives and day trips. The food is insanely tasty, I am very enthusiastic about the food, I loved it.

The good part: The hotel is located away from the hustle and bustle of Siem Reap, which is welcome. I like the location, makes you feel like you really get to see the surroundings of Siem Reap a bit, except for the temple area and the busy downtown area. The new spa is very beautifully decorated and appointed, but the masseuses can do with a bit more training both in English and in skills. A couple of my massages were not very relaxing as she kept kneading me too hard, even when I asked for soft or very soft pressure. They are so sweet though, so it is hard to say anything.

The not so good part: We found that it's not ideal to allow noisy children in a small resort like this, it was quite bothersome on some days. As I mentioned in the beginning of this review, the hotel and especially the pool area including umbrellas, towels and mattresses need a good cleaning and spruce up. The tropics are harsh and it shows everywhere on wear and tear which doesn't give the best impression. I found the bed to be uncomfortable, too hard, and the hotel did not have a softer top that could have made us more comfortable at night. The laundry was also found to be overpriced and ridiculously so. We paid 23 USD for quite a few items, one item was missing when we got them back and I have still not heard from the hotel about this. We were also badly informed about the price for a private driver, it ended up costing almost double as I had budgeted with and what I paid last time. Noone ever said that we'd be paying 55-60$ on some day trips, which was almost double as expensive than I paid last time. We asked to speak to the manager a couple of times but never saw him or her, my email of last Friday was never answered. At a little resort like this, it's imperative to answer your guests in a prompt manner.

The dealbreaker: The constant 24/7 noise of boom boom music from the village. I can understand that in wedding season, there are a lot of weddings in the villages around Siem Reap, but we are there to relax which is hard with incredibly noisy music going on at all hours. It is not creating a romantic atmosphere. I had booked a destination dining package on one night, but cancelled due to the constant loud, bothersome music that I was afraid of ruining our romantic night. We heard that a lot of customers complained about the noise, but I don't see anyone mentioning it in their reviews here which I find odd. I also understand that the hotel can't control their surroundings, but had we known about the constant music, we would have picked another hotel for sure. Maybe the hotel can incentivise the villagers to keep their parties a bit more further from the resort? If people do not want to stay at Sojourn because of this, they will lose quite a few jobs and income. It's never smart to bite the hand that feeds you.. If you want to book at Sojourn and think you may be bothered if there's loud music being played, you should check with them in advance for an estimate of weddings/music noise during your stay.

All in all it was a good stay, but we may want to move on to try another hotel the next time we're back in Siem Reap which is a lovely place and feels special to us.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Travelbird0505
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I stayed for 5 nights in a Terrace Room. It was a wonderful stay.

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, we were spoilt. We were greeted at the airport by the hotel's calm and friendly driver, who brought us to the car and offered us a free drink. Siem Reap was flooded at the time, but the driver calmly and expertly navigated through the floods.

When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by the smiling receptionist Dom, who really made us feel welcome. A few minutes after we settled into our room, complimentary pancakes and tea were delivered.

Throughout the stay the staff all went out of their way to greet us by our first names, and provide the best service. They were always willing and eager to please. The personalised service was really fantastic and the highlight of the stay.

The room was clean and comfortable, and very nice. The bathroom was large and had a great stone look design. The toiletries were nice. There was also a little balcony/terrace with a view to the pool.

The pool and the gardens were beautiful and well maintained.

The restaurant was covered but open air, and it was very relaxing to sit there and eat amongst the gardens. The food was very good, and we ended up eating in the hotel restaurant most nights due to the fact that the hotel was about 5-10 minutes from town, and most nights it was raining or flooded, and we were usually tired after a day at the temples, so we usually chose to eat in the hotel rather than head out to town again. The restaurant served a good combination of Asian and Western food.

The only slight downside was that the location is a bit far out of town and not within easy walking distance to any shops or other restaurants. However it was a good experience to be away from everything, and would be suitable for people who don't necessarily want to be right in the middle of the action.

I did not use the hotel drivers apart from the drive to and from the airport, but they were excellent, just judging from those trips. The hotel did arrange for a guide for us, however we were not satisfied with him and dropped him after one day, not really the hotel's fault though.

I would not hesitate to stay here again and would definitely recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends