“Outstanding experience”

Sojourn Boutique Villas
Ranked #24 of 343 Hotels in Siem Reap
“Outstanding experience”
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

Wow what an unforgettable experience, we have travelled all over the world and this place rates with the very best. The staff are exceptional, especially Srey Leak, Sopheap & Nary - a real credit to their culture. Absolutely nothing was a problem. An example - one tour that we did, we didn't have the local currency, so Sojourn spotted us the cash to pay the tour operator. The facilities are great (considering Cambodias recent history) the food was awesome and spa treatment second to none anywhere. It's a little off the beaten path but it's worth it, away from the major chains and the hussle and bustle of Siem Riep, however that's only a 5 minute tuk tuk ride away ($3 dollars return). My family highly recommend this place, great value and the fact they are assisting the Cambodian people to regain their true identity is commendable. Well done Sojourn, we will be back one day. :D

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kellyclan-oz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This is the best place I've ever stayed, which is saying something. From the uber (but not overbearingly) friendly and helpful staff, to the beautiful grounds, to the food and the tours. And that doesn't even touch on the social responsibility practiced by the owners. Brilliant stuff.

The previous poster has a point about the wedding techno, but it certainly didn't wake me up; I found it more of a curiosity than an annoyance.

I'm sympathetic with another poster's desire to keep this place to herself. I'd like to think that Sojourn will raise the bar for resorts instead, though. It's really that good.

I suppose it's expensive by local standards, but compared to virtually anywhere else in the world it's a steal.

Room Tip: Gave the sleep quality a 4 because the beds are pretty firm (and I like a firm bed). Might be my ba...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 29 June 2013

First off, let me say this hotel was fabulous in terms of service, friendliness, and what it offers.

The problem is the location.

About a kilometer away, or less, there is a venue that apparently hosts weddings. What this means is that it blasts techo-type Khmer music nonstop for days on end. My hubby and I stayed at Sojourn for 5 days, and 4 of those days had non-stop techno. After the first night, the hotel provided earplugs to deal with the noise, but neither of us sleep well with those in. If it weren't for the music, I would have given the hotel 5 stars, and my hubby agreed.

They provide cold towels, they call you by name, and the food is very, very good. They have a nice wine and drink selection, and tried to do their very best to make sure that we were satisfied. Every member of the staff smiled at us, and did their level best to make sure we had a comfortable stay! No complaints about how the hotel was run. The owners are doing their best to help out the local community, and the activities they arrange (I took a cooking class) were very, very nice as well.

So, nicieties aside, the music woke us up on 2 of the days that we stayed there at about 6:30am. The other days had the music going very loudly at night, making it exceptionally hard to fall asleep.

I really wish I didn't have to write this up as a negative review, but if you're like me, you read the negatives to discover if what you're interested in has legitimate complaints. The noise complaints I saw (after the visit) were on the 'good' reviews... if I had known about the noise, I might have booked elsewhere, especially since the people that I met at the cooking class said that they didn't have music blasting them out during their stays at other hotels (the music was in earshot of the location of the cooking class).

The only negative thing about the stay was the lime-scale on the bathtub. Hubby didn't want to take a bath, even though it was sizeable, as he felt grossed out. We stayed in one of the stand-alone villas with the shower outside. My hubby didn't want to risk getting bitten by bugs, so we didn't use it, but it was nice to know we had the option.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Friendlygirlie
Buffalo, New York, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2013

From the moment of our arrival until we were dropped off at the airport - the hotel staff was amazing. We purchased the package that included a personal driver and guided tours of the temples, as well as some meals. The staff went out of their way to make sure we were more than comfortable. They were gracious and incredibly friendly. The hotel property is a little far from town (maybe a 10 minute drive), but because we had a driver - it never mattered. They took us in to town both nights we stayed for as long as we wanted. The hotel itself is gorgeous - all flowers and butterflies - excellently maintained. It consists of 9 or 10 bungalows. The rooms are modern, clean, and have aircon. The pool with a swim up bar was great as well - they will serve you beer or make you a fancy tropical drink. The restaurant had great food - and the breakfast was perfect as well - you could get eggs or crepes, or even special Cambodian treats made to order. The tour guide took us through the three main temples there. He gave us a lot of great information and always knew where to take the best pictures. I would stay here again, and I think my next trip to Cambodia will include this hotel. Also, although I went with friends - I think this would be a lovely place to stay solo - nice and quite, relaxing.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

Excellent is an understatement for this small yet beautiful property in siem reap. Firstly I would like to complement each and every staff at the resort. Their personal attention to every small details is amazing. I had unfortunately fallen sick on my second day in siem reap but I was amazed how much they all made it a point to ask me how I was feeling whenever they saw me. I had booked a weekender package. It includes sunset pack with wine, dinner, and lunch pack. It was all excellent and would really recommend to anyone whose going to siem reap. 'O koon thom thom' from me n my friend for ur service... (Khmer taught to us by the hostess at the hotel)

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sheetalakshekar
Houston, United States
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This cute little hotel was simply wonderful. They sent someone to pick us up from the airport (about 20 minutes). We arrived at night and they welcomed us with a special drink and snack. Our room on the second floor was large with a nice bathroom. The special soaps were great. We had arranged for a massage that same night. The massage was relaxing after a long day of travel. Breakfast was very good. We booked our own resident expert guide for the temples (Bunleat Horng). He was GREAT. We wished we could have stayed at the Sojourn more than one night. The staff was extremely nice and the room, pool and spa did not disappoint. I highly recommend this little gem.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I almost don't want to write this review for fear that you will all discover this place. Everything that could be done to make our stay a pleasure, at the hotel and out and about, was done. They have excellent optional tours, guides and experiences but didn't pressure us to use them at all, and arranged whatever else we wanted to do. The gardens and flowers were beautiful, the pool fantastic the restaurant... I was so sad to leave. We'll be back!

• Stayed June 2013