“Idylic”

Ranked #24 of 344 Hotels in Siem Reap
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“Idylic”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

The reviews I read back in Nov 12 were just too good to be true but they weren't. Didn't get the chance to try the spa treatments, but the swim up bar worked for me. Private villa, excellent on site food.

Called to arrange transfers to the hotel and always willing to help to accommodate transport requests. Wish I had more time as I would have liked to have taken the village tour as well.

No problem connecting with Wifi, even squeezing in a spot of work whilst enjoying the lovely quiet sanctuary that is the Sojorn.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2013

This is just a very beautiful place - perhaps one of the nicest small boutigue hotels we have ever visited from around the world. The staff is warm, friendly and inquesitive in a good way. The food and drinks are really outstanding considering where you are - you can almost get whatever you want. The pool area which is just adequate in size to the hotel is briilliant having the little pool bar. We stayed in one of the two rooms in the main building - just above the restaurant. It was very big and accommodated for all our needs. The atmosphere around the hotel is calm and chilled. It is perfectly located for exploring Siem Reap and Ankot Wat and its many temples. Though what stood out to us - besides the hotel staff themselves - was the owners of the place. These are truly very admirable people in regards to what they have achieved specifically in terms of what they have been able to do for the community through their now establised charity. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone - though it is ideal for a couple or a family with older children that do not require splash and fun but rather chilling in the shade perhaps with a good book. This resort is faced with a bright future and we certainly hope to be able to return one day. Thank you to all our friends at Sojourn Villas!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 July 2013

As lots of review said, staff at Sojourn is exceptional! I used to work for 5 star hotel but I've never experienced such a friendly service ever. We booked 3 night package at Sojourn, which included English speaking tour guide, but when they found out my parents cannot speak English, they organised Japanese & English Speaking tour guide for us! It was very kind of them!
As lots of people mentioned, this hotel is a little bit far from the center of city but who cares?? We came here for relaxing, enjoying beauty of Cambodia and experiencing local life. After I visited some of hotels in city, we were so happy to our decision of staying Sojourn. Hotel is beautiful, food at the restaurant is so nice (actually we ate most of our meals there!), and spa is outstanding. Thanks Sojourn. Hope we could visit your hotel again soon.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lovesunnyday255060
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Hotel is beautiful and staff very attentive. Impressed with everything. A little pricey for the location but with the hotel driver its ok. Very quiet. Good place to rest and relax after ruins. The only down is the wedding music down the road.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rodolfo1234
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

Wow what an unforgettable experience, we have travelled all over the world and this place rates with the very best. The staff are exceptional, especially Srey Leak, Sopheap & Nary - a real credit to their culture. Absolutely nothing was a problem. An example - one tour that we did, we didn't have the local currency, so Sojourn spotted us the cash to pay the tour operator. The facilities are great (considering Cambodias recent history) the food was awesome and spa treatment second to none anywhere. It's a little off the beaten path but it's worth it, away from the major chains and the hussle and bustle of Siem Riep, however that's only a 5 minute tuk tuk ride away ($3 dollars return). My family highly recommend this place, great value and the fact they are assisting the Cambodian people to regain their true identity is commendable. Well done Sojourn, we will be back one day. :D

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kellyclan-oz
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This is the best place I've ever stayed, which is saying something. From the uber (but not overbearingly) friendly and helpful staff, to the beautiful grounds, to the food and the tours. And that doesn't even touch on the social responsibility practiced by the owners. Brilliant stuff.

The previous poster has a point about the wedding techno, but it certainly didn't wake me up; I found it more of a curiosity than an annoyance.

I'm sympathetic with another poster's desire to keep this place to herself. I'd like to think that Sojourn will raise the bar for resorts instead, though. It's really that good.

I suppose it's expensive by local standards, but compared to virtually anywhere else in the world it's a steal.

Room Tip: Gave the sleep quality a 4 because the beds are pretty firm (and I like a firm bed). Might be my ba...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 29 June 2013

First off, let me say this hotel was fabulous in terms of service, friendliness, and what it offers.

The problem is the location.

About a kilometer away, or less, there is a venue that apparently hosts weddings. What this means is that it blasts techo-type Khmer music nonstop for days on end. My hubby and I stayed at Sojourn for 5 days, and 4 of those days had non-stop techno. After the first night, the hotel provided earplugs to deal with the noise, but neither of us sleep well with those in. If it weren't for the music, I would have given the hotel 5 stars, and my hubby agreed.

They provide cold towels, they call you by name, and the food is very, very good. They have a nice wine and drink selection, and tried to do their very best to make sure that we were satisfied. Every member of the staff smiled at us, and did their level best to make sure we had a comfortable stay! No complaints about how the hotel was run. The owners are doing their best to help out the local community, and the activities they arrange (I took a cooking class) were very, very nice as well.

So, nicieties aside, the music woke us up on 2 of the days that we stayed there at about 6:30am. The other days had the music going very loudly at night, making it exceptionally hard to fall asleep.

I really wish I didn't have to write this up as a negative review, but if you're like me, you read the negatives to discover if what you're interested in has legitimate complaints. The noise complaints I saw (after the visit) were on the 'good' reviews... if I had known about the noise, I might have booked elsewhere, especially since the people that I met at the cooking class said that they didn't have music blasting them out during their stays at other hotels (the music was in earshot of the location of the cooking class).

The only negative thing about the stay was the lime-scale on the bathtub. Hubby didn't want to take a bath, even though it was sizeable, as he felt grossed out. We stayed in one of the stand-alone villas with the shower outside. My hubby didn't want to risk getting bitten by bugs, so we didn't use it, but it was nice to know we had the option.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple