“small but perfectly formed”

Sojourn Boutique Villas
Ranked #31 of 374 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 20 July 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 5 days in July 2013. There was a complimentary pick up from the airport and it was great to see someone standing there waiting for us and even better that he had an air-conditioned car!

Check-in. Friendly helpful and efficient.

Rooms. Clean and nicely appointed with some furniture (desk a bit flimsy), comfortable bed, air-con, fan, kettle and safe. The villas have a covered verandah. Bathroom with drencher shower and big bath. Couldn't fault the room.

Staff. The staff are friendly and gracious. They really tried to make you feel very welcome and succeeded. Excellent staff.

Food. Breakfast was fine. A buffet of cereal, bread and fruit followed by a cooked dish. Fruit juices were lovely (particularly passion fruit juice). We only ate evening meals at the hotel twice. Food was fine but we wanted to go into town and wander about.

Hotel grounds. The hotel is comprised of a series of villas set around a pool and surrounded by a nice garden. The pool is salted (to keep the mosquitoes at bay I presume) and has a bar. The grounds are really very nice and the pool was great. I did not see much in the way of mosquitoes but there might be more at night. On a clear night the absence of light pollution makes the night sky a delight (but this is probably the time when you are most likely to get a mosquito bite so be careful). The hotel is a little way out of town and set in a local village. There was a wedding ceremony when we were there and there was some noise till until late at night but in all honesty this was not a problem. I could only just hear the bass notes of the party and it did not keep me awake for long. We have all stayed in hotels where other guests have banged doors or listened to loud TVs. It would be very churlish to complain about someone's wedding party wouldn't it? I loved our early morning breakfasts accompanied by the music from the nearby Buddhist temple. As I said before, the hotel is situated out of town but to get into town you just have to book a car. Our driver would pick us up and drop us off in town and wait for us at a pre-defined location and then drive us back. This cost US$5. We used the same guy for our daily trips away from the hotel and it cost between US$30 and US$50 a day. The higher prices relate to trips to far flung temples. It can be very hot and humid so having a guy waiting for you with cold water and a chilled towel in an air-conditioned car is a welcome luxury. Our driver, Hav, was also very knowledgeable and we were happy to let him choose what temples we should see.

Comments on Cambodia. It is a beautiful country with friendly and welcoming people. I get the feeling that the country is on the cusp of rapid development and that things will really change in the next few decades.

If you are looking for a big city hotel close to town then this hotel is probably not for you. If you want a small hotel in a quiet beautiful setting with friendly staff who are very keen to help you then I could not think of a better place. We liked it a lot.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 July 2013

The reviews I read back in Nov 12 were just too good to be true but they weren't. Didn't get the chance to try the spa treatments, but the swim up bar worked for me. Private villa, excellent on site food.

Called to arrange transfers to the hotel and always willing to help to accommodate transport requests. Wish I had more time as I would have liked to have taken the village tour as well.

No problem connecting with Wifi, even squeezing in a spot of work whilst enjoying the lovely quiet sanctuary that is the Sojorn.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 July 2013

This is just a very beautiful place - perhaps one of the nicest small boutigue hotels we have ever visited from around the world. The staff is warm, friendly and inquesitive in a good way. The food and drinks are really outstanding considering where you are - you can almost get whatever you want. The pool area which is just adequate in size to the hotel is briilliant having the little pool bar. We stayed in one of the two rooms in the main building - just above the restaurant. It was very big and accommodated for all our needs. The atmosphere around the hotel is calm and chilled. It is perfectly located for exploring Siem Reap and Ankot Wat and its many temples. Though what stood out to us - besides the hotel staff themselves - was the owners of the place. These are truly very admirable people in regards to what they have achieved specifically in terms of what they have been able to do for the community through their now establised charity. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone - though it is ideal for a couple or a family with older children that do not require splash and fun but rather chilling in the shade perhaps with a good book. This resort is faced with a bright future and we certainly hope to be able to return one day. Thank you to all our friends at Sojourn Villas!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2013

As lots of review said, staff at Sojourn is exceptional! I used to work for 5 star hotel but I've never experienced such a friendly service ever. We booked 3 night package at Sojourn, which included English speaking tour guide, but when they found out my parents cannot speak English, they organised Japanese & English Speaking tour guide for us! It was very kind of them!
As lots of people mentioned, this hotel is a little bit far from the center of city but who cares?? We came here for relaxing, enjoying beauty of Cambodia and experiencing local life. After I visited some of hotels in city, we were so happy to our decision of staying Sojourn. Hotel is beautiful, food at the restaurant is so nice (actually we ate most of our meals there!), and spa is outstanding. Thanks Sojourn. Hope we could visit your hotel again soon.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lovesunnyday255060
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Hotel is beautiful and staff very attentive. Impressed with everything. A little pricey for the location but with the hotel driver its ok. Very quiet. Good place to rest and relax after ruins. The only down is the wedding music down the road.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rodolfo1234
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Wow what an unforgettable experience, we have travelled all over the world and this place rates with the very best. The staff are exceptional, especially Srey Leak, Sopheap & Nary - a real credit to their culture. Absolutely nothing was a problem. An example - one tour that we did, we didn't have the local currency, so Sojourn spotted us the cash to pay the tour operator. The facilities are great (considering Cambodias recent history) the food was awesome and spa treatment second to none anywhere. It's a little off the beaten path but it's worth it, away from the major chains and the hussle and bustle of Siem Riep, however that's only a 5 minute tuk tuk ride away ($3 dollars return). My family highly recommend this place, great value and the fact they are assisting the Cambodian people to regain their true identity is commendable. Well done Sojourn, we will be back one day. :D

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kellyclan-oz
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This is the best place I've ever stayed, which is saying something. From the uber (but not overbearingly) friendly and helpful staff, to the beautiful grounds, to the food and the tours. And that doesn't even touch on the social responsibility practiced by the owners. Brilliant stuff.

The previous poster has a point about the wedding techno, but it certainly didn't wake me up; I found it more of a curiosity than an annoyance.

I'm sympathetic with another poster's desire to keep this place to herself. I'd like to think that Sojourn will raise the bar for resorts instead, though. It's really that good.

I suppose it's expensive by local standards, but compared to virtually anywhere else in the world it's a steal.

Room Tip: Gave the sleep quality a 4 because the beds are pretty firm (and I like a firm bed). Might be my ba...