“The best hotel I have ever stayed in”

Sojourn Boutique Villas
Ranked #29 of 365 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 1 September 2010

The hotel is clean and beautiful. The service is warm, friendly, and personal. The staff do everything they can to make you happy and comfortable. The food at the restaurant is DELICIOUS! Which in a way is too bad, because there was not much motivation to try restaurants in town. I also enjoyed getting massages in my room.

We booked a weekend package which made our quick trip to Cambodia very comfortable and convenient (transportation, food, a guide, etc. were all included).

I also appreciate that the hotel seems to have a social conscious (educating guests about Cambodia and its challenges with poverty, hiring people from the local village, sourcing local & sustainable products).

Thank you, Sojourn Boutique Villas for a great trip!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 August 2010

My partner & i recently visited Siem Reap. Our stay at Sojourn was wonderful. All though a small distance from the town which might not suit some people.
I found it totally refreshing. It was nice to return to some where quite, after a long day of site seeing.
There was all ways a tuk tuk driver available to take you into town if you wanted too.
The high light for me of our stay, was the staff. They were all so nice & made us feel very welcome. The setting was perfect. The villas very clean & spacious.
I have nothing but praise for Sojourn. I dont think any one would be disappointed with staying here. Alan power

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2010

It's all true: we had a most wonderful stay here. Thanks to all the staff. One of us especially enjoyed the cooking class. All the temple tours that they arranged were excellent; great staff.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Fantastic little boutique accommodation, clean, great food.. and they have a great 3 day getaway package!

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2010

Based on the reviews in Tripadvisor, we booked this hotel through agoda.com. My husband and I stayed 4D3N at the temple villa. It's a quaint place away from town but we enjoyed the quietness and ambience Sojourn provides. Service is very personal and the staff address you by your names. We liked the ala carte breakfast which was included in our package (my husband had their delicious pho beef noodles every day) and the different specialty dishes offered each day. The villa is spacious with a large tub for soaking, separate shower and an outdoor shower. My husband also enjoyed the body massage service which was done in the comfort of our villa. We had already arranged for our own driver (who also offered great service. http://www.angkorwat-driver.com), although the hotel also provides drivers and tours. Just some minor things to note: The furniture is a little rundown and needs some fixing, and satelite TV clarity is very much dependent on weather.

This is one of the few places we have stayed in our travels in Asia that offered a much needed respite from our usual busy lives.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We spent a week in Siem Reap and enjoyed tremendously the warm welcome and excellent service rendered to us by Anthony and Fiona (owners of Sojourn, The Villa and Beyond.Unique Escapes Travel) and their equally dedicated staff especially Mr. Lim, our English-speaking guide, and driver, Mr. Sokha. I am a photography enthusiast, and the prime reason I hauled my family (hubby and 2 very discerning teen kids) to Cambodia was to indulge in my hobby photographing the great temples of Angkor Wat, etc, while at the same time, find a balance during the course of the trip so my children wouldn't feel bored and left-out.

I booked the 6Day Photograher Package with Beyond Travel without accomodation. It was because Sojourn was already fully booked. All emails and questions were answered in a quick and efficient manner by Anthony. On the day of our arrival, we were met at the airport and given a warm welcome by Anthony himself, our guide par excellence Mr. Lim and Mr. Sokha, our ever-friendly and accomodating driver. They took us to our hotel and waited patiently to be checked-in. Unfortunately, the hotel couldn't accomodate our family of 4 in one room, and somehow we felt a bit funny and uncomfortable staying in this hotel that was not family-oriented. Anthony came to our rescue and after a few calls, offered a large room for us at The Villa, a sister hotel of Sojourn, for 3 days and then move to Sojourn for the rest of our stay. I would love to write another review regarding our very pleasant experience in the Photography Tour but this site is about hotel review, so I will stick to reviewing Sojourn Boutique Villas.

Sojourn Boutique Hotel is a few minutes tuk-tuk ride to Pub Street where u get your eats, kicks and what-not. Because we were on a private tour, we had a van at our disposal except when it was already way past dinner time and poor Mr. Sokha had to go home. Anyhow, getting a tuk-tuk back and fro from the hotel is never a problem. The reception will call one for u, and you can ask the tuk-tuk to wait for u to take u back, only for US$3 return. On one occassion that we had to take a tuk-tuk back from Pub Street to Sojourn, all we had to do was walk to the office of Beyond Travel located just around the corner from Pub Street. The staff there called one for us and there were no safety issues nor over-charging whatsoever.

We stayed in a roomy villa called The Temple Villa. There were one king-size bed, another built-in bay window bed and they put up an extra bed for our other child. With all these beds around, there were still a lot of space left for our baggages, working area for two laptops, photography equipment for two people, and space for a bit of rumble and tumble time for my hubby and teen-aged son. Our beds were so comfortable, it was hard to tear myself from my cozy sleep every single day.

We loved the bathrooms too! It was huge, with another private outdoor shower where u can shower while stargazing. There were full toiletry amenities, water pressure was strong, and it had a spa-like overall feel.

The pool was not that huge but there was no fault there. Its size was just right for a boutique villa like Sojourn. It was like an oasis especially coming back from a whole day of trekking, temple-climbing and exploration lugging a heavy camera around my neck and equipment on my back. Siem Reap's weather is hot and very humid, and a pool is an absolute must to freshen you up. It is ridiculous to imply that the owners should have a control over the water temperature of the outdoor swimming pool. We've been to many resorts around the world and I've yet to encounter an instance where the owners were blamed and a refund demanded because the water was too hot from the sun. Try doing that in Bali for example and let's see what kind of reaction you get.

Breakfast was good and served a la carte in an outdoor setting. I wish they would automatically provide a bread basket though. It would save a lot of time from having to ask all the time. But no demand was too much from any staff. They always politely obliged with a smile.

We enjoyed our stay here so much that we decided to stay another day. Alas, Sojourn was always fully-booked and they couldn't accomodate us extra night so we had to be rehauled back to The Villa. They arranged everything again and provided us with a van, helped us booked our onward flight to Phnom Penh, helped changed the time of the flight (can u tell how difficult customers we were) and also booked us a hotel there too. On our day of departure, we had to check-out at 12 noon from The Villa but we needed to take a shower first before we heed to the airport as we've been out shooting the temples again in the morning. There were no public showers at The Villa so we were kindly accomodated again by Sojourn and Mr. Sokha drove us back there to use their shower facility. What difference it made to feel clean and refresh before taking on the next league of our journey. It was also a good opportunity to see the staff again and bid them goodbye.

I would highly recommend taking the Village Tour as we could all learn a lot from seeing how the villagers live up close and personal. It is also a good way of supporting the charitable projects of Sojourn's owners and their friends for the people of this village. Please do and if you are in the position to help, your generosity would make a big difference on the livelihood of these people who have gone through hell and back and still keep giving out their genuine smiles, warmth and friendliness untainted.

I will definitely go back to Sojourn but this time, with my Photography Club. I will always make up a reason to keep going back to Sojourn and let Beyond Travel handle everything for me.

Our best regards to Anthony and Fiona, Mr. Lim and Mr. Sokha. Thank you for making our holiday a very pleasant and enjoyable one! Cheers from your newfound friends in Jakarta!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank Culturekiosque
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I honestly believe that I wouldn't have loved Cambodia so much if it wasn't for this hotel.

It's set amidst a living, breathing village 10-15 minutes from the hustle and bustle of Siem Reap. The gardens and decor are lovely, the pool is refreshing even if it isn't as cold as some people would have wished. The rooms are spacious, very clean and the bed is extremely comfortable. The service is unparalleled each and every member of the staff bend over backwards for you to make your stay wonderful. Add the ethically conscious owners who are working to minimize waste, electricity (solar cell panel,) and laundry, so your stay will have less negative impact on Cambodia, and you have yourself a winner.

The cold cloths offered before every meal and at arrival were a nice touch. The food was excellent. I'm a vegetarian and it's not always easy to get by when traveling. The chef made some amazing dishes and there were several veggie options to choose from on the menu already. If I'd had more time, I'd book the cooking class as I would undoubtedly have learned a lot from the kitchen. The toasted feta cheese greek salad and the a la carte breakfast was so yummy. Likewise the smoothies and fresh fruit drinks offered. I had just been severely food poisoned in Mongolia and my appetite wasn't very good, but the dishes from this kitchen made me very happy and full!

What stood out though even surpassing the wonderful place, was the hotel driver Sothea, who I had the pleasure of getting to know while he drove me around the temples and to far off villages during my 5 day stay. He was extremely professional, spoke English very well and doubled as a tour guide around the temples. I'm a solo female traveller with loads of expensive camera equipment and I am adamant about feeling safe when I travel. With Sothea I felt like royalty. He protected me and looked after me and spotted me 2 seconds after I exited a temple, and rushed to pick me up. He also accommodated all of my crazy photo ideas, stopping in the middle of nowhere to take photos and let me hang out the window to photograph fun moving objects on motorbikes. When Sothea shouted 'chicken' I rolled down the window, leaned far out with my camera ready in hand an shoot the impossibility of 100 live chickens strapped to a motorbike on their way to the market. Incredible! Sothea told me he had been Angelina Jolie's driver when she shot Tomb Raider. And he was a gentleman so he didn't reveal any gossip, so my gossip should stay safe with him, lol!

The stay at the Sojourn Boutique villas made my visit to Siem Reap absolutely magical. I will be back and I will stay for at least 10 days, to be able to take it all in. Both my thumbs are way up, I can't believe anyone can fault this hotel.

A word of advice though. Do book the tuk-tuks at the hotel to take you to town as the tuk-tuks in town will say yes when you ask them if they know where it is, and they have no idea and you waste a lot of time getting back instead of going with the hotel tuk-tuk drivers who'll be more efficient. (It costs the same.)

The only thing I wasn't 100% satisfied with, was the WIFI which didn't reach to my room and they 2$ an hour rental computer couldn't be used from my room either, because of the same problem. It would've been nice if they'd offered one guest computer for sharing as I missed being online.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo